Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rangers Draft [C] Steven Fogarty With 3rd Round (72nd) Pick

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Three goals, five assists through 12 games. Best offensive pace he's ever had in college, let's see if he keeps it up.

So my best guess is he plays his senior year at Notre Dame and then we decide whether to sign him or not. He had his best offensive season (9-12-21 in 39 GP) but still nothing overly impressive. The only real legitimate prospect we got from this draft has been JT Miller.

Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    Won't be a big impact guy, but Notre Dame is a defensive oriented system team, so I wouldn't read much into his production. He'll definitely get a contract when he comes out because he projects as an excellent 4th line center. He has great size and toughness and plays very well defensively. Could be Paul Gaustad type.

So if you were to compare the two, bigger more physical Oscar Lindberg with less "offensive upside"?

Was just perusing stats and saw that Fogarty had three goals and an assist in Notre Dame's first game of the season.

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    He's on a PAG pace. Anyone know what the deal is with this guy? Are they even going to entertain signing him?

Dad is going to ND for a couple games this week, I'm interested to get the scouting report back and I'll pass it along here.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    I was just thinking about this guy yesterday. I assumed he just flamed out and the Rangers didn't qualify him. I'm assuming they'll need to get him signed by a specific time? One of those Kevin Hayes/Blake Wheeler NCAA things?
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    I was just thinking about this guy yesterday. I assumed he just flamed out and the Rangers didn't qualify him. I'm assuming they'll need to get him signed by a specific time? One of those Kevin Hayes/Blake Wheeler NCAA things?
    Except he's not that good.

He will definitely be signed. He's a tough kid who has been team captain for two years now. He's clearly developed some offense now and we've signed guys as NCAA free agents who developed shower than this. Fogarty will be a bottom 6 guy, likely 4th liner, but a very good one. He brings every characteristic you look for in that role. Just as I said in the post above, could be a Paul Gaustad type.

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    You don't develop 4th line pigeons.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Yea really. You can get cheap 4th liners anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Or they could just fall into your lap from within your system. You don't sign a rookie with the hopes he becomes a steady 4th liner.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Nothing much cheaper than a league-minimum ELC. Plus those young guys can learn the system quicker in the AHL. There's no negative to signing a guy like Fogarty versus a guy like Michael Haley or Kris Newbury.

Quote Originally Posted by Cash or Czech? View Post
    Nothing much cheaper than a league-minimum ELC. Plus those young guys can learn the system quicker in the AHL. There's no negative to signing a guy like Fogarty versus a guy like Michael Haley or Kris Newbury.
    You don't go out if your way to lock in 4th liners.

That's the point. ^^
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

We're not going out of our way. It also prevents you from signing $1.45M fourth liners.

Quote Originally Posted by Cash or Czech? View Post
    We're not going out of our way. It also prevents you from signing $1.45M fourth liners.
    No it doesn't.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    No it doesn't.
    Haha exactly.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    I feel a little dirty. When I see good news on one of these prospects, the first thing I sometimes do is go back to the OP to see what their size is, wondering was he from that one of the smurfs we drafted a few years ago? answer is no.

Then I remind myself that "hey Zucc is only 5-foot and a bit, but he delivers like size is no object. And lest I forget Marty in his heyday or even Theo Fleury and that Buffalo/Flyer fellow that tormented us with the french name that I forget for a moment.)

But the good news is Fogarty is 6'2" 194 so a decent frame to build on, and he's a center so I breathe a sigh of future relief.
    Obviously, one never knows with prospects but what I care most about some days is healthy prospects in the pipeline because the nightmare days of a barren farm system are still not forgotten, even if they are more than a decade in the past.

Talent Analysis

Fogarty has good offensive skills and a big body, which he uses well along the boards and in front of the net. A decent skater, he will need to improve his stride to move to the next level, but he is solid two-way forward, with decent hands.

Future

Fogarty has returned to Notre Dame for the 2015-16 season, his final year of eligibility. Now in his second year as captain of the hockey team, Fogarty is expected to play a large role in the team’s season. He will need to put up strong numbers for the Ranger to sign him to an ELC.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/steven_fogarty/

Quote Originally Posted by Future
    He will definitely be signed. He's a tough kid who has been team captain for two years now. He's clearly developed some offense now and we've signed guys as NCAA free agents who developed shower than this. Fogarty will be a bottom 6 guy, likely 4th liner, but a very good one. He brings every characteristic you look for in that role. Just as I said in the post above, could be a Paul Gaustad type.
    Fine with me, too.
    We have some solid talent on our 4th line in recent seasons, and I think of Fast and other guys who have rotated in and out of there, and 4th lines are playing an increasingly significant role on cup-winning teams, at least that's how it seems to me.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones
    Hidden Content

You sign him because you drafted him and it's league minimum. If you don't it's basically throwing away a draft pick. The kid is also just 22 years old, a center and has size. He still has upside and could develop further. Notre Dame plays very defensive oriented hockey. His floor is a fourth liner. Lindberg was the same way. You don't throw him away because you don't care about 4th liners.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast