• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

I hear you, I just don't think those life lessons have to be learned so young, in something that's supposed to be fun.

I also don't need him in another environment where there's financial competition. It's bad enough with clothing and phones in school. I don't need him hearing that he's poor because we can't afford the top of the line stick or skates or weekly clinic everyone else is doing.

A lot of shit I hear from you and my neighbors has put me off.

The other day the guy across the street was telling me parents start their kids in school a year late hoping they'll be bigger than everyone else going out for football, rugby and LAX.

Insanity.

Yes, parents do start kids late, but in hockey you can't hide. It goes by calendar birth year. Just give Ryan the options. Let him go down what road he chooses. You pave the way. You're his father, best friend, and agent. Do what's best for him in your mind on a situational basis. Also, explain to him why you're going whatever route you choose without revealing that other people are scumbags. Come up with the where, when, what, and why. It doesn't have to be a saga, just a small explanation so they have an understanding of what's going on.

You can't dismiss something you know is accurate because you don't respect the source.

I don't agree with participation trophies anymore than having a kid learn C. R. E. A. M. at 5 years old.

All I'm saying is that they're the ones who complain about it the most. I see a ton of fb posts by moms that I know their kids are not very good at certain sports complaining about this and that. They're blinded by the love they have for their kids. It's not reality. Michael can hit a baseball 260 feet, he can play first base like a mother fucker, so when I hear parents complaining about why their kid doesn't get a chance to bat 4th, or play the field a lot, I know the reason why. With that said, he's 12 years old, no where near the best, no where near polished, no where near where anyone with a brain could think he's going to be x,y, or z. He loves getting hitting lessons. I take him every 2 weeks. I do it because HE loves it, AND he works hard at it. I don't get upset when the same mother(s) post about their kid making honors, so why do they get upset about Michael clearly being a better ball player by 1000 miles? It happens everywhere. Not just where I live. Fwiw, I wish my kids were honor students, but they're not, and it's ok with me. A's, B's, and C's are fine. Give me the same effort in school as you do on the ice and field, and I have no problem with it.

All I'm saying is that they're the ones who complain about it the most. I see a ton of fb posts by moms that I know their kids are not very good at certain sports complaining about this and that. They're blinded by the love they have for their kids. It's not reality. Michael can hit a baseball 260 feet' date=' he can play first base like a mother fucker, so when I hear parents complaining about why their kid doesn't get a chance to bat 4th, or play the field a lot, I know the reason why. With that said, he's 12 years old, no where near the best, no where near polished, no where near where anyone with a brain could think he's going to be x,y, or z. He loves getting hitting lessons. I take him every 2 weeks. I do it because HE loves it, AND he works hard at it. I don't get upset when the same mother(s) post about their kid making honors, so why do they get upset about Michael clearly being a better ball player by 1000 miles? It happens everywhere. Not just where I live. Fwiw, I wish my kids were honor students, but they're not, and it's ok with me. A's, B's, and C's are fine. Give me the same effort in school as you do on the ice and field, and I have no problem with it.[/quote']

That's a great post, repped when I get to my computer

• 3 weeks later...

Almost November. Games start this weekend.

3 tyke teams in my town and they always stack one for tournaments. They put my kid on the stacked team, don't know why, likely because coaches would rather deal with me than other parents who are certifiably insane.

He looks OK, looks like he belongs in skating drills, but then the pucks come out.....

Almost November. Games start this weekend.

3 tyke teams in my town and they always stack one for tournaments. They put my kid on the stacked team, don't know why, likely because coaches would rather deal with me than other parents who are certifiably insane.

He looks OK, looks like he belongs in skating drills, but then the pucks come out.....

He'll be a stud by year's end.

David broke his wrist agains the Bandits two sundays ago. out 8 weeks. fucking sucks

Get well soon. I know all too well what it's like to deal with an injured kid. It's not even about playing hockey, or baseball. You just don't want to see your kid hurting.

I've never heard of this phenomena. I knew GTHL coaches got paid I guess, but a guy was bitching about their Midget coach at work a few weeks ago and I told him to stfu because he's volounteering his time and doesn't deserve to be cut down for stupid shit. He then told me the Midget coach makes 50K/year. I was stunned.

I've never heard of this phenomena. I knew GTHL coaches got paid I guess, but a guy was bitching about their Midget coach at work a few weeks ago and I told him to stfu because he's volounteering his time and doesn't deserve to be cut down for stupid shit. He then told me the Midget coach makes 50K/year. I was stunned.

Certain coaches get certain amounts depending on the level.

I hear you, I just don't think those life lessons have to be learned so young, in something that's supposed to be fun.

I also don't need him in another environment where there's financial competition. It's bad enough with clothing and phones in school. I don't need him hearing that he's poor because we can't afford the top of the line stick or skates or weekly clinic everyone else is doing.

A lot of shit I hear from you and my neighbors has put me off.

The other day the guy across the street was telling me parents start their kids in school a year late hoping they'll be bigger than everyone else going out for football, rugby and LAX.

Insanity.

Don't the clubs up north have the funds to subsidize families who need help financially? I think the bottom line is if the kid is good, money will not be too much of an issue.