Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Rangers Draft [C] Cristoval "Boo" Nieves With 2nd Round (59th) Pick

Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect
    Second star of the game. Assist on opening goal, game tying goal in third period. Five shots, led all players in face off wins 15 and drew 57 percent overall. Also drew two penalties skating with puck and working his way to the middle toward net.

While I agree his potential has tapered off since being drafted, he looked good tonight.

I think he could be a nice lower end second line center/ good third line center. He's gotten stronger too. Freshman year he was getting pushed off, but tonight he was a bull.
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by CreaseCrusader91 View Post
    Second star of the game. Assist on opening goal, game tying goal in third period. Five shots, led all players in face off wins 15 and drew 57 percent overall. Also drew two penalties skating with puck and working his way to the middle toward net.

While I agree his potential has tapered off since being drafted, he looked good tonight.

I think he could be a nice lower end second line center/ good third line center. He's gotten stronger too. Freshman year he was getting pushed off, but tonight he was a bull.
    Nice to hear. Hope you didn't ask him about falling off.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Nice to hear. Hope you didn't ask him about falling off.
    Didn't get chance. Since he was a star of game he did extra availability and got shuttled to bus after changing. I'll be talking more in depth with him tomorrow or Monday.
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Am I safe to assume he's facing something of a McIlrath like approach to the pro's? Four years since his draft and not a lot of chatter, so just slow and steady wins the race?
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Even that is optimistic. I think he's pretty much viewed as org. filler at this point. He's a year and a half younger than McIlrath and he's probably going to have to start in the ECHL if they even sign him.

Moderator Junior Division
    NY Rangers Prospects ‏@NYR_Prospects 17h17 hours ago
    Boo Nieves is 2-3-5 in his last last 8 GP
    6-15-21 in 24 GP for @umichhockey
    #NYR

Nearly a PPG...probably gets him signed, if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Am I safe to assume he's facing something of a McIlrath like approach to the pro's? Four years since his draft and not a lot of chatter, so just slow and steady wins the race?
    Yes and no. During his time at Michigan he's been a reliable two way player and utilized in defensive situations especially at the dot.

He's also been on teams with amazing offensive talent. This year is Kyle Connor who's on pace to smash what Eichel accomplished last year.

Dylan Larkin was a force last year as was Zach Hyman. Nieves was one of the top forwards his freshman year and from that point he's been decent but obviously others have been better.

Here's a quick list of recent comparables within his range.

https://infogr.am/ncaa_comparables
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    NY Rangers Prospects ‏@NYR_Prospects 17h17 hours ago
    Boo Nieves is 2-3-5 in his last last 8 GP
    6-15-21 in 24 GP for @umichhockey
    #NYR

Nearly a PPG...probably gets him signed, if nothing else.
    Well yeah, same production he had as a Freshman. Look at their current roster, he's producing behind 4 or 5 guys younger than him.

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Well yeah, same production he had as a Freshman. Look at their current roster, he's producing behind 4 or 5 guys younger than him.
    And way better than him.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division NYRanger11's Avatar
    Michigan and Notre Dame both lost so Nieves and Fogarty could each be signing soon.

I asked Nieves about turning pro a few weeks ago and his answer was that he was entertaining the thought. Said he had been speaking with academic advisor to see how it would work out leaving early. He's a music major with most of his core stuff done.

The tone in which he answered told me that he's given it some serious thought so I wouldn't be surprised if he did decide to join Hartford.
    Hidden Content

He just signed as per McKenzie

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    His blazing speed was on display on the final day of camp. Nieves carried the puck through the offensive zone with authority and generated chances almost everytime he was on the ice.

He said that he fine-tuned his game after a dissapointing sophomore season with the Wolverines.

“I wasn’t battling for every puck,” Nieves said. “I was kind of lazy coming off of freshman year but I think my junior and senior year the coaches stuck with me and I stuck with myself and I kind of pushed through that and learned to compete every single day.”

Gordie Clark, the Rangers’ director of player personnel, noticed Nieves’ progression, and said on Monday that the versatile forward was more active away from the puck.

After the Wolverines were eliminated in the first round of the NCAA tournament - following a Big Ten Tournament Championship - Nieves jumped to the pros and put up two goals and three assists in eight games.

“I had to finish some things up at school,” he said. “But then once I got to Hartford it was all hockey."
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...icle-1.2696475

Well that's a bit more like it.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Almost forgot we had him... he's definitely an under the radar guy that could turn into a very good player. His main issue was not being engaged enough in the play and it seems like he's worked that out. The guy has skill

I think he ends up on the opening night roster.
    Hidden Content

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by CreaseCrusader91 View Post
    I think he ends up on the opening night roster.
    Not a stretch considering we have no 4th line center right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Not a stretch considering we have no 4th line center right now.
    I think that's exactly where he ends up until Lindberg is healthy.
    Hidden Content

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567