Thread: 2013 NHL Draft Lacks Depth of Talent?

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

2013 NHL Draft Lacks Depth of Talent?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...of-talent.html

“The 2013 draft is not as strong or as deep as we first thought,” said one scout, echoing the thoughts of many others. “It’s a deep top 10 and an OK first round, but I don’t see a lot of depth. Is it deeper than 2012? I’m not so sure.”

The 2012 draft was considered the weakest in several years. That’s perhaps why 2013 was so anticipated, because of the heavy hitters like Jones and MacKinnon at the top of the list. It wasn’t that long ago some scouts and media outlets were selling the 2013 draft as the best since 2003, when the star-struck likes of Jeff Carter, Dustin Brown, Brent Seabrook, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Brent Burns, Ryan Kesler, Mike Richards, Corey Perry, Loui Eriksson, Patrice Bergeron and Shea Weber all were taken in the No. 11-49 window.

“The 2013 draft won’t come close to 2003,” another scout said. “Let’s make that clear right now. Take away the first eight or 10 picks and you’re looking at guys who can contribute on the third and fourth lines, not the first line.”
    “It looks like there’s a demarcation between the first three (MacKinnon, Jones and Drouin) and the next five or six,” a scout said.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Not so bad that we don't have a first.

Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    Not so bad that we don't have a first.
    Yeah, especially with such a drop-off in talent again in the first round. Seems quite expendable, though I'm sure whatever piece Columbus selects with it would likely help them a lot more than what we selected might have helped us.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Yeah, especially with such a drop-off in talent again in the first round. Seems quite expendable, though I'm sure whatever piece Columbus selects with it would likely help them a lot more than what we selected might have helped us.
    Until they change the entire front office they are fucked. The GM sucks, the scouts suck, only JD was a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    Until they change the entire front office they are fucked. The GM sucks, the scouts suck, only JD was a step in the right direction.
    JD is overseeing everything though, so I'd imagine he'll be bringing in some of his own people, if he hasn't already.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

He has to because their list of draft picks is pathetic.

They've drafted 118 players in their history. They have produced 19 "serviceable" NHL players to date, and only 10 are still on the team.

Klesla (1st) — Coyotes
    Leclaire (1st) — Retired
    Tim Jackman (2nd) — Goon
    Nash (1st) — Rangers
    Methot (6th) — Ottawa
    Clitsome (9th)
    Boll (4th)
    Russel (3rd) — St. Louis
    McQuaid (2nd) — Boston
    Dorsett (7th)
    Sestito (3rd) — Goon, Flyers
    Mason (2nd) — Scrub
    Brassard (1st)
    Voracek — Flyers
    Atkinson (6th)
    Calvert (5th)
    Savard (3rd)
    Moore (1st)
    Johansen — They are ruining this kid.

Look at where they drafted Jackman and Sestito, as well. That means 100 pick are either busted, in Europe, hurt, or the jury is still out.

Pathetic. Joke franchise from top to bottom.

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    The lesson: Doug Mclean is awful.

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Voracek ultimately helped them acquire Jack Johnson, so his drafting was actually useful. Not defending the horrendous staff that Columbus has employed over their existence, though, because their history of drafting is dreadful.

Also, Grant Clitsome is on the Winnipeg Jets now.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Yeah, Columbus is a wreck. The worst part is none of their players probably want to be there. I bet Erixon and Johanson get the fuck out of there as soon as they can

Quote Originally Posted by Myusername View Post
    Yeah, Columbus is a wreck. The worst part is none of their players probably want to be there. I bet Erixon and Johanson get the fuck out of there as soon as they can
    Right now, but they made a major culture shock there in hiring JD, who is going to remodel that club down to it's fundamental core over the next few years. Those guys may want out as soon as possible, but Columbus will not be the "land of misfit toys" for much longer if JD is given the opportunity to do what he does best. In fact, I'd say with a bit of drafting/free agent luck, they may end up being one fo the tougher teams to play against in the NHL soon enough — just like St. Louis.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens