Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: Home Improvement Thread (Not The TV Show)

HNIC BSBH Legend
    I got in after the bubble burst. My interest rate is 3.85. I've had the house for 5 years and it's worth about $50k more than I paid for it. I don't know if that's good or not haha.

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Landscaping question:

Last year I had my landscaper plant a bunch of 6 arborvitaes for privacy. He told me they were guaranteed which mean he would replace any that die. A couple of them ended up dying and he replaced them today but using 4 instead of 6. I should get the same size tree as last year, correct?
    Odd that he guaranteed them. My brother in law is in landscape design and construction. I wanted to get Arborvitaes as well for the same reason. He advised against them because they're very prone to disease.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm never moving again
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    This is how I feel as well. I like where I live, the neighborhood is quiet, schools are good. I can't complain about it at all, and thats the main reason we went with doing the dormer as opposed to buying a new house. When we first bought the house, that was our main goal because it already had a stairway into the attic, so all we have to do is build up. Most of the houses in the area that are the same style as mine have done the dormer. The other key thing is that we are right behind the Suffolk PD, so when the power goes out, we are on their power grid, so it usually comes back quickly.
    Same here gents. I literally hate my house but I don't ever wanna move. If I had it my way I would knock mine down and build in its place. I love my location, I love my neighborhood and most of my neighbors. I just hate the construction of my house. As big as it is I just feel there is no room. We have a 10 month old now and I cannot imagine ever bringing another child into this house. Its a high ranch so there really isn't all that much to do except for expand out, can't go up. Another thing a lot of people do with my type of house is use the garage as more living space. Something I am not willing to do, I like my two car garage. Its one of the reasons I compromised with my wife on buying this house in the first place. As well as it being the nicest house we could afford in the area we wanted to live. Guess you gotta take the good with the bad.

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by SaveByRichter35 View Post
    Odd that he guaranteed them. My brother in law is in landscape design and construction. I wanted to get Arborvitaes as well for the same reason. He advised against them because they're very prone to disease.

Same here gents. I literally hate my house but I don't ever wanna move. If I had it my way I would knock mine down and build in its place. I love my location, I love my neighborhood and most of my neighbors. I just hate the construction of my house. As big as it is I just feel there is no room. We have a 10 month old now and I cannot imagine ever bringing another child into this house. Its a high ranch so there really isn't all that much to do except for expand out, can't go up. Another thing a lot of people do with my type of house is use the garage as more living space. Something I am not willing to do, I like my two car garage. Its one of the reasons I compromised with my wife on buying this house in the first place. As well as it being the nicest house we could afford in the area we wanted to live. Guess you gotta take the good with the bad.
    Mine is a cape, so we lucked out with being able to build up. That was one of the reasons we bought this house, because it had the ease to build up eventually. It already had a nice staircase going up to the attic. The other thing for us is that our commutes to work are decent from here, and the taxes aren't too bad. We couldn't afford Nassau because of all the taxes they have. We are on the border, and we are close to the Babylon LIRR line, which is one of the better lines into the city. The main reason we needed to do a dormer is because my younger sons room is too small, so we needed a new bedroom for him.

Mine is a cape, so we lucked out with being able to build up. That was one of the reasons we bought this house, because it had the ease to build up eventually. It already had a nice staircase going up to the attic. The other thing for us is that our commutes to work are decent from here, and the taxes aren't too bad. We couldn't afford Nassau because of all the taxes they have. We are on the border, and we are close to the Babylon LIRR line, which is one of the better lines into the city. The main reason we needed to do a dormer is because my younger sons room is too small, so we needed a new bedroom for him.
    Yea we have 4 bedrooms but 2 of them are kinda small, at least in my opinion compared to what I grew up with, as well as having very little closet space. Our upstairs is all open concept with the kitchen, dining room, living room, and bar nook so we have that going for us. Its really just the bedrooms that annoy me regarding size and the fact they're on the same level as the rest of the house. I would prefer more of a colonial setup where the living space is all downstairs and the bedrooms are all upstairs. Back to location, we both work less than 5 miles from home, my commute would be much faster if I didn't have to go around the airport but its still only about 4 miles each way. We're right near the LIE, ISP, Ronkonkoma station, close to lots of shopping and dining, the Smithaven Mall isn't all that far away and neither is Sunrise. Very central to everything I care about, especially where I play hockey which is mostly the Rinx haha.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    We’ve got a shit ton of bees. Damn it
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Call a beekeeper? They'll take them if at all possible.

regular annoying ass bees? They arent honeybees. Look like yellow jackets

I've seen a few small nests. I think there's one in the garage somewhere, as I saw 3 or 4 small ones trying to get out the back door of the garage.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    I had a nest of yellow jacket bees last year, my landscaper took care of the problem.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

I have these stupid big bees, I think they are carpenter bees, and 1 or 2 just hover near my back door. We just replaced the wood fence there with PVC, so I was hoping they wouldn't be back this year. I don't know what they are going after. They also like to hover near a bush in my front yard. I have a huge piece of cardboard near my back door that I use to kill them when they are too close to the house.

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth BSBH Prospect
    I have these stupid big bees, I think they are carpenter bees, and 1 or 2 just hover near my back door. We just replaced the wood fence there with PVC, so I was hoping they wouldn't be back this year. I don't know what they are going after. They also like to hover near a bush in my front yard. I have a huge piece of cardboard near my back door that I use to kill them when they are too close to the house.
    They want wood for sure. They are always drilling into the wood panel ceiling of my back porch. I kill them with by swatting the shit out of them since they are big or seal up the hole they work on drilling.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    I had a nest of yellow jacket bees last year, my landscaper took care of the problem.
    she took care of 2 smaller ones. Thats a start!

Quote Originally Posted by Parsley View Post
    They want wood for sure. They are always drilling into the wood panel ceiling of my back porch. I kill them with by swatting the shit out of them since they are big or seal up the hole they work on drilling.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Yeah, by me, they just hover and then fly away. My neighbor has a bunch of wood in his backyard, so I think thats where they are coming from, but I love to smack them and watch those fuckers go flying away.

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth BSBH Prospect
    Yeah, by me, they just hover and then fly away. My neighbor has a bunch of wood in his backyard, so I think thats where they are coming from, but I love to smack them and watch those fuckers go flying away.
    Yeah, if they are trying to drill into my house they get the smack down. I'll leave them alone if they are near the wooden fence.

Just so you guys know, when you agitate and kill a bee they send out a scent that attracts more bees to come to them. If they're not doing anything just leave them be.

Quote Originally Posted by SaveByRichter35 View Post
    Just so you guys know, when you agitate and kill a bee they send out a scent that attracts more bees to come to them. If they're not doing anything just leave them be.
    yeah - thats why I make my wife do it.
    I had a nest on my outdoor swing. I love that thing.

And I thought that only applied to wasps and yellow jackets (what I have), and not Honey or Bumbles

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    yeah - thats why I make my wife do it.
    I had a nest on my outdoor swing. I love that thing.

And I thought that only applied to wasps and yellow jackets (what I have), and not Honey or Bumbles
    If there is a nest then sure get rid of it. But if its one bee just flying around let it be it'll go away. As for your second comment that is a good question. One of my coworkers is a beekeeper on her own time, I'll ask her and get back to you on that.

My issue is that it hovers right at my back door and dive bombs the kids as the walk by to go play back there.

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233