• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

Not sure where this should go, but was wondering if I could start a thread in regards to hockey development.

Topics could range from youth players, hockey camps, adult skills, dryland or of ice training, etc.

Mod's, feel free to delete, move, etc

Is there someone to give attention to goalies at every level in your organization, or is it just your squad? Michael's goalie coach backed up Quick at UMass and the other one played professionally in Germany. They're both good guys but they don't make their way onto the rink for every single team. So many teams practice at the same time, it's nearly impossible. We have 4 rinks in our building.

During our sheet of ice, we just happen to have those two guys always there, (son's are on team).

Question for you Mike, or anybody else on the forum.

I'm looking into off ice training.

Flew down to meet with a group in Anchorage last week, who are putting the finishing touches on a indoor training facility.

The USA and Canadian ADM insist on this off ice training for development, and with the skyrocketing costs of ice time, (and availibilty)...I believe these dryland centers will become more popular.

The group wrote grants, and received a large donation from the company I actually work for.

Any experiences with this?

During our sheet of ice, we just happen to have those two guys always there, (son's are on team).

You're lucky, and so are your goalies. Sometimes coaches can get so worked up or distracted in practicing with the players for a number of reasons (bad games on the weekend, kids in a fog, etc ..) that the goalies get ignored. I don't see anyone making it to the next level unless they have separate lessons, private instruction, do extra camps, etc ... Also, the kid has to want to do it. I don't sign Michael up for anything he doesn't want to do. Actually, I don't tell him about certain things because I don't want to do it.

Question for you Mike, or anybody else on the forum.

I'm looking into off ice training.

Flew down to meet with a group in Anchorage last week, who are putting the finishing touches on a indoor training facility.

The USA and Canadian ADM insist on this off ice training for development, and with the skyrocketing costs of ice time, (and availibilty)...I believe these dryland centers will become more popular.

The group wrote grants, and received a large donation from the company I actually work for.

Any experiences with this?

Absolutely worth it. There is a Maxibility Gym and Cross Fit Center upstairs in our rink. http://www.maxability.net/Michael does it every week. The trainers are great and it's A LOT of work. These kids get in great shape, it's awesome. No heavy weights yet, but the other stuff they do has made them solid. Here's a typical day:

30 burpies

10 flights of stairs

20 curls with 5lb weights

20 sit ups

repeat it and delete 2 flights until you're at zero. So

30 burpies

8 flights

20 curls

20 sit ups

Then 5 miles on the stationary bike when it's all over.

Absolutely worth it. There is a Maxibility Gym and Cross Fit Center upstairs in our rink. http://www.maxability.net/Michael does it every week. The trainers are great and it's A LOT of work. These kids get in great shape, it's awesome. No heavy weights yet, but the other stuff they do has made them solid. Here's a typical day:

30 burpies

10 flights of stairs

20 curls with 5lb weights

20 sit ups

repeat it and delete 2 flights until you're at zero. So

30 burpies

8 flights

20 curls

20 sit ups

Then 5 miles on the stationary bike when it's all over.

I had to look this up... we call them squat thrusts.

We did something similar. Very little weight training before bantams, and even then, we didnt do much (we were immature, physically). Mostly did conditioning and calisthetics. The lifting we did was usually wrists or core.

At hockey camps, we'd always watch videos of NHLers doing their offseason training. Then we'd copy what they did. It always kept us interested and motivated.

For a large training facility, just make sure there is room to run. A few turf areas, and maybe a court or 2. They can double as pretty much anything. And you could rent out time to local soccer, basketball and football teams, too.

I had to look this up... we call them squat thrusts.

We did something similar. Very little weight training before bantams, and even then, we didnt do much (we were immature, physically). Mostly did conditioning and calisthetics. The lifting we did was usually wrists or core.

At hockey camps, we'd always watch videos of NHLers doing their offseason training. Then we'd copy what they did. It always kept us interested and motivated.

For a large training facility, just make sure there is room to run. A few turf areas, and maybe a court or 2. They can double as pretty much anything. And you could rent out time to local soccer, basketball and football teams, too.

Exactly. Most of the kids love the program. There are other things they do as well. The workout regimen isn't always what I posted. They keep it fun and yet get the kids to work hard for the full hour.

I went and looked at two pieces of commercial property yesterday.

My assumption is this......16 players or so at a time.

4 slideboards

A few stickhandler trainers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haJhyb5m1J4

4 passing kits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=D7O3SjDLQTI&list=PLD598DCC69E3DA509

One station stet up with 4 hockey nets, and shooting mats.

In 15 minutes a young player can get more repitions on his shot then in 10 ice practices

Last station can be the pyometrics we train.

• 2 weeks later...
Here it is .... the most stressful week of the year for kids and parents. Tryouts. Crazy things go on for the next 4 days. It's borderline insanity here right now in the youth hockey world. Wish us luck !!

Good luck to you and your kid!

Thanks Ray. He's going to have to shine to make the team is trying out for. They've been in the top 10 in the country for the past 2 seasons. This is what he wants to do so I'm giving him a shot.

Tryouts were great, in a way. I understood the politics at a very young age. We have 3 teams close to me, and I jumped around to try to avoid it as much as possible. I must have been 8 or 9, and didnt make a squad that I knew I was better than half the kids... but ended up making a Major team that was incredible (no states that year because they were re-organizing. They pretty much unofficially gave it to us).

But anyhow, I usually went in knowing if I had a chance to make the top team, or if I was only going to be looked at for the second team. It allowed me to play without any pressure, and I had some awesome try outs. If I wasnt on the first team, coaches would tell me I'm a lock for the Tier II/AA/Minor squad, depending on the league and level. Of coarse my dad would rather take advantage of the free icetime, and I'd always be out there.

Those couple times when you had a coach that would pick his team were some great seasons/teams... but those coaches were never asked to return... hmmm...

Tryouts were great, in a way. I understood the politics at a very young age. We have 3 teams close to me, and I jumped around to try to avoid it as much as possible. I must have been 8 or 9, and didnt make a squad that I knew I was better than half the kids... but ended up making a Major team that was incredible (no states that year because they were re-organizing. They pretty much unofficially gave it to us).

But anyhow, I usually went in knowing if I had a chance to make the top team, or if I was only going to be looked at for the second team. It allowed me to play without any pressure, and I had some awesome try outs. If I wasnt on the first team, coaches would tell me I'm a lock for the Tier II/AA/Minor squad, depending on the league and level. Of coarse my dad would rather take advantage of the free icetime, and I'd always be out there.

Those couple times when you had a coach that would pick his team were some great seasons/teams... but those coaches were never asked to return... hmmm...

Wow Josh, Michael is in the same exact situation. He's going to have a tougher time because like I said before, this is a top 10 team in the country and a new goalie coming in has to be head and shoulders above the other 2 that have been there. All of the good/top goalies have their plusses and minuses. He has to stand out and he knows it. I've prepared him to be cut, but like you said, he'll be on the next best team. My problem is do I let him play for the new organization that he's trying out with this week or do I go back to the Avs? They both have their strengths and weaknesses. The Avs are 8 minutes from my house, this place is 40 but I really think he needs a change of scenery in the locker room and behind the bench. Tier 2 is next week so we don't have much time to make a decision.

Wow Josh, Michael is in the same exact situation. He's going to have a tougher time because like I said before, this is a top 10 team in the country and a new goalie coming in has to be head and shoulders above the other 2 that have been there. All of the good/top goalies have their plusses and minuses. He has to stand out and he knows it. I've prepared him to be cut, but like you said, he'll be on the next best team. My problem is do I let him play for the new organization that he's trying out with this week or do I go back to the Avs? They both have their strengths and weaknesses. The Avs are 8 minutes from my house, this place is 40 but I really think he needs a change of scenery in the locker room and behind the bench. Tier 2 is next week so we don't have much time to make a decision.

Yeah, its a tough decision. I remember friends calling me up to come to this league, or play on this team, etc. But after tryouts, the decision was always easy to make, for some reason. I would just feel much more comfortable in 1 situation over another, and (I dont remember if they just agree with me, or decided on their own and I made the same choice) my parents always seemed to support the decision.

Yeah, its a tough decision. I remember friends calling me up to come to this league, or play on this team, etc. But after tryouts, the decision was always easy to make, for some reason. I would just feel much more comfortable in 1 situation over another, and (I dont remember if they just agree with me, or decided on their own and I made the same choice) my parents always seemed to support the decision.

I have to leave it up to him. It's a lot of money to waste if he's unhappy with a team I force him to play on. It doesn't do him any good for development, it doesn't do his team any good because he won't care, and it won't do me any good watching him play like shit because I made him go somewhere. I can guide him, I won't make him.

Why the hell are they having tryouts so early??

And if they are a top 10 team in the country....shouldn't they be at Nationals right now?

No nationals at Squirt. They're going into Pee Wee Minor. This is when the tryouts are in the east. Tier 1 is this week, tier 2 is next week.

No nationals at Squirt. They're going into Pee Wee Minor. This is when the tryouts are in the east. Tier 1 is this week, tier 2 is next week.

That's right, I have so coworkers with kids in our league, and they are all off at nationals...

Forgot about Squirt and Pee Wee change.

What team is it?

Still the Avalanche org?

You guys are making the same mistakes we started around 15 years ago, (we have since fixed).

We have our tryouts in September, when hockey tryouts are SUPPOSE to be.

No longer the issues of kids swapping, hopping, or being recruited by different teams.

Top tier has tryouts one week.

2nd tier the week after.

3rd tier the week after that.