• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

You guys are making the same mistakes we started around 15 years ago, (we have since fixed).

We have our tryouts in September, when hockey tryouts are SUPPOSE to be.

No longer the issues of kids swapping, hopping, or being recruited by different teams.

Top tier has tryouts one week.

2nd tier the week after.

3rd tier the week after that.

If you make the team, you sign the contract that night. The organization has to sign a release if you want to leave. You're they're property from now until next March. Tier 1 practices start in 2 weeks.

September seems late. I remember having tournaments right when school started (1st/2nd week in Sept), so we were already practicing by then.

Unless they changed some regulations in the last 20 years. shit I am getting old.

NJ Colonials

Oh yes, very good club......way good.

A Pee Wee team in our league is 3rd In the nation at Tier 2.

But split with 5 of the top 10 teams in the Tier 1 this season

(Chicago Mission, Little Ceasers, Anaheim Ducks, LA Jr Kings).

Was not a fun team to play against.

September seems late. I remember having tournaments right when school started (1st/2nd week in Sept), so we were already practicing by then.

Unless they changed some regulations in the last 20 years. shit I am getting old.

They have tournaments while the kids are still in school. There are a lot of tournaments available every month.

They have tournaments while the kids are still in school. There are a lot of tournaments available every month.

Yes. But when I did those, it was always on a spring/summer team. My 'real' teams played in those tourneys.

Oh yes, very good club......way good.

A Pee Wee team in our league is 3rd In the nation at Tier 2.

But split with 5 of the top 10 teams in the Tier 1 this season

(Chicago Mission, Little Ceasers, Anaheim Ducks, LA Jr Kings).

Was not a fun team to play against.

Mission, Ceasars, Blues, Ducks, LA Kings, South Shore Kings (MA), Mid Fairfield Yankees, Compuware, etc ... are all ranked in top 20 at every level. They have sick programs. Those are truly hand picked select teams. I don't think they even entertain tier 2 hockey.

Yes. But when I did those, it was always on a spring/summer team. My 'real' teams played in those tourneys.

That's what I meant. They have them now in May and June. Michael plays on a spring/summer team too so after he makes a team for next year he can't play in a tournament with the spring team if his real team is entering it. He has to play with them.

Morristown? They have a pretty impressive program. I don't know all the different classifications yet but their top Mite team last year was sick as was their squirt team.

Their 01 team could beat the Islanders. I hope he wants to stay there to play AA if he gets cut from AAA.

Their 01 team could beat the Islanders. I hope he wants to stay there to play AA if he gets cut from AAA.

Out of curiosity what is the cost associated with that level? I heard that those AAA teams run around $5,000 per season. Is this accurate?

I personally think the summer tourney's are silly as hell, (and so does USA hockey ADM).

In regards to tryouts, why would you not want to wait as LONG as possible?

Kids develop over the summer, grow, focus, etc.

What you have in March maybe completely different then 5 months later in September.

Thanks. My son is a 2005 and he showed some real promise in his first travel season. He is moving up to squirt level this year (as an 8 y.o.). Just wanted to know what I'd be looking at if he keeps progressing at this rate.

Guess my kid is sticking to rec hockey.

It really is way out of control. I knew it was expensive when we started but I would never have guessed that it would get up to $5,000 + a season. I'll be paying around $3,000 for this season if he makes Squirt B. I have two other, younger, sons too. Thankfully my middle guy doesn't seem to be too interested in playing ice hockey.

Keep him there till he is 10 or 11.

Then you will know.

The team I took over cost 6k per player last season.

We drove the costs down to 1700 per player, (not counting sponsorships).

In 12-13 years it's just going to be double LOL.

I personally think the summer tourney's are silly as hell, (and so does USA hockey ADM).

In regards to tryouts, why would you not want to wait as LONG as possible?Kids develop over the summer, grow, focus, etc.

What you have in March maybe completely different then 5 months later in September.

Nobody wants to lose whatever players are in their organization. Out of site, out of mind. Too much can happen in those months to make families leave the team they were with the season before. That's my guess. It's a lot different here than it is by you. A LOT different.

It really is way out of control. I knew it was expensive when we started but I would never have guessed that it would get up to $5,000 + a season. I'll be paying around $3,000 for this season if he makes Squirt B. I have two other, younger, sons too. Thankfully my middle guy doesn't seem to be too interested in playing ice hockey.

What team is he on?

Nobody wants to lose whatever players are in their organization. Out of site, out of mind. Too much can happen in those months to make families leave the team they were with the season before. That's my guess. It's a lot different here than it is by you. A LOT different.

We had to get all the organizations together, (something I worked hard on).

And simply say, this is when we will all have tryouts.

Now in our area it was no big deal, we run it like Canadian towns.

One organization representing interior Alaska.

Top 17 make one team, next 17 make the next, etc, etc.

Guess my kid is sticking to rec hockey.

That doesn't include the privates, travel, hotel, food, gas, etc. lookin between 7-10 depending on what extras you do.

NJ Stars out of Proskate in S. Brunswick

Was just there for 3 on 3 tournys. You know Boris Sherman?

No, I don't know him. The rink just brought in a ton of new coaches from ProTech and other places plus I don't know many of the coaches from the older ages. They have a new hockey director at the rink that seems to want the program to expand. They will now have AA teams at Peewee and Bantam levels this year.