Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 602

Thread: Home Improvement Thread (Not The TV Show)

  1. #21
    ImagineAcceptingTheTruth BSBH Prospect
    Parsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Posts
    10,026
    Rep Power
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    I like those tiles, I didnt know they made fiber tiles like that. I bought my house in 2007, and right after we bought, prices dropped like crazy, and worst of all so did ours. I just hate putting so much money into it and the value is still as low as it is right now. Homes here on the south shore in Suffolk are still down as everyone is slow starting to go back up. We wanted to dormer the house before we had another kid, but that's not gonna happen now until the housing prices go back up. We want to start trying for our second kid this summer. We have a small room we can use, so it's not a major issue right now.
    Yup, sounds just like our situation with 2 kids now. The older girls room is SMALL, but she's still too young to complain. Problem we are ALREADY starting to run into is lack of space for toys, etc in the house. Our family room and our living room are starting to fill up. We are thinking the 2 girls may want to share a room in a few years and then the extra smaller bedroom we can use as a playroom. Problem is a few years after that, the older one will want her own space and that's when they'll be a problem in terms of toys/privacy etc.

    Also we have one full bathroom, and it's not big. We have one other toilet/sink in our laundry room area but the appraiser wouldn't even call it a 1/4 bath.

    Like I said, 5-7 years from now we'll have some tough decisions to make, but we can really enjoy the house now for the next several years. We love our yard (1/3 acre)......very similar to what I had growing up in Suffolk Co. actually.

  2. #22
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I am Scags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,756
    Rep Power
    50





    Deck will be in here

    master bath


  3. #23
    ImagineAcceptingTheTruth BSBH Prospect
    Parsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Posts
    10,026
    Rep Power
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by I am Scags View Post
    Here is a little of our addition which started in September: Still about a month to go until completed. Can't wait for the deck to finally go up.

    Wow!!! Awesome. That has got to be so exciting (and stressful) at the same time! Looks really good.
    Keep us updated. I love watching huge projects like that come along.
    Last edited by Parsley; 01-27-2013 at 11:30 PM.

  4. #24
    ImagineAcceptingTheTruth BSBH Prospect
    Parsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Posts
    10,026
    Rep Power
    86
    Scags, now I'm jealous!!!

    Need to go fine me 100K........LOL!!!!

    Good thing my wife isn't looking over my shoulder she'd be like "I WANT THHHHHHHAAAAAAAT"!!!!

  5. #25
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,237
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley View Post
    Yup, sounds just like our situation with 2 kids now. The older girls room is SMALL, but she's still too young to complain. Problem we are ALREADY starting to run into is lack of space for toys, etc in the house. Our family room and our living room are starting to fill up. We are thinking the 2 girls may want to share a room in a few years and then the extra smaller bedroom we can use as a playroom. Problem is a few years after that, the older one will want her own space and that's when they'll be a problem in terms of toys/privacy etc.

    Also we have one full bathroom, and it's not big. We have one other toilet/sink in our laundry room area but the appraiser wouldn't even call it a 1/4 bath.

    Like I said, 5-7 years from now we'll have some tough decisions to make, but we can really enjoy the house now for the next several years. We love our yard (1/3 acre)......very similar to what I had growing up in Suffolk Co. actually.
    Yeah, we wanted the extension because that way we could move our bedroom upstairs plus have another room up there. We also only have 1 bathroom, which isn't a problem right now because I work nights and my wife works days so we aren't in each others way, but that may change when we have more kids in the house when they get older. We have a lot of stuff in my basement for my son, so we have room right now for his stuff, but with the next one it may start to get tight. Renovating the basement was the best thing we could have done, it gave us so much room now, and we have an extra room to watch TV in. My next project is going to be the spare room and then probably the bathroom.

  6. #26
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I am Scags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,756
    Rep Power
    50
    Thanks man. Ton of stress.

    Trust me we can't afford it, and I'm even working a weekend job just to get some extra scratch. Hopefully we can enjoy it for a few years and then sell it.
    The original house was just so small.
    Its not our dream home, but its going to be good for us and just give us some room to breath.

  7. #27
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,237
    Rep Power
    77
    Scags, that looks awesome. It looks great, and adding on like hat has to be easier than adding up. When we were getting estimates to build up, we were told we had to move out of the house for up to 2 weeks, which is also our other problem because where do you go for 2 weeks. Spending all of the money it costs to dormer leaves you with no money to spend to stay anyplace.

  8. #28
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I am Scags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,756
    Rep Power
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    Scags, that looks awesome. It looks great, and adding on like hat has to be easier than adding up. When we were getting estimates to build up, we were told we had to move out of the house for up to 2 weeks, which is also our other problem because where do you go for 2 weeks. Spending all of the money it costs to dormer leaves you with no money to spend to stay anyplace.

    Thanks

    Exactly. Granted going up would have been cheaper and maybe looked a little better, but in the end we just had nowhere to go for what could have been 2 weeks to a month, plus to add stairs would have been a challenge.

    I just can't wait until its done so I can re landscape and add some life to the backyard. I've neglected it the last year with the intention of this addition in mind, which 'only' took a year to finally get plans and a loan done.

  9. #29
    ImagineAcceptingTheTruth BSBH Prospect
    Parsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Posts
    10,026
    Rep Power
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Niagaraiceman View Post
    I am in serious need of organization and space. In the next year or two, I want to fence my yard, rebuild my closets, refinish my half bath, and start on my basement. With my twins coming in less than 2 months, it seems like my house has just exploded with stuff, and I need to find places for everyyyyyy thing. Not so easy in a house that has about 1200 feet of finished living space.
    Good luck man! That's alot on your plate in the near term!!!

  10. #30
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,509
    Rep Power
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by Niagaraiceman View Post
    I am in serious need of organization and space. In the next year or two, I want to fence my yard, rebuild my closets, refinish my half bath, and start on my basement. With my twins coming in less than 2 months, it seems like my house has just exploded with stuff, and I need to find places for everyyyyyy thing. Not so easy in a house that has about 1200 feet of finished living space.
    A friend of mine had a great idea and has done it for a few pieces. He's decently handy and has free time to build stuff so he goes to Ikea with his smart phone, take pictures of the detailed tags that have all the dimensions/prices, then looks them up here:

    http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/custome...tructions.html

    He then figures out the measurements or adapts them to what he's looking to do, substitutes out the assembly hardware for more common methods and then builds stuff himself. He said it costs him about half as much as buying it. Of course, it takes more time and planning, but he also enjoys doing it.

    The folks at Ikea are awesome at space saving furniture concepts, though.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

  11. #31
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,237
    Rep Power
    77
    When we renovated the basement, when we were done we needed furniture, but where my basement door is, we only have an entrance inside he house, and the height going down into the basement, it was hard to get regular furniture down there, so we went to Ikea. We were able to get a nice couch for the basement that came in pieces and made it easy to get in the basement. We have a bunch of stuff from Ikea because it is cheaper than the furniture stores, and have never really had a problem with their stuff.

  12. #32
    Senior Member Junior Division
    Blue Heaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    9,907
    Rep Power
    84
    I called Alure and I cant schedule them to come b/c Im not the owner of the house. My mother is, and quite frankly she will have zero interest in sitting with us for 2-3 hours for them to come and do an estimate, and I wouldnt want her hovering over and giving her input on what should be done. My mom would want mirrors all over.

  13. #33
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,237
    Rep Power
    77
    So I called my plumber about my toilet, he said it would cost $100 to replace everything inside the tank, and $125 if we wanted to install a new toilet, plus the cost of a new toilet. We cant find the piece we need at any plumber store, and cant get in touch with Kohler themselves because they arent excepting calls. I think Im gonna bite the bullet and just have my plumber replace the inside of the tank, this is my second time in less than 2 years having this part break, and the toilet is only 4 years old, so it doesnt pay to get a new toilet yet, plus I dont have an extra $300 to buy a new toilet as well. I will not buy Kohler again.

  14. #34
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I am Scags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,756
    Rep Power
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    So I called my plumber about my toilet, he said it would cost $100 to replace everything inside the tank, and $125 if we wanted to install a new toilet, plus the cost of a new toilet. We cant find the piece we need at any plumber store, and cant get in touch with Kohler themselves because they arent excepting calls. I think Im gonna bite the bullet and just have my plumber replace the inside of the tank, this is my second time in less than 2 years having this part break, and the toilet is only 4 years old, so it doesnt pay to get a new toilet yet, plus I dont have an extra $300 to buy a new toilet as well. I will not buy Kohler again.
    Yea that sounds like your best bet to have the plumber replace the inside of the tank.

    If you do decide on a new toilet, I would go with American Standard. They may not have the fanciest styles but I haven't had any issues with them.

  15. #35
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,509
    Rep Power
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    So I called my plumber about my toilet, he said it would cost $100 to replace everything inside the tank, and $125 if we wanted to install a new toilet, plus the cost of a new toilet. We cant find the piece we need at any plumber store, and cant get in touch with Kohler themselves because they arent excepting calls. I think Im gonna bite the bullet and just have my plumber replace the inside of the tank, this is my second time in less than 2 years having this part break, and the toilet is only 4 years old, so it doesnt pay to get a new toilet yet, plus I dont have an extra $300 to buy a new toilet as well. I will not buy Kohler again.
    See, in this situation, I start thinking about how I can MacGyver it.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

  16. #36
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Maybe I'm just naive, but I'm not planning on doing quick fixes to anything in a property that I own because #1 I have to live there, and #2 you eventually have to fix it for real if/when you sell.

    Even tough it becomes costly, I think it's worth it, because either way at some point, you pay.

  17. #37
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,237
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by I am Scags View Post
    Yea that sounds like your best bet to have the plumber replace the inside of the tank.

    If you do decide on a new toilet, I would go with American Standard. They may not have the fanciest styles but I haven't had any issues with them.
    Yeah, the problem was, when we bought this toilet, we needed one quickly because our pipes were still cast iron, and they kept clogging up when we bought the house, so we were changing the pipes and it needed a new, updated toilet, so we kind of had to go out and get one quick. We had heard Kohler was a good brand, so we got that one. Next time I am getting an American Standard though, they are better quality from what I have heard.

  18. #38
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,237
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by NoControl View Post
    See, in this situation, I start thinking about how I can MacGyver it.
    I have been, but the problem is that the piece that broke is what holds the water tube into the flush valve, and if that tube isnt in the hole in the flush valve, you get very little water in the toilet itself. The problem is that when it flushes, the flush valve lifts up into the tube, and the plastic piece holding it in is very weak, its poorly designed, so now when we flush, we have to hold the tube in place for a little bit. If that piece didnt lift into the tube, I was gonna try super glueing it, but its not gonna work.

  19. #39
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,237
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    Maybe I'm just naive, but I'm not planning on doing quick fixes to anything in a property that I own because #1 I have to live there, and #2 you eventually have to fix it for real if/when you sell.

    Even tough it becomes costly, I think it's worth it, because either way at some point, you pay.
    Yeah, you are always better off just fixing things the right way so you dont make more problems for yourself.

  20. #40
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,509
    Rep Power
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    Maybe I'm just naive, but I'm not planning on doing quick fixes to anything in a property that I own because #1 I have to live there, and #2 you eventually have to fix it for real if/when you sell.

    Even tough it becomes costly, I think it's worth it, because either way at some point, you pay.
    It really depends on the fix. If this is an issue with one piece hitting another piece repeatedly until it breaks and it's a matter of say an 1/8th of an inch or so, there may be an relatively easy solution that is a hack, but what ever. If it's as simple cutting off a tiny piece of plastic to make them not hit, or replacing all the inner workings, I know what I'm doing.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •