Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Vikings' — on the History Channel

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    We're going in circles. If it's that bad for you, don't watch it. I'm just saying, based on your complaint of not really having anything compelling happen yet, you're cutting yourself short, because the feud between Ragnar Lothbrok and Earl Haraldson takes on a whole new level starting with episode 4. It's this point on that the crux of this season truly begins.
    I'm not. I just don't think a show can be categorized as "kick ass" if nothing compelling happens until episode 3. Just my $.02.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuhgeddaboudit View Post
    I prefer to watch it live. What time is it on so I can put it on my e-calendar?
    Sundays at 10/9c on History.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    I'm not. I just don't think a show can be categorized as "kick ass" if nothing compelling happens until episode 3. Just my $.02.
    Then Game of Thrones, 24, Prison Break, Breaking Bad and dozens of others can be lumped in there, depending on who you ask (me).

Then again, I don't buy the idea that nothing compelling happened in episodes 1 and 2 in the first place.

Episode 1:
      Spoiler: {option} 
    Ragnar employs Floki to secretly build him a ship to sail West, directly ignoring the command of Earl Haraldson

Episode 2:
    Ragnar, Rollo, and Floki embark on the unauthorized raid to England and Earl Haraldson begins killing those who supported him (the smith who forged his anchor). Ragnar takes the priest hostage, because he "sees" something in him
    Last edited by Phil in Absentia; 04-08-2013 at 12:49 PM.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Then Game of Thrones, 24, Prison Break, Breaking Bad and dozens of others can be lumped in there, depending on who you ask (me).

Then again, I don't buy the idea that nothing compelling happened in episodes 1 and 2 in the first place.

Episode 1:
    Ragnar employs Floki to secretly build him a ship to sail West, directly ignoring the command of Earl Haraldson

Episode 2:
    Ragnar, Rollo, and Floki embark on the unauthorized raid to England and Earl Haraldson begins killing those who supported him (the smith who forged his anchor). Ragnar takes the priest hostage, because he "sees" something in him
    Game of Thrones compelling shit happens in the first episode.
    Jamie fucks his own sister and throws a kid out the window. That's not compelling?

I guess I was napping when the compelling shit happend in Vikings.

Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    Game of Thrones compelling shit happens in the first episode.
    Jamie fucks his own sister and throws a kid out the window. That's not compelling?

I guess I was napping when the compelling shit happend in Vikings.
    Game of Thrones E01 wasn't that compelling to me. I'm aware of what happened, but I had no idea the importance of Jamie, Cersei or Bran for that matter. It took multiple episodes to establish the impact (all pun intended) of what occurred at the end of E01.

The hook at the end of GOT E01 was better than the hook of Vikings E01, but not by much IMO. It took me three, four episodes of GOT to truly get a scope of the picture, as most shows of this type (Rome, Game of Thrones, Sons of Anarchy, etc.) tend to do.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Junior Division
    Phil is right...this show is a lot about just staging and explaining the different relationships in the first couple of episodes..you have to watch to episode 4 at least and I would suggest 5 to really get a feel for the show.
    If you don't like it after watching the first 4 or 5 then I guess it's just not for you.
    I mean I loved it instantly but im really INTO this kind of stuff and this stuff is extremely interesting to me since I'm decendant from the ppl and places they are showing on the show but def give it 4 shows before cutting it off.
    But really no one is forcing anyone to watch anything, if it's too boring don't watch it.

What an action-packed episode tonight was! We now know exactly how this gets us to season two.

Love the little internal conflict between Rollo and Floki over Rollo "accepting" the be baptized.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

What an action-packed episode tonight was! We now know exactly how this gets us to season two.

Love the little internal conflict between Rollo and Floki over Rollo "accepting" the be baptized.
    Yes! loved the episode! Great with the king cursing him and swearing revenge....

Ragnar's response to King Aelle's attack on the camp was amazing, too, sending in his dead brother as a return favor.

That whole scene with Ragnar at the feast was just amazing too. I love all the little facial expressions he makes, laughing at all the requests and claims of Aelle, and the baptism scene as well.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Ragnar's response to King Aelle's attack on the camp was amazing, too, sending in his dead brother as a return favor.

That whole scene with Ragnar at the feast was just amazing too. I love all the little facial expressions he makes, laughing at all the requests and claims of Aelle, and the baptism scene as well.
    Yes I agree...I have to say the Travis Fimmel who's portraying Ragnar is doing an amazing job, you really get the sense he IS the character Ragnar, he has created this multi nuanced character who is intelligent, charismatic, curious, brave, ruthless, funny and slightly insane all wrapped into one, he does such a great job acting with pure facial expression and very few words. Really a great character.
    It's really interesting to watch the culture crash between the Scandinavian pagans and the English Christians...they have done a great job with it. You really get that sense of curiosity mixed with wariness and the feel that no one knows what to expect or what's going to happen next at any time.

Pretty damn crazy for a model, eh?
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Pretty damn crazy for a model, eh?
    Yes..impressive to say the least.

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Anyone know what the deal is? Was the 9th episode the last one until next season? It didn't really end with much of a cliff-hanger.

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Redux View Post
    Anyone know what the deal is? Was the 9th episode the last one until next season? It didn't really end with much of a cliff-hanger.
    Yup. Cliff-hanger is Rollo agreeing to fight against Ragnar heading into next season. I agree though, not the best way to end the season, but if you know the story of Ragnar Lodbrok (the historical figure the show's Lothbrok is based on), they had to do something like this to press the story on.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Yup. Cliff-hanger is Rollo agreeing to fight against Ragnar heading into next season. I agree though, not the best way to end the season, but if you know the story of Ragnar Lodbrok (the historical figure the show's Lothbrok is based on), they had to do something like this to press the story on.
    Yeah, I just wish there was more of a "this is the season-ender" feeling to it. I know the whole thing with Rollo, and Aslaug being pregnant, and the war, etc. But I had no idea it was the season ender. Nothing that said so before or after. I just went to look at the DVR today to watch last Sunday's episode and was like, "what the hell??

Can't wait for next season, my wife was seriously pissed off when I told her they only made 9 for the first season

She's gonna be even more pissed if/when they cut the series short to just two or three seasons.

Again, the story of Ragnar Lodbrok, the charcter the Lothbrok one is based on, has sort of.... a short life.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

She's gonna be even more pissed if/when they cut the series short to just two or three seasons.

Again, the story of Ragnar Lodbrok, the charcter the Lothbrok one is based on, has sort of.... a short life.
    Yup. And unless they do a fast-forward kind of thing for one of the seasons, we're not going to get to see his sons (like Bjorn) eventually avenge him. There can't be much more left to the Ragnar story. Probably another season, MAYBE two, and they'll run out of material. And there's no way the kid who plays Bjorn, or Ragnar's unborn son with Aslaugh, will be old enough to pick up the next arc according to legend.

They'll have two options: fast-forward and continue with new actors as Ragnar's sons, or move to different famous Vikings.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Enjoyed this more then GOT this season.

Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Enjoyed this more then GOT this season.

Great stuff.
    I actually agree. Great first season for a show to start on.

I'm contemplating doing a play on the name Ragnar and changing my username to "Ranger Lothbrok." I'm having trouble making the commitment though.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast