Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Devils' Goaltending Situation a Cautionary Tale for Other Squads

  1. #1
    Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Cash or Czech?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16,559
    Rep Power
    65

    Devils' Goaltending Situation a Cautionary Tale for Other Squads

    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/devils-...0223--nhl.html
    Though it sometimes feels like goaltenders grow on trees and can be discovered at any time (Anaheim’s Viktor Fasth being the latest), ask the teams at the bottom of the standings how easy the position is to fill.

    Other than suffering through a few down years and hoping someone steps into Brodeur’s skates, New Jersey’s other option is to find a replacement via trade or free agency. But again, it’s not that simple. The top UFAs are too valuable not to be re-signed by their teams or too old to have an impact in the future.
    -----

    I've been saying this for a while now for our team. Stajcer and Missiaen are both question marks and Cam Talbot is 25, projecting to be a backup if anything. I'm not saying that we spend a 1st rounder on a goalie (we don't even have a 1st round pick), but I believe that using our 2nd rounder which will be in the mid round would be a smart choice. I'm still kicking myself over not drafting Jack Campbell. I want Zach Fucale or Eric Comrie.

  2. #2
    Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect
    CreaseCrusader91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    18,948
    Rep Power
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by Cash or Czech? View Post
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/devils-...0223--nhl.html


    -----

    I've been saying this for a while now for our team. Stajcer and Missiaen are both question marks and Cam Talbot is 25, projecting to be a backup if anything. I'm not saying that we spend a 1st rounder on a goalie (we don't even have a 1st round pick), but I believe that using our 2nd rounder which will be in the mid round would be a smart choice. I'm still kicking myself over not drafting Jack Campbell. I want Zach Fucale or Eric Comrie.
    If only it were Monday and I could go Pierre McGuire over Zach Fucale.
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

  3. #3
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,100
    Rep Power
    274
    Drafting goaltenders is a tricky situation. Most goalies aren't at their best until their mid to late 20's. It takes some longer than others, Thomas for example. Yes, you will have your select few but that's exactly what it is, a few.

  4. #4
    Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Ranger Lothbrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,505
    Rep Power
    107
    I still think the Devils will get Bernier from LA. Him and Schneider/Luongo are really the only ready-to-start netminders that could be available. I think NJ has a good trade rapport with LA, and if Bernier doesn't get dealt elsewhere at the deadline, I think he ends up there this summer.

  5. #5
    In Vigneault, Veritas BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16,647
    Rep Power
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    Drafting goaltenders is a tricky situation. Most goalies aren't at their best until their mid to late 20's. It takes some longer than others, Thomas for example. Yes, you will have your select few but that's exactly what it is, a few.
    Yeah. It's honestly better to take a flyer on someone in a later round unless you've got a BPA sitting in front of you (see Malcolm Subban and the Bruins)
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  6. #6
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,100
    Rep Power
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter Redux View Post
    I still think the Devils will get Bernier from LA. Him and Schneider/Luongo are really the only ready-to-start netminders that could be available. I think NJ has a good trade rapport with LA, and if Bernier doesn't get dealt elsewhere at the deadline, I think he ends up there this summer.
    Bernier isn't as good, right now, as everyone thinks. The Kings have been trying to give him opportunities over the past couple of seasons to showcase himself and he kept shitting the bed. They've been looking to trade him for 2 years.

  7. #7
    Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Cash or Czech?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16,559
    Rep Power
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    Drafting goaltenders is a tricky situation. Most goalies aren't at their best until their mid to late 20's. It takes some longer than others, Thomas for example. Yes, you will have your select few but that's exactly what it is, a few.
    Just remember that Marc-Andre Fleury, Martin Brodeur, Tuukka Rask, Carey Price, Cam Ward, Devan Dubnyk, Semyon Varlamov, Kari Lehtonen, Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider are all first round picks. 9 of the 30 starters in the NHL, plus a 1A starter (Schneider) and a plethora of 2nd rounders as well. There are a few guys drafted in later rounds such as Lundqvist, Rinne and Kiprusoff but the majority of starting netminders and top prospects are from the first two rounds.

  8. #8
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Cash or Czech? View Post
    Just remember that Marc-Andre Fleury, Martin Brodeur, Tuukka Rask, Carey Price, Cam Ward, Devan Dubnyk, Semyon Varlamov, Kari Lehtonen, Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider are all first round picks. 9 of the 30 starters in the NHL, plus a 1A starter (Schneider) and a plethora of 2nd rounders as well. There are a few guys drafted in later rounds such as Lundqvist, Rinne and Kiprusoff but the majority of starting netminders and top prospects are from the first two rounds.
    And half those guys were traded for after becoming established.

  9. #9
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,100
    Rep Power
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by Cash or Czech? View Post
    Just remember that Marc-Andre Fleury, Martin Brodeur, Tuukka Rask, Carey Price, Cam Ward, Devan Dubnyk, Semyon Varlamov, Kari Lehtonen, Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider are all first round picks. 9 of the 30 starters in the NHL, plus a 1A starter (Schneider) and a plethora of 2nd rounders as well. There are a few guys drafted in later rounds such as Lundqvist, Rinne and Kiprusoff but the majority of starting netminders and top prospects are from the first two rounds.
    You just named 10 guys dating back to 1993. How is 10 of 30 the majority? And going back to what I said about them peaking in their mid to late 20's, I'm pretty sure the majority of the guys you listed proves my point. Check the ages from your list and compare their age to how well they're playing or were playing in that range.

  10. #10
    Member Mite Division Kershaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    77
    Rep Power
    5
    Devils will be fine. The have Lou Lams and he always finds a way.

