• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

The End Is Here. Finally.

To wrap up my social experiment, after being benched for a very short period of time Jack now has found some love for the game.

He didn't continue to fill the net, he didn't continue to move his feet, he didn't continue to do anything good, really, but.. We've gone from a kid you would kick and fight and scream bloody murder to get out the door for practice to a kid who is genuinely disappointed when there isn't hockey on a any given night.

After losing 2 games to 1 to Mitchell in their loop (I never won in Mitchell either) he was pissed that it was all over for a year. (Parents were happy). He's now skipping soccer and going in to a Hockey School or two over the summer.

So.. To the coaches.. Thanks for benching my meathead kid, it meant a lot, now he wants to play.

He's not even expected to make the Atom Rep team next year lol

He's 9. We all hate soccer in our house. He's also on swim team and Karate. He's busy.

But I get your point, I was a switch-with-seasons kid myself.

Swimming and karate are perfect then.

Never mind what i said about soccer :)

No one cares what he looks like at 10.....don?t let him skip steps on development.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Hey guys, any tips for someone wanting to break into head coaching?

My current situation is that I'm living in Los Angeles and have been goalie coaching for bits and pieces of two years. I was also the assistant coach for one of the high school teams when I was working with their goalies. I know a few people but most of my hockey connections are back east where I played for 15+ years.

Anyway, connections aren't the issue, I can make that work, but I'm a goalie by trade. That is my bread and butter. I know the game and played at a high level but I've never attempted to translate that into coaching a TEAM. For any of you that coach or have coached, what are some tips for someone trying to break in?

My current situation is that I'm living in Los Angeles and have been goalie coaching for bits and pieces of two years. I was also the assistant coach for one of the high school teams when I was working with their goalies. I know a few people but most of my hockey connections are back east where I played for 15+ years.

Anyway, connections aren't the issue, I can make that work, but I'm a goalie by trade. That is my bread and butter. I know the game and played at a high level but I've never attempted to translate that into coaching a TEAM. For any of you that coach or have coached, what are some tips for someone trying to break in?

You’ll have no problem getting a HC job with your background, but chances are all the T1 jobs are probably taken for next season by now. Just to prove yourself and get your feet wet, see if there’s an AA or even A team you can take. Are the tier 2 midget teams in CA short season teams? That would be a good option if they are. You’re done by mid November.

have kids

I?m assuming you?ve done all the USA hockey coaching credentials? As an assistant were you strictly working with the goaltenders?

I think the best step is to work as an assistant away from the goaltenders, and preferably with a head coach that allows to to tell on responsibilities.

Last 6 years or so I?ve been doing that, almost like a mentoring program. Last season even taking the role of assistant.

Most of the AAA teams in LA will be hard to break into, like Mike said, try a different tier

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Well, back for another season with my god awful oldest son. Major Atom. Kid can fly, but is the proud owner of a two cent head when it comes to hockey. Hard to watch.

I'm sure everybody else has started, yes?

Back to coaching high school last two seasons after 4 years of comp.

We started a unofficial weekly skate, tryouts in October

Well, back for another season with my god awful oldest son. Major Atom. Kid can fly, but is the proud owner of a two cent head when it comes to hockey. Hard to watch.

He’a an atom, Dunny. Take it easy on him or he’ll tell you to go fuck yourself with hockey in couple of years

What age is Major Atom in Canada? 10?

He's 10, yes.

No major/minor, all lumped together but he's a major.

Coach stopped me before practice, they're picking house league teams and he has him as a 5 out of 5. Meaning he should go 1st round. I've known coach whole life, he's a Muppet that doesn't understand the game at all, got him to knock him down to a 3 so he has a chance to play with his friends. All it took was getting out of skating drills and in to a scrimmage situation lol.

My guy is playing Bantam Major this year...For whatever reason this year, so far, he's been pretty aggressive in delivering hits and mucking it up. Maybe some teenage hormones raging but whatever it is it's kind of fun to see.

On a side note, we were playing in the Massachusetts area a couple of weekends ago. One of our d-men delivered a big, clean, open-ice hit. Got called for a penalty more because of the result than the hit but the kid that got hit was down for a little. This shit rink we played at only had parent viewing along both ends of the rink, nothing in the middle, so the parents from both teams were intermingled along the glass. The father from the kid that delivered the hit gave a little cheer. One of the father's from the other team turned to him and said "you're cheering for that?" and then subsequently punched him in the face knocking him back into the sheet metal wall of the rink. I was right there so I pulled that dude off our guy and after a few minutes that dust settled. I looked back on the ice and all the kids had stopped playing and were watching this performance of parents behaving poorly. Fucking unreal that this type of shit still has to happen.

My guy is playing Bantam Major this year...For whatever reason this year, so far, he's been pretty aggressive in delivering hits and mucking it up. Maybe some teenage hormones raging but whatever it is it's kind of fun to see.

On a side note, we were playing in the Massachusetts area a couple of weekends ago. One of our d-men delivered a big, clean, open-ice hit. Got called for a penalty more because of the result than the hit but the kid that got hit was down for a little. This shit rink we played at only had parent viewing along both ends of the rink, nothing in the middle, so the parents from both teams were intermingled along the glass. The father from the kid that delivered the hit gave a little cheer. One of the father's from the other team turned to him and said "you're cheering for that?" and then subsequently punched him in the face knocking him back into the sheet metal wall of the rink. I was right there so I pulled that dude off our guy and after a few minutes that dust settled. I looked back on the ice and all the kids had stopped playing and were watching this performance of parents behaving poorly. Fucking unreal that this type of shit still has to happen.

Parents should be forced to watch from the internet.

Just wow.

And well too often I?ve witnessed terrible behavior from parents over the years. One bonus to high school, is the lack of parental involvement.

Damn! Not surprised. I sometimes feel like punching a parent. Most of the time from our own team