• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

You will find the kids that aren't getting burnt out at age 8,9,10 and 11 are the ones that have much better long term development.

Just make sure he's getting ice time. Believe me, it's all going to be about size, strength, and speed after Bantams. Obviously a foundation of fundamentals are key, but you don't need Tier 1 at squirt level for that.

Remind him a sheet of ice at Tier 4 is the same as Tier 1.

It's the effort he puts forth that matters.

And most importantly, just make sure he's having fun.

Best of luck next season.

Thank you! It's amazing how many parents lose sight of the fun part. They're just kids playing a game. Let them enjoy it a bit!

• 2 weeks later...
My son made the highest Tier 2 squirt team at the new place. They told us that are team will be practicing with the Tier 1 kids the whole season so that they can keep a constant evaluation of all the players between the two teams. Our team is made up of all 05's (just like the Tier 1) so roster changes could be made up until December 31 (or so they say). There are some real talented kids on both teams. My son is excited about what this season can bring.

I was bitching about it to a guy I was golfing with this morning. Then he tells me he's coaching one of the entries.

Up until age 8/9 or so

Simply spread the kids out evenly and let em play. Maybe one group for brand new skaters, but that's it.

Comp teams that young are more about idiot coaches and parents

Oh you're so right. It's all about the parents.

I didn't comment originally because I thought you were joking! I can't believe that they will try that level at that age...I'm curious how many of those kids are still playing by the time they hit 15.

• 3 months later...

Just got our practice, and game schedule. Game schedule isn't complete as of yet, but with tourny games included we're looking at about 50-55 games, with 75 practices. First game is 8/23, and I can't wait for the season to start.

I'm not expecting much from Michael early on, as he's been on the shelf for a month with permanent fractures in both sesmoid bones. Those are the bones that are the balls of your feet under the big toe. He was in a boot for 3 weeks. The left is worse, because of all the problems he has with the left knee, which causes atrophy in the rest of leg, groin, and foot. He had to get custom inserts made for his skates, which cost $460, and they take 1-2 weeks to come in. The bones will always be fractured, and screwing them back together won't ease the pain, or inflammation. Fun stuff.

Just got our practice, and game schedule. Game schedule isn't complete as of yet, but with tourny games included we're looking at about 50-55 games, with 75 practices. First game is 8/23, and I can't wait for the season to start.

I'm not expecting much from Michael early on, as he's been on the shelf for a month with permanent fractures in both sesmoid bones. Those are the bones that are the balls of your feet under the big toe. He was in a boot for 3 weeks. The left is worse, because of all the problems he has with the left knee, which causes atrophy in the rest of leg, groin, and foot. He had to get custom inserts made for his skates, which cost $460, and they take 1-2 weeks to come in. The bones will always be fractured, and screwing them back together won't ease the pain, or inflammation. Fun stuff.

What the fuck does this cost you for a year?

Hockey is obviously more expensive here, than by you or Puck. What do you think it costs? What do you think is fair?

Looking at those numbers, (per player), and estimating 250 per hour of ice.

Practices (since they are still Pee Wee), and split up 40 Full Ice and 35 Half Ice.

Per Player

Practice Ice - 900.00

Game Ice - 550.00 (average of 10 per player, should also cover Ref costs, etc).

Jersey's/Warm up Gear- 300.00

Coaches Pay- 200.00

That puts it around 2k, i'll estimate up for around 2.5k to cover whatever.

With 75 practices, and around 35 game per season, it costs my Pee Wee parents around 1400 if they had jersey's from last season, 1800 for a new player.

Looking at those numbers, (per player), and estimating 250 per hour of ice.

Practices (since they are still Pee Wee), and split up 40 Full Ice and 35 Half Ice.

Per Player

Practice Ice - 900.00

Game Ice - 550.00 (average of 10 per player, should also cover Ref costs, etc).

Jersey's/Warm up Gear- 300.00

Coaches Pay- 200.00

That puts it around 2k, i'll estimate up for around 2.5k to cover whatever.

With 75 practices, and around 35 game per season, it costs my Pee Wee parents around 1400 if they had jersey's from last season, 1800 for a new player.

I'm moving to Alaska.

I'm moving to Alaska.

That 1400-1800 included renting stupid greyhound bus's and driver every time we went to anchorage (2-3 trips).

Also my coaches nor I took a dime, and I took care of coaches hotel rooms.

With a corporate team sponsor (my company), it knocked each players cost down 350.

So in actual they paid 1100-1400

Each player can get individual sponsors so most at the end of the day were under 1k for the season (my goal).

I get really upset at my hockey costs, but they are a little cheaper.

$300 for registration

$300 more you can make back with volounteer hours (Almost impossible with my job, but I'm going to try)

$250 more in fundraising you pay up front and make back as you sell the raffle tickets. Nobody buys the raffle tickets because every kid in town is selling them. Everyone you ask is also desperately trying to sell the same tickets. hahahaha

$200 more if you add on both power skating sessions (fall/winter)

Probably 25 practices, 3 tournaments and 15 games. This is for 6 year olds though.

I had 3 cousins from same family playing AAA at once. My Aunt and Uncle do pretty well but they had to tell the youngest that AAA would have to wait until his brothers were graduated to junior. It was a tremendous financial burden to have 3 kids in AAA. He stayed away from AAA until Midget. He ended up being the best player of the 3 by a country mile.

Also, my best man in my wedding is moving up the coaching ranks in junior C (haha) I think he'll get a head coach gig next year, so Dunny may be making a return to behind the bench if I can find a real job around home. I'd love to get back in to it.

our organization "aviator" got a tier I status this season. so our AA squirt team automatically moved up to play the AAA league that only has like 5 other teams. this sucks ass and not only because we're going to get blown out every league game but the stupid travel too. we'll be spending more time driving than playing. I fucking hate it

our organization "aviator" got a tier I status this season. so our AA squirt team automatically moved up to play the AAA league that only has like 5 other teams. this sucks ass and not only because we're going to get blown out every league game but the stupid travel too. we'll be spending more time driving than playing. I fucking hate it

Yeah, everyone wants that 3rd A. They're watering everything down. 2 reasons:

1. Bragging rights.

2. $$$$