Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Devils' Goaltending Situation a Cautionary Tale for Other Squads

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect

Devils' Goaltending Situation a Cautionary Tale for Other Squads

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/devils-...0223--nhl.html
    Though it sometimes feels like goaltenders grow on trees and can be discovered at any time (Anaheim’s Viktor Fasth being the latest), ask the teams at the bottom of the standings how easy the position is to fill.

Other than suffering through a few down years and hoping someone steps into Brodeur’s skates, New Jersey’s other option is to find a replacement via trade or free agency. But again, it’s not that simple. The top UFAs are too valuable not to be re-signed by their teams or too old to have an impact in the future.
    -----

I've been saying this for a while now for our team. Stajcer and Missiaen are both question marks and Cam Talbot is 25, projecting to be a backup if anything. I'm not saying that we spend a 1st rounder on a goalie (we don't even have a 1st round pick), but I believe that using our 2nd rounder which will be in the mid round would be a smart choice. I'm still kicking myself over not drafting Jack Campbell. I want Zach Fucale or Eric Comrie.

Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Cash or Czech? View Post
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/devils-...0223--nhl.html

-----

I've been saying this for a while now for our team. Stajcer and Missiaen are both question marks and Cam Talbot is 25, projecting to be a backup if anything. I'm not saying that we spend a 1st rounder on a goalie (we don't even have a 1st round pick), but I believe that using our 2nd rounder which will be in the mid round would be a smart choice. I'm still kicking myself over not drafting Jack Campbell. I want Zach Fucale or Eric Comrie.
    If only it were Monday and I could go Pierre McGuire over Zach Fucale.
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Drafting goaltenders is a tricky situation. Most goalies aren't at their best until their mid to late 20's. It takes some longer than others, Thomas for example. Yes, you will have your select few but that's exactly what it is, a few.

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    I still think the Devils will get Bernier from LA. Him and Schneider/Luongo are really the only ready-to-start netminders that could be available. I think NJ has a good trade rapport with LA, and if Bernier doesn't get dealt elsewhere at the deadline, I think he ends up there this summer.

In Vigneault, Veritas BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    Drafting goaltenders is a tricky situation. Most goalies aren't at their best until their mid to late 20's. It takes some longer than others, Thomas for example. Yes, you will have your select few but that's exactly what it is, a few.
    Yeah. It's honestly better to take a flyer on someone in a later round unless you've got a BPA sitting in front of you (see Malcolm Subban and the Bruins)
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Redux View Post
    I still think the Devils will get Bernier from LA. Him and Schneider/Luongo are really the only ready-to-start netminders that could be available. I think NJ has a good trade rapport with LA, and if Bernier doesn't get dealt elsewhere at the deadline, I think he ends up there this summer.
    Bernier isn't as good, right now, as everyone thinks. The Kings have been trying to give him opportunities over the past couple of seasons to showcase himself and he kept shitting the bed. They've been looking to trade him for 2 years.

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Just remember that Marc-Andre Fleury, Martin Brodeur, Tuukka Rask, Carey Price, Cam Ward, Devan Dubnyk, Semyon Varlamov, Kari Lehtonen, Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider are all first round picks. 9 of the 30 starters in the NHL, plus a 1A starter (Schneider) and a plethora of 2nd rounders as well. There are a few guys drafted in later rounds such as Lundqvist, Rinne and Kiprusoff but the majority of starting netminders and top prospects are from the first two rounds.

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Just remember that Marc-Andre Fleury, Martin Brodeur, Tuukka Rask, Carey Price, Cam Ward, Devan Dubnyk, Semyon Varlamov, Kari Lehtonen, Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider are all first round picks. 9 of the 30 starters in the NHL, plus a 1A starter (Schneider) and a plethora of 2nd rounders as well. There are a few guys drafted in later rounds such as Lundqvist, Rinne and Kiprusoff but the majority of starting netminders and top prospects are from the first two rounds.
    And half those guys were traded for after becoming established.

You just named 10 guys dating back to 1993. How is 10 of 30 the majority? And going back to what I said about them peaking in their mid to late 20's, I'm pretty sure the majority of the guys you listed proves my point. Check the ages from your list and compare their age to how well they're playing or were playing in that range.

Devils will be fine. The have Lou Lams and he always finds a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
    Devils will be fine. The have Lou Lams and he always finds a way.
    True but this isn't just about the Devils. He was just using that as an example

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Goaltending is just SO difficult to draft.

Going back through the last 7 drafts, there are only two goaltenders getting regular ice time.
    Varlamov who was the 3rd goaltender taken in the draft, and Mason who was the 7th goaltender in the draft.

In 2005 Price was ranked as the top goaltender, and Quick ranked as the 9th.
    In between there were 7 goaltenders taken who have accomplished little.

In 2004 Dubnyk was the 2nd goatlender taken overall, and Pekka Rinne was the 29th goaltender taken over all, (8th round)....
    The 27 goaltenders taken between them have accomplished zilch in the NHL.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Looking at the top 10 goaltenders in regards to save % right now.

1- Anderson, 73rd pick in 2001 (7th goaltender taken)
    2- Rask, 21st pick in 2005 (2nd goaltender taken)
    3- Niemi, UNDRAFTED
    4- Fasth, UNDRAFTED
    5- Crawford, 52nd pick 2003, (2nd goaltender taken)
    6- Bobrovski, UNDRAFTED
    7- Lehtonen, 2nd pick in 2002 (1st goatlender taken)
    8- Lundqvist, 205th pick in 2000, (22nd goaltender taken)
    9- Rinne, 258th pick in 2004, (30th goaltender taken)
    10- Scrives, UNDRAFTED

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Goaltending is just SO difficult to draft.

Going back through the last 7 drafts, there are only two goaltenders getting regular ice time.
    Varlamov who was the 3rd goaltender taken in the draft, and Mason who was the 7th goaltender in the draft.

In 2005 Price was ranked as the top goaltender, and Quick ranked as the 9th.
    In between there were 7 goaltenders taken who have accomplished little.

In 2004 Dubnyk was the 2nd goatlender taken overall, and Pekka Rinne was the 29th goaltender taken over all, (8th round)....
    The 27 goaltenders taken between them have accomplished zilch in the NHL.
    Looking at the top 10 goaltenders in regards to save % right now.

1- Anderson, 73rd pick in 2001 (7th goaltender taken)
    2- Rask, 21st pick in 2005 (2nd goaltender taken)
    3- Niemi, UNDRAFTED
    4- Fasth, UNDRAFTED
    5- Crawford, 52nd pick 2003, (2nd goaltender taken)
    6- Bobrovski, UNDRAFTED
    7- Lehtonen, 2nd pick in 2002 (1st goatlender taken)
    8- Lundqvist, 205th pick in 2000, (22nd goaltender taken)
    9- Rinne, 258th pick in 2004, (30th goaltender taken)
    10- Scrives, UNDRAFTED
    I love when you prove my right. I might apply for your coaching job next season. It appears I'm just as smart as you and I didn't even have to look up the stats. Keep going, put their ages in there for me.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    I love when you prove my right. I might apply for your coaching job next season. It appears I'm just as smart as you and I didn't even have to look up the stats. Keep going, put their ages in there for me.
    I had thier ages, and actually removed them.
    But the point I was making with ages is that MANY of these guys aren't getting regular NHL rotation until they are 24, 25 years old now.
    7-8 years after being drafted.

I had thier ages, and actually removed them.
    But the point I was making with ages is that MANY of these guys aren't getting regular NHL rotation until they are 24, 25 years old now.
    7-8 years after being drafted.
    Which is exactly what I said earlier. Goalies are late bloomers. I wish I knew why. It might save me money.

Germanic Ranger Junior Division H-Dreamer's Avatar
    Which is exactly what I said earlier. Goalies are late bloomers. I wish I knew why. It might save me money.
    Propably got something to do with experience, just guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by H-Dreamer View Post
    Propably got something to do with experience, just guessing.
    For the most part, goalies get treated like a bastard child during practice. Most teams carry 2 goalies, so when the coach is running practice, they're rotating in and out. The coach is explaining drills to the skaters, drawing on the glass, etc ... and the goalies are on a knee waiting. Practices are geared towards the skaters and they have more of the in-game situations than the goalies do. If they're doing a 1 on 1 drill, the puck could be stolen, deflected or shot wide 3 times in a row. What good did that do the goalie? Even with the private lessons, camps, etc ... they're just drills, no in-game situations. The shooters/coaches will fire at them depending on their skill and size, so the shot quality is there and they get their reps in but being in game situations is different. And just like you, I'm guessing.

Germanic Ranger Junior Division H-Dreamer's Avatar
    I am pretty sure that's it, you just can't simulate all game situations a goalie needs to know during practice.
    So you teach him the basics and he keeps training them and after that he has to learn while playing.

Quote Originally Posted by H-Dreamer View Post
    I am pretty sure that's it, you just can't simulate all game situations a goalie needs to know during practice.
    So you teach him the basics and he keeps training them and after that he has to learn while playing.
    There are so many more nuances when playing goal. So much more is mental and building confidence. When they let in 2 or 3 bad ones, they start questioning their game in their mind and going back to bad habits. I would love to keep Michael off the ice for a month but there would be too much rust. I try not to overdo it in the spring/summer, but at the same time give him enough ice time to stay sharp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast