Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangers Draft [D] Brady Skjei With 1st Round (29th) Pick

ಠ_ಠ BSBH Legend

Rangers Draft [D] Brady Skjei With 1st Round (29th) Pick

Name: Brady Skjei
    Position: Defense
    Shoots: Left
    Current Team: University of Minnesota (NCAA)

Hockey's Future Profile: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/brady_skjei/
    Skjei is a two-way defenseman whose game is stronger on the defensive side than it is on offense. He plays a sound game in his own end of the ice, although he does not make use of his big frame. Skjei is a very good skater for a player of his size, but it isn't a skill that he relies on up to this point in his career. Skjei definitely has some outstanding traits, but he is not yet the complete package. At this stage, he appears to be a lower pairing defender when he reaches his full potential.
    Current Statistics
    HockeyDB.com Page: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=130995
    Team Player Page: http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...i_brady00.html
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    Brady Skjei with a sweet assist during 4 on 4 play. Fed a backhanded saucer pass from down low right to the tape of Nate Schmidt at the point for the onetimer goal.

Speaking of Schmidt, he may be this year's Justin Schultz. Defenseman with 27 points in 27 games with 7 goals. He put up 41 in 43 last season. He was never drafted and will be a free agent after the season.

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Schultz was drafted. This guy is probably Gilroy.

ಠ_ಠ BSBH Legend
    Schultz was drafted by Anaheim. He just refused to sign.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Gilroy was 25 and never came close to scoring a point per game until his senior year when he still only put up 37 in 45.

This kid is 21, is only a junior and has scored a point per game for the past 2 seasons.

Gilroy was hyped for his skating ability and character. Schultz was hyped for his offense. This kid is definitely closer to Schultz as a player. Is he likely to be as good? Probably not.

Sighing Dutchman BSBH Prospect
    I haven't seen Skjei play at all, but reading he is at best a lower pairing defenseman is kind of disappointing for a 1st rounder.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    Hidden Content

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Never want to grt cut from you WJ team after your draft year. But hopefully he proves them wrong.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Schmidt is MUCH close to Schultz then he is Gilroy
    As mentioned before, Gilroy was much older then his peers when he dominated, (age 24/25).
    At the age of 19/20 Schmidt was doing this.

He's turning 22 this year.

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    I haven't seen Skjei play at all, but reading he is at best a lower pairing defenseman is kind of disappointing for a 1st rounder.
    Well hey, we did pick late. And we've had some serious success with our drafting of late, but that late in the 1st round it's still just a crapshoot. They can't all be winners. The good news is that we might make up for it with Nieves in Round 2.

Truth be told, I'd be very happy if Skjei became a mobile 3rd pairing/fringe 2nd pairing guy. He's a smooth skater with good size, both of which "musts" nowadays in the NHL. I'd be pretty happy with a steady, mobile defenseman on the bottom pairing. Lord knows we could use that right now.

He's not done developing. Seems the Rangers strategy has been to take players with the best physical tools and develop them into hockey players.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    He's not done developing. Seems the Rangers strategy has been to take players with the best physical tools and develop them into hockey players.
    Definitely seems that way. Skjei is only a freshman. Seems a bit early to be calling him out for not using his big body. He is probably still adjusting to the huge changes going on in his life.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Never want to grt cut from you WJ team after your draft year. But hopefully he proves them wrong.
    I was disappointed that he wasn't on the WJ team but the D on that team was loaded.

Where did it say Skjei was only a 3rd pairing Dman? He's playing that role this year because he's a freshman on the #1 ranked team in the Nation with what's probably the best group of Dmen around. I don't know if they still are, but earlier in the year they had an NHL draft pick as a healthy scratch on D every night. Getting in the lineup was impressive in itself for Skjei this season.

Also, Schmidt with a goal and an assist tonight. Skjei scoreless.

HF report in the OP says it.

Huh, not a fan of that report. There's no way a Freshman in college would go from his status when he was drafted a few months ago, to what that scouting report says. This is more accurate imo...

Assets: Is a tremendous skater. With NHL size (6-3, 200 pounds), he can play a shutdown role quite effectively. Is also capable of logging a lot of ice time. Possesses good offensive upside, as well.

Flaws: Must get stronger and learn to use his big frame far more to his advantage in order to keep opponents honest. Isn't a natural power-play quarterback. Is a bit raw in terms of his puck skills.

Career Potential: Mobile shutdown defenseman with upside.

Sighing Dutchman BSBH Prospect
    If he can take same strides as McDonagh did in the WCHA, than he could end up like Girardi. You can't teach a big frame and a Minnesota hockey heart.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMinutesForNothing View Post
    Huh, not a fan of that report. There's no way a Freshman in college would go from his status when he was drafted a few months ago, to what that scouting report says. This is more accurate imo...
    Gotcha. I haven't seen him play outside of limited WJC time, where he did not impress, at all.

BTW, it seems every scouting report from forecaster says that the player needs to get stronger. Is the entire NHL comprised of weaklings?

His name is... BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    Gotcha. I haven't seen him play outside of limited WJC time, where he did not impress, at all.

BTW, it seems every scouting report from forecaster says that the player needs to get stronger. Is the entire NHL comprised of weaklings?
    I think that's just the easy filler. Of course a 17-19 year old needs to get stronger to compete in the NHL.

Watched most of the Minnesota game tonight. 3-1 win over Wisconsin with all three coming on the PP, so Skjei didn't factor in any of them. Really steady, solid play in his own end though. Good to see him in there in the final minutes after Wisconsin pulled the goalie.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast