Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Devils' Goaltending Situation a Cautionary Tale for Other Squads

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    For the most part, goalies get treated like a bastard child during practice. Most teams carry 2 goalies, so when the coach is running practice, they're rotating in and out. The coach is explaining drills to the skaters, drawing on the glass, etc ... and the goalies are on a knee waiting. Practices are geared towards the skaters and they have more of the in-game situations than the goalies do. If they're doing a 1 on 1 drill, the puck could be stolen, deflected or shot wide 3 times in a row. What good did that do the goalie? Even with the private lessons, camps, etc ... they're just drills, no in-game situations. The shooters/coaches will fire at them depending on their skill and size, so the shot quality is there and they get their reps in but being in game situations is different. And just like you, I'm guessing.
    We skate our goaltenders for 20 minutes each practice just like our forwards/defenseman.
    They also take part in our passing drills, (stationary and pepper drills).

After that they see 15 minutes of many pucks, and then 15 minutes of game type situation.
    The last 15 minutes they don't see as many pucks, but this is where they learn to get a feel of game situations, (read and react).
    And i'm big on only taking one goaltender up until the Bantam group, (have only carried one last three seasons).
    I HATE seeing a kid sit on the bench.

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    We skate our goaltenders for 20 minutes each practice just like our forwards/defenseman.
    They also take part in our passing drills, (stationary and pepper drills).

After that they see 15 minutes of many pucks, and then 15 minutes of game type situation.
    The last 15 minutes they don't see as many pucks, but this is where they learn to get a feel of game situations, (read and react).
    And i'm big on only taking one goaltender up until the Bantam group, (have only carried one last three seasons).
    I HATE seeing a kid sit on the bench.
    They skate the first 20 minutes too. When the kids are doing drills, they're in net and seeing shots off the drills, but like I said, deflections, stolen pucks and wide shots are part of the problem. When the kids are doing drills that don't involve shooting, the goalies go in the neutral zone and do drills. Sometimes there are 2 teams on the ice, that's 4 goalies. They're doing the drills by themselves. Butterflies, pushes, shuffles, etc .. Even with the way you run your practices, there is 1 thing the skaters are getting that the goalies aren't .... instruction on how to play their position. Strap em on and figure it out. I'm ok with that, I'm just saying that maybe that's why they don't develop as quickly as other players.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    They skate the first 20 minutes too. When the kids are doing drills, they're in net and seeing shots off the drills, but like I said, deflections, stolen pucks and wide shots are part of the problem. When the kids are doing drills that don't involve shooting, the goalies go in the neutral zone and do drills. Sometimes there are 2 teams on the ice, that's 4 goalies. They're doing the drills by themselves. Butterflies, pushes, shuffles, etc .. Even with the way you run your practices, there is 1 thing the skaters are getting that the goalies aren't .... instruction on how to play their position. Strap em on and figure it out. I'm ok with that, I'm just saying that maybe that's why they don't develop as quickly as other players.
    Why aren't any coaches instructing the goaltenders during your practice??

Why aren't any coaches instructing the goaltenders during your practice??
    There's in and outs, nothing substantial. How long will you or an assistant sit there and give your goalie attention for? It's all the little extra things you have to do as a parent and player to make them better. Privates, camps, clinics, 3 on 3's, off ice, etc ...

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    There's in and outs, nothing substantial. How long will you or an assistant sit there and give your goalie attention for? It's all the little extra things you have to do as a parent and player to make them better. Privates, camps, clinics, 3 on 3's, off ice, etc ...
    True, but I run 4 coaches.....so we typically have 7-8 on the ice at any time. One always oversees goaltenders.
    Last season looked at my roster, and I had a dad who played Div1 (defenseman)....super nice quiet guy.
    So asked him, and viola...after he met with some goaltender coaches, did the USA goaltending program, I then had someone on the ice paying attention to my tender

This season we had two of our 8 coaches on the ice who were drafted into the NHL as goaltenders, and both put on clinics, etc still.
    One spent multiple years as the goaltending coach for a NCAA team. So no issues with our goaltenders getting coaching.

That being said, they keep it fairly simple during practice.
    Every sunday all the goaltenders in the orginization have their clinic with these two....so that's when they get the heavy coaching on "habits".

One thing to note, RARELY should there be a time in practice a goaltender isn't seeing shots.
    90% of the drills if not more at the Squirt level should end in a shot. And even with 1/2 ice, BOTH goaltenders should be set up in net at the same time.
    Most drills we run end in a shot, and then a 2nd scoring chance, (out of corner, coach sends in for deflection, etc)....before the drill starts again.

True, but I run 4 coaches.....so we typically have 7-8 on the ice at any time. One always oversees goaltenders.
    Last season looked at my roster, and I had a dad who played Div1 (defenseman)....super nice quiet guy.
    So asked him, and viola...after he met with some goaltender coaches, did the USA goaltending program, I then had someone on the ice paying attention to my tender

This season we had two of our 8 coaches on the ice who were drafted into the NHL as goaltenders, and both put on clinics, etc still.
    One spent multiple years as the goaltending coach for a NCAA team. So no issues with our goaltenders getting coaching.

That being said, they keep it fairly simple during practice.
    Every sunday all the goaltenders in the orginization have their clinic with these two....so that's when they get the heavy coaching on "habits".

One thing to note, RARELY should there be a time in practice a goaltender isn't seeing shots.
    90% of the drills if not more at the Squirt level should end in a shot. And even with 1/2 ice, BOTH goaltenders should be set up in net at the same time.
    Most drills we run end in a shot, and then a 2nd scoring chance, (out of corner, coach sends in for deflection, etc)....before the drill starts again.
    Is there someone to give attention to goalies at every level in your organization, or is it just your squad? Michael's goalie coach backed up Quick at UMass and the other one played professionally in Germany. They're both good guys but they don't make their way onto the rink for every single team. So many teams practice at the same time, it's nearly impossible. We have 4 rinks in our building.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Moving the conversation over here...

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com...lopment-Hockey

Senior Member Squirt Division SKjEi o2's Avatar
    Looking at the top 10 goaltenders in regards to save % right now.

1- Anderson, 73rd pick in 2001 (7th goaltender taken)
    2- Rask, 21st pick in 2005 (2nd goaltender taken)
    3- Niemi, UNDRAFTED
    4- Fasth, UNDRAFTED
    5- Crawford, 52nd pick 2003, (2nd goaltender taken)
    6- Bobrovski, UNDRAFTED
    7- Lehtonen, 2nd pick in 2002 (1st goatlender taken)
    8- Lundqvist, 205th pick in 2000, (22nd goaltender taken)
    9- Rinne, 258th pick in 2004, (30th goaltender taken)
    10- Scrives, UNDRAFTED
    I really wouldn't use anything more than a 5th on a goalie. We'll have Qvist for a few more years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12