Thread: Sean Day to Apply for "Exceptional Status" for OHL Draft; Request Granted

It's not so much me as it is Roenick. He's good. BSBH Legend

Sean Day to Apply for "Exceptional Status" for OHL Draft; Request Granted

Jeff Marek
    Update on 14 year old phenom Sean Day — Expect him to apply for 'exceptional status' for the OHL draft. That application is due by Feb 15...
    ...because he plays in a U.S system (Compuware) he had to first appeal to get approval to apply. That approval was granted. This process is...
    ...Under the jurisdiction of Hockey Canada, not the OHL for those who are curious.
    ##

For those who aren't familiar with Sean Day, he's already 6-2, 195 and scouts have said that they day he enters the OHL, he'll be the best skater in the league. There really hasn't been a kid like this who was this big/good at his age...ever. He's 2016 draft eligible and is a lock to be an NHL player on some level, if he wishes to be one. His physical gifts are incomparable.

Pain is the name of the game BSBH Legend
    Marek has been talking him through the roof, right next to Connor McDavid out of Canada, for weeks now.

I'm curious though, what exactly does "exceptional status" do? Does the OHL have a minimum age requirement that he can get around, despite his age?

And seriously... 6'2, 195lbs at fourteen? What a freak!
    Hidden Content

“Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser.”
    - John Tortorella

It's not so much me as it is Roenick. He's good. BSBH Legend
    Usually OHLers are 16-20, you can apply for exceptional status if you're just dominant at an early age. John Tavares did this, as well. But the appeal is done through Hockey Canada and they are usually very strict with it.

The thing is, both of Day's parent's are Canadian living in Detroit, and Sean is adamant about playing for the Canadian national team, so this is clearly a case of "you scratch my back, i'll scratch yours." They let him in the PHL, he plays for Team Canada in the U16's, U18's, U20's, and the next 4 Olympics, basically.

Fur now BSBH Rookie
    Hopefully he keeps developing his skills. It's easy to be the biggest 14 year old. I was < 5'/80 lbs at that age.

༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ BSBH Prospect
    6'2" 195 and fast at 14? Holy fuck.

Hope the Rangers tank in 2016.

In Vigneault, Veritas BSBH Prospect
    I'm pretty sure I was 6'2 195 at 14. I was about as athletic as a gravy boat, though.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

I'm not a Gynecologist, but I'll take a look. Junior Division
    He better play for Canada. I didn't even know people lived in Detroit anymore.

Moderator Junior Division
    The OHL exceptional rule came out due to the fact the USHL will allow 15 year olds to play in it.
    Tavares and others had thought about heading that direction rather then playing Canadian Bantam.

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    I saw this kid play 2 years ago when the Nationals were at the IH. He was the talk of the building at 12 years old.

Oluvir Gurood BSBH Prospect

[D] Sean Day Granted Exceptional Status; OHL Draft Eligible

@TSNBobMcKenzie
    Hearing Sean Day, CDN who plays for Compuware minor midgets, has been granted exceptional status by Hockey Canada and is OHL draft eligible.
    -----

He was born in 1998. Damn I feel old.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    Jeff Marek

##

For those who aren't familiar with Sean Day, he's already 6-2, 195 and scouts have said that they day he enters the OHL, he'll be the best skater in the league. There really hasn't been a kid like this who was this big/good at his age...ever. He's 2016 draft eligible and is a lock to be an NHL player on some level, if he wishes to be one. His physical gifts are incomparable.
    Eric Lindros?

HL30MR35 BSBH Prospect
    Great, another prospect to make me feel like shit.

This guy makes me feel worse than McDavid did because he's a fucking behemoth and a year younger.

I do have to say though, exceptional status is being given out a little too freely recently. Ekblad, McDavid and now Day have gotten it within the last few years. I'm sure all are very good, but it's only been done 4 times.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    Eric Lindros?
    Probably in comparison to their peers at the time....both Lindros and Lemiuex were monsters amongst the other JR players.
    But no...neither were near that large at the age of 14.

We have a 12 year old getting some serious looks from Bantam programs, (one more year left of Pee Wee).
    Went from the weakest skater in the league, to the strongest over the summer.

Last season was 5'4", and 160lbs as a 11 year old.
    This season 5"9" and 150lbs as a 12 year old.