Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Improvement Thread (Not The TV Show)

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NoControl View Post
    It really depends on the fix. If this is an issue with one piece hitting another piece repeatedly until it breaks and it's a matter of say an 1/8th of an inch or so, there may be an relatively easy solution that is a hack, but what ever. If it's as simple cutting off a tiny piece of plastic to make them not hit, or replacing all the inner workings, I know what I'm doing.
    BUt that tiny piece of plastic may do something else that you aren't aware of, and cutting it off can cause more problems. Just to play devil's advocate...

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    BUt that tiny piece of plastic may do something else that you aren't aware of, and cutting it off can cause more problems. Just to play devil's advocate...
    Absolutely, but he's at the point where he's going to replace the guts anyway. That means everything in there is going, might as well try a hack first. Worst case scenario is down the road he has to replace everything. Nothing he's describing is going to cause any long term damage by a hack, it's just going to not work, work temporarily or it will work long term. It sounds like this was a design flaw where some small amount of pressure over time (and maybe with different water types/corrosion elements) is causing a failure in a cheap plastic clamp.

Fair enough.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Fair enough.
    Believe me, when I have a sore tooth, I go to the dentist, I don't get out the black and decker and a 1/32 inch drill bit. But when the tiny arm screw for my 4 month old glasses broke and my optometrist said there was no way to get the thread out so I was going to have to pay out of pocket for a new pair of glasses, I first tried a carefully placed dab of crazy glue. That was 7 months or so ago. Another month and I can get a new pair through insurance again, saving $100 in the process.

I hear you, but I just feel like houses are a different animal, with a lot more engineering and physics going into it than glasses repair. Things are they way they are for certain reasons, things you don't always stop to consider unless you're a builder.

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by NoControl View Post
    Absolutely, but he's at the point where he's going to replace the guts anyway. That means everything in there is going, might as well try a hack first. Worst case scenario is down the road he has to replace everything. Nothing he's describing is going to cause any long term damage by a hack, it's just going to not work, work temporarily or it will work long term. It sounds like this was a design flaw where some small amount of pressure over time (and maybe with different water types/corrosion elements) is causing a failure in a cheap plastic clamp.
    I honestly think its a design flaw. I tried calling them and I just get a recording saying they aren't taking calls at this time. My issue is that it is impossible to find the parts, and with the way this breaks, there is just no way to rig it up to work. To me, it Home Depot is going to sell it, they should sell the replacement parts as well. And when you look on their website for places that sell replacement parts, all the Home Depots near us show up, and when we call them they tell us they don't carry those parts. I figure if I change all of the insides, if it needs to be fixed again, I can at least do something now.

Senior Member Midget Division
    O man I could fill this thread easily lol. I'm a pro DIY'r though, I don't pay anyone to do anything, except new roof and new driveway. I'll post up a bathroom project here soon.
    You can fix stupid, you can't use stupid as an excuse. -Mikey37

An update on my toilet situation. The plumber wound up being too busy to get here yesterday, so I decided to try calling Kohler again, and finally got through. I told them I wanted to make a complaint and told them that this is the second time in less than 2 years that the same part has broken, and that the toilet is only 4 years old, and that it is impossible to find the part anyplace. She tried to tell me that I could buy the part from them, and I told her the problem is that there is a design flaw with the part. She told me to hold on, and said they have a ton of the part in stock, and they can ship it to me right away as a courtesy free of charge. So now I just have to wait for the part, and it saved me a bunch of money. She told me that the part shouldnt be breaking, and I agreed with her that it souldnt, but that this is going to be my third part for the toilet.

Home Depot has great customer service, as well.

I broke one of the glass globes on the bathroom light when I installed the mirror. Rather than buy a new fixture, I identified the brand of the light, called Home Depot and told them that I just needed the glass globe. She took my info, they emailed me that afternoon and said the glass cost $5 and they'd waive it if I paid the $10 shipping. She sad that sometimes people return things that are broken in shipping and they just stockpile these random parts in case people need them.

Pretty cool.

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth Junior Division
    Home Depot has great customer service, as well.

I broke one of the glass globes on the bathroom light when I installed the mirror. Rather than buy a new fixture, I identified the brand of the light, called Home Depot and told them that I just needed the glass globe. She took my info, they emailed me that afternoon and said the glass cost $5 and they'd waive it if I paid the $10 shipping. She sad that sometimes people return things that are broken in shipping and they just stockpile these random parts in case people need them.

Pretty cool.

Yeah, I had a pretty good experience on one of their extended warranties.

Bought a dehumidifier for roughly $300, came with a one year manuf. warranty. I purchased an extra 2 years through home depot. Well, just before that 2 years was up, the dehumidfier started to malfunction.....still worked but the exhaust fan would only work on occasion.

Anyway, I callled customer service and told them the problem, they verified my warranty and within an hour emailed me an electronic gift card for the full price of the humidifer. They didn't even ask for me to return the one that I bought from them. I still have it, and could probably use it (in an emergency situation) if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Parsley View Post
    Yeah, I had a pretty good experience on one of their extended warranties.

Bought a dehumidifier for roughly $300, came with a one year manuf. warranty. I purchased an extra 2 years through home depot. Well, just before that 2 years was up, the dehumidfier started to malfunction.....still worked but the exhaust fan would only work on occasion.

Anyway, I callled customer service and told them the problem, they verified my warranty and within an hour emailed me an electronic gift card for the full price of the humidifer. They didn't even ask for me to return the one that I bought from them. I still have it, and could probably use it (in an emergency situation) if needed.
    Pretty cool.

What do you use the dehumidifier for? Moisture in basement?

Thats pretty cool. I just dont like going to Home Depot. They just started opening Loews here a couple of years ago, and I like them so much better. If you approach the workers at Home Depot, I sometimes get the feeling that they dont want to be bothered helping you, and it is harder to find things at Home Depot. We also found that the plants at Home Depot seem to die very quickly, where the Loews plants seem to last us a long time. I was at Home Depot a couple of months ago because my wife couldnt find a certain buld for the basement lights, I went to Home Depot, they had the bulb, but it looked different, and the guy that worked there was just trying to blow me off. I needed a reflective backed bulb, and the one I had was silver, and all the ones they had were white backed, so I wanted to make sure they were both the same, and the guy was just like thats all we have and thats it, without even looking at the bulb I had with me from the basement lighting.

Pretty cool.

What do you use the dehumidifier for? Moisture in basement?
    Yup. Without it, it would be damp as hell during the spring, summer and fall. Since it's so dry in the house during winter it's not needed Dec.-March
    Last edited by Parsley; 01-30-2013 at 12:15 PM.

Yup.
    Is the moisture noticeable? I know in my inspection report, they inspector recommended the use of a dehumidifier, but I wasn't sure how necessary it was. The basement doesn't smell "damp", at all.

Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    Thats pretty cool. I just dont like going to Home Depot. They just started opening Loews here a couple of years ago, and I like them so much better. If you approach the workers at Home Depot, I sometimes get the feeling that they dont want to be bothered helping you, and it is harder to find things at Home Depot. We also found that the plants at Home Depot seem to die very quickly, where the Loews plants seem to last us a long time. I was at Home Depot a couple of months ago because my wife couldnt find a certain buld for the basement lights, I went to Home Depot, they had the bulb, but it looked different, and the guy that worked there was just trying to blow me off. I needed a reflective backed bulb, and the one I had was silver, and all the ones they had were white backed, so I wanted to make sure they were both the same, and the guy was just like thats all we have and thats it, without even looking at the bulb I had with me from the basement lighting.
    We have small projects done through Lowes

-New storm door on the front of the house
    -New Carpeting
    -New Hardwood Floors

2 out of 3 purchases/installs were excellent through Lowes (they choose the installer, but guarantee the work)....Floors and Carpeting were a great price and installed fast and flawlessly. The front door installer had an ego, and seemed to run into some issues making him even more of an asshole.

All in all, I'd recommend them for smaller home projects (for my windows/siding/roof I went through a company specifying directly with those 3 projects).

Is the moisture noticeable? I know in my inspection report, they inspector recommended the use of a dehumidifier, but I wasn't sure how necessary it was. The basement doesn't smell "damp", at all.
    Not visibly. It shouldn't be either, then you'd have issues.

Now, a nasty damp/dank smell definetely appears if I don't run it atleast 12 hours a day during spring/summer/fall. Sometimes it's running 24/7 and it fills 2-3 times a day (30 pints each time)

You'd really notice it most when it's warm/humid/wet outside late spring and summer months.
    Last edited by Parsley; 01-30-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    As for Home Depot vs. Lowes with general items. They are pretty = to me. For the holidays I ask for Home Depot giftcards over Lowes only because there are 2 within 10 miles of me where there is only one Lowes. Pricewise they are very simiar in my opinion. In terms of flowers (which I buy plenty of) I see little difference although Lowes does seems to have better prices/sales on flowers in spring/summer. The one near me always has a "clearance" rack with flowers in bad shape, but they just need some TLC....I've bought $1(yup, ONE DOLLAR) knockout rose bushes and butterfly bushes that I've revived and look great now. Sometime they have flowers for as little as 10 cents! I always check out that rack when I visit. I think it's great they mark down stuff like that and let some people try to salvage plants instead of just tossing them.
    Last edited by Parsley; 01-30-2013 at 12:38 PM.

There's a HD SuperStore 5 minutes from me and they are HUGE. They have a DnD in the store...

If you have a finished basement and plan on putting a TV and furniture down there you should get one. Before we renovated my basement we it was always humid and we would empty he dehumidifier at least once a day over the spring and summer, now we can go about two to three days before we have to empty it. The problem is that the humidity is so great in this area, and it can warp the walls in the basement or you can grow mold if it gets too bad. It's definitely worth having.

As for Home Depot vs. Lowes with general items. They are pretty = to me. For the holidays I ask for Home Depot giftcards over Lowes only because there are 2 within 10 miles of me where there is only one Lowes. Pricewise they are very simiar in my opinion. In terms of flowers (which I buy plenty of) I see little difference although Lowes does seems to have better prices/sales on flowers in spring/summer. The one near me always has a "clearance" rack with flowers in bad shape, but they just need some TLC....I've bought $1(yup, ONE DOLLAR) knockout rose bushes and butterfly bushes that I've revived and look great now. Sometime they have flowers for as little as 10 cents! I always check out that rack when I visit. I think it's great they mark down stuff like that and let some people try to salvage plants instead of just tossing them.
    It's weird because near me, I have three Home Depots and near two of them, like within a 5 minute drive there is a Lowes, the Home Depot that isn't near one is in a shady area and I hardly ever go to that one anyway. Prices at Lowes seem lower than Home Depot, and the Home Depots near me are just too dark and I feel like Lowes has better selections and its easier to find stuff. Like you though, I only go to Lowes and Home Depot for small projects, I usually go to specific construction guys/companies for major projects.

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast