• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

Season going good so far. 19-8-2 over all, 6-1-1 in the league, 30 gf and 5 ga ... the loss and tie was to the same team. It'll most likely be us or them coming out of the north with a shot at Nationals.

"That PDO is absurd, they're going to regress at some point."

-Phil, probably.

Hah, I kid. Cool seeing this stuff, I think youth sports are really fascinating. Like seeing stuff like this work out.

3. Stay with Avs, be an assistant, and build a strong AA team to try to go to Nationals with, while playing a competitive non league schedule and tournaments. We put A LOT of work into this, A LOT ! It's early, but we're currently 9-1-0 and ranked 5th in the country out of over 500 teams.

Do you guys ever play the Rochester Monarchs, out of curiosity?

"That PDO is absurd, they're going to regress at some point."

-Phil, probably.

Hah, I kid. Cool seeing this stuff, I think youth sports are really fascinating. Like seeing stuff like this work out.

Do you guys ever play the Rochester Monarchs, out of curiosity?

We've been in the same tournys, but never met.

• 3 weeks later...

I was running practice yesterday with my son's team and I got obliterated from behind by one of the 11 y.o's. I was running a one-on-one drill where the defenseman goes behind the net, hits the forward with an outlet pass, and then the forward carries the puck outside the zone, around a cone, and then re-enters for a 1 v 1 coming back in the zone. To get multiple and quick reps I split the zone in half (lengthwise) and instruct them to stay on their side of the ice. I got lazy and didn't set up cones down the middle to give them the visual aid of what their side of the ice was. So there I was, watching both sides doing the drill when the forward on my right side swung way to the middle causing the d-man to sweep the back of my legs out! I landed right on my back to the amusement of all the kids.

Any one else ever get taken out during practice? I've been hit with pucks before but this was the first time I actually got deposited.

Last practice tonight before a well needed break. No practice next week, and no games until 1/7. Ahhhhhhhhhh

And tonight's practice is just a scrimmage with the coaches playing too !! I'll put my shins and pants on and use tonight to get in game shape for the annual coaches game on Xmas Eve morning. I love playing with and being embarrassed by former players from the NHL, AHL, D1, as well as current Major Junior players home for break.

Last practice tonight before a well needed break. No practice next week, and no games until 1/7. Ahhhhhhhhhh

And tonight's practice is just a scrimmage with the coaches playing too !! I'll put my shins and pants on and use tonight to get in game shape for the annual coaches game on Xmas Eve morning. I love playing with and being embarrassed by former players from the NHL, AHL, D1, as well as current Major Junior players home for break.

I can barely hang with 11 y.o's. I would want no part of playing against 18-29 y.o. studs! Sounds like fun though. Our last practice is tomorrow. Just found out we have the full sheet and I'm running practice so I'm going to suit up too. I let them wear their favorite jersey's on this last practice before the break just to keep it even more loose. I'll have to work in some drills first because there is no way I'm scrimmaging for 1:20!

I can barely hang with 11 y.o's. I would want no part of playing against 18-29 y.o. studs! Sounds like fun though. Our last practice is tomorrow. Just found out we have the full sheet and I'm running practice so I'm going to suit up too. I let them wear their favorite jersey's on this last practice before the break just to keep it even more loose. I'll have to work in some drills first because there is no way I'm scrimmaging for 1:20!

We're letting them run loose tonight too. No drills ... just drop the puck and go !!

• 2 weeks later...
Have a pretty legit prospect on my Bantam team.

He's the reason I started coaching again, my neighbor and I wanted to work with him.

He's kinda tearing it up and on his way to a top CHL draft pick and further.

Alaska Oilers player ?

Alaska Oilers player ?

Nope, he plays on my tier 3 team all season, (house) and has done two trips with North Stars.

Back in November he played in that border classic, top 10 AAA teams in Ontario and Quebec, and 8 of top 10 American AAA teams.

He was 3rd in scoring in tourney, two kids ahead of him are generation prodigy's from Ontario and considered the "next" ones.

He just wrapped up the Pat Quinn Classic this morning, (AAA).

He lead his team to championship win, and was awarded tourney MVP. I'm hearing he pretty much dominated.

Last years MVP of the tourney is considered one of the top American prospects in a few birth years, and the leading scorer was is that Japanese kid all over youtube.

Nope, he plays on my tier 3 team all season, (house) and has done two trips with North Stars.

Back in November he played in that border classic, top 10 AAA teams in Ontario and Quebec, and 8 of top 10 American AAA teams.

He was 3rd in scoring in tourney, two kids ahead of him are generation prodigy's from Ontario and considered the "next" ones.

He lead his team to championship win, and was awarded tourney MVP. I'm hearing he pretty much dominated.

Last years MVP of the tourney is considered one of the top American prospects in a few birth years, and the leading scorer was is that Japanese kid all over youtube.

We have a kid on our team from Japan that used to play with that kid. The kid on our team is solid, but nothing like the other kid.

Goes back to my original points Mike that we've talked about.......... it's all about the practice.

My house team stomps most comp teams this season, and in fact we only lost to that Oilers comp team last week 4-5, (and I had 3 players gone, including this kid).

I just talked to him on the phone, I sounded zero impressed, and simply told him it's time to fly home and get back to work ;)

I'm giddy here, but absolutely grounding this kid any chance I get.

Goes back to my original points Mike that we've talked about.......... it's all about the practice.

My house team stomps most comp teams this season, and in fact we only lost to that Oilers comp team last week 4-5, (and I had 3 players gone, including this kid).

I just talked to him on the phone, I sounded zero impressed, and simply told him it's time to fly home and get back to work ;)

I'm giddy here, but absolutely grounding this kid any chance I get.

Send him to billet with me to finish our season out on our way to Nationals !! I'll pay for everything ! Hurry up, we only have 2 days to roster him !

• 2 weeks later...
In another move that'll make you shake your head about parents...there is an '03 kid in our organ-i-zation who is a pretty solid player but he has taken 8 two and 10's over the first half of the season for checking from behind. On top of that he has three other 10 minute misconducts for different infractions. The '03 coach suspended this kid, after the 8th checking from behind penalty, prior to the Christmas break for one practice and two games. The coach's reasoning is that this kid is clearly not getting the message, is hurting the team with his constant penalties, and he is actually afraid that this kid might seriously hurt someone and thus reflect poorly on him (as the coach) and the organization as a whole. The kid's response? He quit the team. And his parents were on board with his quitting b/c they felt that the suspension was too harsh. And his father was a parent helping out as an assistant coaching the team and knew first hand how much his son's penalties were hurting the team. Just makes me wonder where people are coming from nowadays.

With knowing very little about this situation, sounds like this kid might not be suited for sports. He's u14 now (I also have 03's), and should be able to figure that out by now.

And it's becoming more common to find parents unwilling to hold their kids accountable.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

In another move that'll make you shake your head about parents...there is an '03 kid in our organ-i-zation who is a pretty solid player but he has taken 8 two and 10's over the first half of the season for checking from behind. On top of that he has three other 10 minute misconducts for different infractions. The '03 coach suspended this kid, after the 8th checking from behind penalty, prior to the Christmas break for one practice and two games. The coach's reasoning is that this kid is clearly not getting the message, is hurting the team with his constant penalties, and he is actually afraid that this kid might seriously hurt someone and thus reflect poorly on him (as the coach) and the organization as a whole. The kid's response? He quit the team. And his parents were on board with his quitting b/c they felt that the suspension was too harsh. And his father was a parent helping out as an assistant coaching the team and knew first hand how much his son's penalties were hurting the team. Just makes me wonder where people are coming from nowadays.

It always scared me that when my son played when that happened and lucky his it didn't happen often. The hit from behind always made me nervous when my son played.

It always scared me that when my son played when that happened and lucky his it didn't happen often. The hit from behind always made me nervous when my son played.

By far the most dangerous thing that I see in hockey. Very dangerous, scary, collision.

Why don't you just say his name - it's pretty easy to figure out who you're talking about lol

With knowing very little about this situation, sounds like this kid might not be suited for sports. He's u14 now (I also have 03's), and should be able to figure that out by now.

And it's becoming more common to find parents unwilling to hold their kids accountable.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Isn't that a sad testament to our society? Can you imagine your parents having that mentality? My parents certainly didn't.

Another one: A kid on my team told a fellow parent that if he didn't score a goal in our last game his dad was taking away his iPhone. WTF is that?

Isn't that a sad testament to our society? Can you imagine your parents having that mentality? My parents certainly didn't.

Another one: A kid on my team told a fellow parent that if he didn't score a goal in our last game his dad was taking away his iPhone. WTF is that?

I'm from a little older generation in regards to my parents.

I believe my dad would be around 86 if still alive. Much different parenting.