• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

• 6 months later...

Anybody get any guidance, yet?

I'm the new guy on our Executive Board, (Director of Player Development LMAO) and holy fuck, I almost fell off my socially distanced, outdoor, picnic table when I heard the new OMHA guidance tonight.

There's no competitive hockey, the entire age group is in one pool. Pick 3v3 teams, play your own Org plus one other social bubble Org. No playoffs. One coach. Full dressed at home. No penalty box, penalties are now awarded a PS.. And...

No checking. As in, no going within one stick length of any opponent. You have to stay socially distanced.. ON THE ICE.

I'm the new guy on our Executive Board, (Director of Player Development LMAO) and holy fuck, I almost fell off my socially distanced, outdoor, picnic table when I heard the new OMHA guidance tonight.

There's no competitive hockey, the entire age group is in one pool. Pick 3v3 teams, play your own Org plus one other social bubble Org. No playoffs. One coach. Full dressed at home. No penalty box, penalties are now awarded a PS.. And...

No checking. As in, no going within one stick length of any opponent. You have to stay socially distanced.. ON THE ICE.

I mean... It makes sense. They want to maintain some normalcy and social interaction for kids, as well as exercise.

I don't see the problem. It's better than telling everyone "stay home". It's a lost year. Everyone is just trying to figure it out as they go.

Our rinks are open. Wear masks, no lockerrooms, no water fountains, and only 1 of the 4 rinks & 1 of 2 rinks at the facilities were in use.

I think NYS youth hockey has given the go-ahead to start activities. Pre-cautions are rink based, not sure about play/league changes but it doesnt seem to be affected.

We're finishing up an 8-game summer season on Sunday. My rink was one of the few in the area that even kept ice during the height of COVID in our area.

No plans for Fall/Winter that I've heard. I think they should split Fall and Winter - do one from September-December and do one from January-March. Make it a shorter term decision/commitment for people and allow people to re-evaluate the situation in December.

Only real difference from the summer season was they encouraged us to not hang around in the locker rooms before/after games. I show up half dressed like a squirt, throw my skates on and just get out there.

We've already had a mini-tourney in Aston, PA and have played up at Chelsea Piers, CT. Full regular hockey. The only thing that we've seen is in PA the kids were only able to get their 30 minutes early instead of the normal 1 hour early and they took their temps upon entering. They also restricted parent viewership in PA but not in CT at all.

• 7 months later...

Our county just shut down youth hockey activities after there was an outbreak linked to a hockey tournament last weekend.

I logged into livebarn - there are still teams practicing right now, at that rink.

Our county just shut down youth hockey activities after there was an outbreak linked to a hockey tournament last weekend.

I logged into livebarn - there are still teams practicing right now, at that rink.

Was the shutdown mandated by the state you were in? Also, not sure if this is travel hockey, but wouldn't away games still be on ?

Was the shutdown mandated by the state you were in? Also, not sure if this is travel hockey, but wouldn't away games still be on ?

It's mandated by the county.

Teams are not allowed to leave to play games until further notice. I'm sure they still will. In November, everyone was going out-of-state to play games.

We got an email saying clinics and tryouts are still going as planned. And I saw another email notifying a team that they just added 2 more practices for this month. So...

Out of curiosity, i hopped back on livebarn (it's live camera's of the rinks). There are high school team practices, public skating, looks like a peewee/bantam clinic, and maybe an adult skate and shoot.

My son's team ended up playing over 60 games this year somehow. It was a ton of travel and ended on a sour note but still ended up being a real good season. They finished the year as the #13 ranked club in the U.S. Just narrowly missed out on a trip to Dallas for Nationals but hopefully we retool a little and make it there for the 16u year.

This will be a crucial off season for him. He needs to pack on 15lbs of muscle. Let's see if he's dedicated enough to make it happen!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Good luck Kev!!! Do you know Marcel Lavitman?

My son finished second leading scorer in the whole league and he’s a defenseman. Very exciting for him.

Yes. Plays for the Avalanch. Very good player. My son played against him a bunch when he played on the Cyclones.

Where is your son playing?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, josh said:

Just did a ton of work expanding/leveling the backyard rink area.

And then realized the plastic for this year is 8' shorter in width than we expected. 

Ice rink? Been thinking about getting synthetic ice but dunno anyone who has it to see how it is 

7 minutes ago, siddious said:

Ice rink? Been thinking about getting synthetic ice but dunno anyone who has it to see how it is 

I don't have it. Know people that do. It's a mix. Some got rid of it, and I know 1 guy that has it in the previous living room. I think it's shit for your stride, but that's from a perspective of someone that's going to judge your stride. 

9 hours ago, josh said:

I don't have it. Know people that do. It's a mix. Some got rid of it, and I know 1 guy that has it in the previous living room. I think it's shit for your stride, but that's from a perspective of someone that's going to judge your stride. 

Yea I imagined the skating on it was passable but not ideal. I am at my in-laws right now I would probably just get a small rink going to be able to get some shots on net

33 minutes ago, Morphinity said:

The synthetic ice totally wrecks your blades. A guy on my team said if you plan on using it for practice while still playing regularly on ice, either have a separate set of skates/steel for each or be prepared to sharpen after every use.

Especially if it’s worn out or if you are heavy

2 hours ago, siddious said:

Yea I imagined the skating on it was passable but not ideal. I am at my in-laws right now I would probably just get a small rink going to be able to get some shots on net

Are you just looking for a shooting board? Plastic for the ground to shoot off. 

Not sure how much land you have, but tiny rinks are not fun if you can’t take a stride or two. The cheap kits require an incredibly flat surface because there’s no depth in the plastic liner