  11. #11
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,100
    Rep Power
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
    Devils will be fine. The have Lou Lams and he always finds a way.
    True but this isn't just about the Devils. He was just using that as an example

  12. #12
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,578
    Rep Power
    114
    Goaltending is just SO difficult to draft.

    Going back through the last 7 drafts, there are only two goaltenders getting regular ice time.
    Varlamov who was the 3rd goaltender taken in the draft, and Mason who was the 7th goaltender in the draft.

    In 2005 Price was ranked as the top goaltender, and Quick ranked as the 9th.
    In between there were 7 goaltenders taken who have accomplished little.

    In 2004 Dubnyk was the 2nd goatlender taken overall, and Pekka Rinne was the 29th goaltender taken over all, (8th round)....
    The 27 goaltenders taken between them have accomplished zilch in the NHL.

  13. #13
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,578
    Rep Power
    114
    Looking at the top 10 goaltenders in regards to save % right now.

    1- Anderson, 73rd pick in 2001 (7th goaltender taken)
    2- Rask, 21st pick in 2005 (2nd goaltender taken)
    3- Niemi, UNDRAFTED
    4- Fasth, UNDRAFTED
    5- Crawford, 52nd pick 2003, (2nd goaltender taken)
    6- Bobrovski, UNDRAFTED
    7- Lehtonen, 2nd pick in 2002 (1st goatlender taken)
    8- Lundqvist, 205th pick in 2000, (22nd goaltender taken)
    9- Rinne, 258th pick in 2004, (30th goaltender taken)
    10- Scrives, UNDRAFTED

  14. #14
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,100
    Rep Power
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Goaltending is just SO difficult to draft.

    Going back through the last 7 drafts, there are only two goaltenders getting regular ice time.
    Varlamov who was the 3rd goaltender taken in the draft, and Mason who was the 7th goaltender in the draft.

    In 2005 Price was ranked as the top goaltender, and Quick ranked as the 9th.
    In between there were 7 goaltenders taken who have accomplished little.

    In 2004 Dubnyk was the 2nd goatlender taken overall, and Pekka Rinne was the 29th goaltender taken over all, (8th round)....
    The 27 goaltenders taken between them have accomplished zilch in the NHL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Looking at the top 10 goaltenders in regards to save % right now.

    1- Anderson, 73rd pick in 2001 (7th goaltender taken)
    2- Rask, 21st pick in 2005 (2nd goaltender taken)
    3- Niemi, UNDRAFTED
    4- Fasth, UNDRAFTED
    5- Crawford, 52nd pick 2003, (2nd goaltender taken)
    6- Bobrovski, UNDRAFTED
    7- Lehtonen, 2nd pick in 2002 (1st goatlender taken)
    8- Lundqvist, 205th pick in 2000, (22nd goaltender taken)
    9- Rinne, 258th pick in 2004, (30th goaltender taken)
    10- Scrives, UNDRAFTED
    I love when you prove my right. I might apply for your coaching job next season. It appears I'm just as smart as you and I didn't even have to look up the stats. Keep going, put their ages in there for me.

  15. #15
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,578
    Rep Power
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    I love when you prove my right. I might apply for your coaching job next season. It appears I'm just as smart as you and I didn't even have to look up the stats. Keep going, put their ages in there for me.
    I had thier ages, and actually removed them.
    But the point I was making with ages is that MANY of these guys aren't getting regular NHL rotation until they are 24, 25 years old now.
    7-8 years after being drafted.

  16. #16
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,100
    Rep Power
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    I had thier ages, and actually removed them.
    But the point I was making with ages is that MANY of these guys aren't getting regular NHL rotation until they are 24, 25 years old now.
    7-8 years after being drafted.
    Which is exactly what I said earlier. Goalies are late bloomers. I wish I knew why. It might save me money.

  17. #17
    Germanic Ranger Junior Division H-Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    8,325
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    Which is exactly what I said earlier. Goalies are late bloomers. I wish I knew why. It might save me money.
    Propably got something to do with experience, just guessing.

  18. #18
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,100
    Rep Power
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Dreamer View Post
    Propably got something to do with experience, just guessing.
    For the most part, goalies get treated like a bastard child during practice. Most teams carry 2 goalies, so when the coach is running practice, they're rotating in and out. The coach is explaining drills to the skaters, drawing on the glass, etc ... and the goalies are on a knee waiting. Practices are geared towards the skaters and they have more of the in-game situations than the goalies do. If they're doing a 1 on 1 drill, the puck could be stolen, deflected or shot wide 3 times in a row. What good did that do the goalie? Even with the private lessons, camps, etc ... they're just drills, no in-game situations. The shooters/coaches will fire at them depending on their skill and size, so the shot quality is there and they get their reps in but being in game situations is different. And just like you, I'm guessing.

  19. #19
    Germanic Ranger Junior Division H-Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    8,325
    Rep Power
    22
    I am pretty sure that's it, you just can't simulate all game situations a goalie needs to know during practice.
    So you teach him the basics and he keeps training them and after that he has to learn while playing.

  20. #20
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,100
    Rep Power
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Dreamer View Post
    I am pretty sure that's it, you just can't simulate all game situations a goalie needs to know during practice.
    So you teach him the basics and he keeps training them and after that he has to learn while playing.
    There are so many more nuances when playing goal. So much more is mental and building confidence. When they let in 2 or 3 bad ones, they start questioning their game in their mind and going back to bad habits. I would love to keep Michael off the ice for a month but there would be too much rust. I try not to overdo it in the spring/summer, but at the same time give him enough ice time to stay sharp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •