• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

No, I don't know him. The rink just brought in a ton of new coaches from ProTech and other places plus I don't know many of the coaches from the older ages. They have a new hockey director at the rink that seems to want the program to expand. They will now have AA teams at Peewee and Bantam levels this year.

He's not a coach. He's a parent with 02 twins and another one at 00. He puts together 3 on 3's and other clinics. Real nice guy and he does a great job organizing and running things. I'm pretty sure he's tight with the 2 Russian coaches they just brought down there.

That doesn't include the privates, travel, hotel, food, gas, etc. lookin between 7-10 depending on what extras you do.

Or equipment!

I'm blown away by the time and money my parents spent on me playing. Including the annual rink in the backyard.

Or equipment!

I'm blown away by the time and money my parents spent on me playing. Including the annual rink in the backyard.

Yup .. fuckin kid is on his 5th set of pillows.

What an appropriate (re)tweet I just read...

Matthew Barnaby

Can I rep Barnaby? So fuckin true. Even if your kid makes a higher team and is a borderline player at that level, he's not going to get the ice time to develop. Tier 1 shortens the bench, they all play to win. They're better off at the next best level and developing and gaining confidence, which is huge.

Yup .. fuckin kid is on his 5th set of pillows.

Can I rep Barnaby? So fuckin true. Even if your kid makes a higher team and is a borderline player at that level, he's not going to get the ice time to develop. Tier 1 shortens the bench, they all play to win. They're better off at the next best level and developing and gaining confidence, which is huge.

No tier should be shortening the bench until Bantams.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying what happens.

Coaches who don't have a clue I guess.

I'm big at the Bantam level, kids start to find roles.

I understand it's never possible to get perfectly even ice time, but roll all 3 lines as equal as possible in all situations.

PP, PK, etc.

Only time I ever change that is in regards to a behavior modification ;)

Wish I would have seen this thread from the start.. Mikey you are exactly right, Tryouts started last night here for the Jr. Flyers.. My Dad and I were out there scouting over 70 16U players. 17 Goalies. His phone was ringing off the hook this week with parents trying to make sure my Dad and I knew which kids were there. AAA is SO political these days, it's actually sickening, and I've been a part of it for a while now. The problem that most people don't realize is EVERY AAA team has their tryouts the same nights. So the kids who don't make say, our AAA team, will try to bail early on tryouts, and go over to another AAA teams tryout for the 3rd night, just at the chance of making a AAA team.

It's really hectic, and you can learn a lot by just listening to the kids talk. I actually had a goalie telling me yesterday he was going to go out for another team, and 2 hours before tryouts his buddy texted him saying "so and so" weren't going to that teams tryouts anymore, so he switched plans, and came to ours. I don't know how the parents do it, I don't know how my Dad did it, and I am not sure how I am going to do it. It's pure craziness this week for all organizations with a AAA program.

Good luck to your Son, I hope he makes the team. Try and stay sane this week!

Wish I would have seen this thread from the start.. Mikey you are exactly right, Tryouts started last night here for the Jr. Flyers.. My Dad and I were out there scouting over 70 16U players. 17 Goalies. His phone was ringing off the hook this week with parents trying to make sure my Dad and I knew which kids were there. AAA is SO political these days, it's actually sickening, and I've been a part of it for a while now. The problem that most people don't realize is EVERY AAA team has their tryouts the same nights. So the kids who don't make say, our AAA team, will try to bail early on tryouts, and go over to another AAA teams tryout for the 3rd night, just at the chance of making a AAA team.

It's really hectic, and you can learn a lot by just listening to the kids talk. I actually had a goalie telling me yesterday he was going to go out for another team, and 2 hours before tryouts his buddy texted him saying "so and so" weren't going to that teams tryouts anymore, so he switched plans, and came to ours. I don't know how the parents do it, I don't know how my Dad did it, and I am not sure how I am going to do it. It's pure craziness this week for all organizations with a AAA program.

Good luck to your Son, I hope he makes the team. Try and stay sane this week!

Thanks, same to you. Unfortunately the fix was in. He was cut tonight. I'm not the parent that thinks their kid is the best. I am a proud one, but I'm realistic. I would be the first to tell you if he deserved it or not, or played like shit or not. He was better than the 2 kids they took. Neither one of them has a tight form, they're flailing all over the place, uncoordinated and sometimes lazy. I come to find out that one stand out skater came to the team on agreement they would take his friend. His friend is the goalie. In addition, the other goalie that's been there for the last 2 years has a father that makes sizable donations to the rink. Guess which 2 kids they took? I heard 3 kids in the locker room say that Michael was the best goalie out there even before they put the list up. The kids know better than anyone imo. 2 parents were saying all good things about Michael and I was standing near them. They didn't know I was his father. I don't care what level he plays at, I do care that the hard work he puts in day after day, week after week, etc .. deserves to be rewarded. It wasn't. /rant. Tomorrow is another day.

Sorry to hear that :( He'll get 'em next time. Hockey politics can be the worst.

I feel bad for him, not me. I don't mind spending the money as long as HE is enjoying it, working hard, and getting better. It's not about me, it's about him. He took this pretty hard. Kids aren't stupid. He came off the ice tonight with a huuuuge smile on his face. He was so confident that he made it.

I feel bad for him, not me. I don't mind spending the money as long as HE is enjoying it, working hard, and getting better. It's not about me, it's about him. He took this pretty hard. Kids aren't stupid. He came off the ice tonight with a huuuuge smile on his face. He was so confident that he made it.

How long are tryouts for you guys?

How many skates do they get in?

Sorry to hear about Michael.

Tell him that weird coach from Alaska says it matter NOT what Squirt or Pee Wee team you play on....or even Bantam for that matter.

What matter is ice time, pucks seen...and EFFORT put forth.

He NOW has the opportunity to motivate himself, become all the can this season on and off the ice.

Now it's time for him to put forth the effort for his NEW coach and team.....all that matter.

How long are tryouts for you guys?

How many skates do they get in?

Sorry to hear about Michael.

Tell him that weird coach from Alaska says it matter NOT what Squirt or Pee Wee team you play on....or even Bantam for that matter.

What matter is ice time, pucks seen...and EFFORT put forth.

He NOW has the opportunity to motivate himself, become all the can this season on and off the ice.

Now it's time for him to put forth the effort for his NEW coach and team.....all that matter.

3 days scheduled, they skated 2. I knew he was fucked when I saw the other goalie's dad smiling and joking around after tonight's skate and before the list was up. If my kid played like his kid did, I would have had myself, my son and his gear in the car before the list was even posted. That's how much of a difference there was. That's the problem Jay, this would have been a new coach and a new team, now he may want to go back to the old team and a lot of the kids aren't serious about playing hockey. It's a problem I was trying to avoid. He'll definitely make the AA team, which is just as good because he's an 02 playing with mostly 01's, but I don't know if he wants to go back to where he was just cut from. I think he'll want to go back to the Avs where the annoying kids are. (and parents)

Sorry to hear that Mikey.. What you just described was exactly my point.. ITS ALL POLITICAL. It's ridiculous. I am sorry for your son, but as you said, as long as he has fun and enjoys the season, it doesn't matter where he plays. Hell, it would be great if he went back to the Avs and beat the Colonials this season.

Goalies, in my opinion, are the most important part of a team at the younger ages, because there are SO MANY lousy goalies. I mean, I couldn't imagine being that age and hauling around that equipment. So of course there are more bad goalies then there are good, but it makes it that much more important to take the best ones. Politics and Hockey shouldn't be together, it's a damn shame that it interferes so often. The kids are the ones who suffer.

Sorry to hear that Mikey.. What you just described was exactly my point.. ITS ALL POLITICAL. It's ridiculous. I am sorry for your son, but as you said, as long as he has fun and enjoys the season, it doesn't matter where he plays. Hell, it would be great if he went back to the Avs and beat the Colonials this season.

Goalies, in my opinion, are the most important part of a team at the younger ages, because there are SO MANY lousy goalies. I mean, I couldn't imagine being that age and hauling around that equipment. So of course there are more bad goalies then there are good, but it makes it that much more important to take the best ones. Politics and Hockey shouldn't be together, it's a damn shame that it interferes so often. The kids are the ones who suffer.

I hate to say that about kids, but it's sooooo true. There's definitely more below average ones than average ones, and more average ones than above average ones. There are members on this board that have seen him play, he's fuckin good and his positioning is excellent most of the time. He's solid and has the legs and the ass of a 20 year old kid. He was sick this year for a 5 week stretch and missed more games and practices in those 5 weeks than he has combined in the last 6 years. He still finished with 29 gp and a 10-8-2 record with a 2.87 on a losing team. The cream always rises to the top. I'm not concerned about his play or what team he's on. I'm upset because he's upset.

Tough break for the kid, Mikey. I hate to hear shit like that. They are running a goalie camp at ProSkate now and I was talking to one father that I know that was there. His son is a Bantam level goalie and they had just left the Colonials program because of the political b.s. They said that even though the level at ProSkate is not the same as the Colonials, his experiences have always been better there. Hopefully your son can get back to his old program and just have fun while continuing to grow as a player.

Unfortunately, hockey is not the only sport like this. Baseball is known for it (and I have witnessed it first-hand). I'm sure just about every sport has these types of issues. The fix for it is just taking the kids that deserve to be there but you know that will never happen when money is involved.

Tough break for the kid, Mikey. I hate to hear shit like that. They are running a goalie camp at ProSkate now and I was talking to one father that I know that was there. His son is a Bantam level goalie and they had just left the Colonials program because of the political b.s. They said that even though the level at ProSkate is not the same as the Colonials, his experiences have always been better there. Hopefully your son can get back to his old program and just have fun while continuing to grow as a player.

Unfortunately, hockey is not the only sport like this. Baseball is known for it (and I have witnessed it first-hand). I'm sure just about every sport has these types of issues. The fix for it is just taking the kids that deserve to be there but you know that will never happen when money is involved.

You're spot on with this entire post. And yes, I'm familiar how it works in baseball too. Michael plays AAA club baseball too and there was so much shit going on that more than 1/2 the team left. Funny thing is that they won the championship and were in the newspaper. lol. Parents are assholes. I'm not paying anyone off or sucking anyone's dick. Eventually there will come a time when that doesn't matter.

Sucks for the kid. I hated those days. Try your hardest, stand out, and still doesnt pay off. But, eventually it will.

After these tough tryouts, I remember going to hockey camps hosted by Canadian or out of state groups. They used to come in and quickly gush all about my skating and playing abilities to the other kids... even though they made the Tier I and I was II for the upcoming season.

Eventually you feel bad for all the kids that were pushed along... they get to Bantams, Juniors, HS and they are so far behind everyone else its not even funny. Other kids that kept working, even though they were cut, keep progressing. Use it as motivation. And like they said, he might end up on a 'fun' team, get a ton of playing time, and beat up on some teams.

Not sure how many kids I had play NCAA Div 1 over the years.........

We had around 80 or so in a 10 year span, so I probably had around a 3rd of them.

I'll tell you this...a LARGE majority of them were never AAA, Tier 1, or Major players at the Squirt or Pee Wee level.

Hell, the only NHL player I had was Tier 3, Tier 4 at the Pee Wee and first year Bantam level.

Typically it's the guys who get after it from age 14-17 that go somewhere.

Everything before that is just development.

Not sure how many kids I had play NCAA Div 1 over the years.........we had around 80 or so in a 10 year span, so I probably had around a 3rd of them.

I'll tell you this...a LARGE majority of them were never AAA, Tier 1, or Major players at the Squirt or Pee Wee level.

Hell, the only NHL player I had was Tier 3, Tier 4 at the Pee Wee and first year Bantam level.

Typically it's the guys who get after it from age 14-17 that go somewhere.

Everything before that is just development.

Agreed. I've seen it and heard it from numerous coaches.

Sucks for the kid. I hated those days. Try your hardest, stand out, and still doesnt pay off. But, eventually it will.

After these tough tryouts, I remember going to hockey camps hosted by Canadian or out of state groups. They used to come in and quickly gush all about my skating and playing abilities to the other kids... even though they made the Tier I and I was II for the upcoming season.

Eventually you feel bad for all the kids that were pushed along... they get to Bantams, Juniors, HS and they are so far behind everyone else its not even funny. Other kids that kept working, even though they were cut, keep progressing. Use it as motivation. And like they said, he might end up on a 'fun' team, get a ton of playing time, and beat up on some teams.

This is what I was thinking. It's these rich people who think that money entitles them to everything that are ultimately setting their own kids up to fail by buying their way on to these teams, and they are doing a disservice to the other 20 or so kids because now they have a weak link on the team (in this case in goal) and really, you can only "buy" your kid in for so long.

Or maybe you can buy them into places forever. What do I know?

This is what I was thinking. It's these rich people who think that money entitles them to everything that are ultimately setting their own kids up to fail by buying their way on to these teams, and they are doing a disservice to the other 20 or so kids because now they have a weak link on the team (in this case in goal) and really, you can only "buy" your kid in for so long.

Or maybe you can buy them into places forever. What do I know?

It has less to do with money, and more to do with the parents who completely overwhelm their kids with hockey.

They live and die with every shift, game, tryout, camp, etc.

We call them umbrella parents.

Their kids are usually done by Bantams.

It has less to do with money, and more to do with the parents who completely overwhelm their kids with hockey.

They live and die with every shift, game, tryout, camp, etc.

We call them umbrella parents.

Their kids are usually done by Bantams.

Not over here. It's all about the Benji's in the east.