Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Improvement Thread (Not The TV Show)

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Anyone got any projects going on? I've been researching about redoing my fireplace and mantel. Figured out how I want it to look so going to start it in the coming weeks, I'll take before and after pics.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Anyone got any projects going on? I've been researching about redoing my fireplace and mantel. Figured out how I want it to look so going to start it in the coming weeks, I'll take before and after pics.
    Did you finish the basement yet?
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Figured I would bring some life back to this thread since of the recent water in my basement. It's either the soil against the foundation that isn't pitched properly because of the sprinkler system that was installed last July or there might be a backup on the sewer line on my property that my gutters are connected to. The latter starts to make a little sense because I've noticed water backup in my drains around the house.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

For those looking for a powerwasher, I just picked up one on Amazon for their deal of the day for $100 less than home depot sells for - Generac 3100psi gas 2.4
    Last edited by Vodka Drunkenski; 05-15-2018 at 03:58 PM.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Banned Midget Division
    I'm thinking if I should put in a pool. Little nervous about kids going in unsupervised when my wife and I are not home. any thoughts?

Inground or above?
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    I'm thinking if I should put in a pool. Little nervous about kids going in unsupervised when my wife and I are not home. any thoughts?
    No.

Maintenance, insurance, kids like me raiding your kitchen all summer.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Finally have a closing date on a refinance on my house. We are putting a full dormer on the house. We were originally putting a half dormer, and when they told us the price difference for a full dormer, it was a no brainer. Adding 3 bedrooms and another bathroom upstairs, and converting my sons now room into more of the living room, knocking down the wall separating them.

Exciting times for sure
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    Finally have a closing date on a refinance on my house. We are putting a full dormer on the house. We were originally putting a half dormer, and when they told us the price difference for a full dormer, it was a no brainer. Adding 3 bedrooms and another bathroom upstairs, and converting my sons now room into more of the living room, knocking down the wall separating them.
    What's the going to do to your taxes?

It will raise a good chunk for sure, depends where he's located and how much all the renovations cost. That's why I did all mine without permit but by the sounds, he's adding a complete addition which is impossible to hide.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Here, taxes are based on the assessment of the house. Assessments are done around the time you are trying to sell, unless you call and request an assessment - which is usually done when the value of the home decreases.

I would suggest having your insurance reappraise the house, after the renovations, though.

And this could all be wrong... hence why I ask my mom this stuff.

Landscaping question:

Last year I had my landscaper plant a bunch of 6 arborvitaes for privacy. He told me they were guaranteed which mean he would replace any that die. A couple of them ended up dying and he replaced them today but using 4 instead of 6. I should get the same size tree as last year, correct?
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

size doesn’t matter

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Landscaping question:

Last year I had my landscaper plant a bunch of 6 arborvitaes for privacy. He told me they were guaranteed which mean he would replace any that die. A couple of them ended up dying and he replaced them today but using 4 instead of 6. I should get the same size tree as last year, correct?
    Ask him why he replaced them with the four-foot variety. It could have something to do with the reason the six foot one died

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Landscaping question:

Last year I had my landscaper plant a bunch of 6’ arborvitaes for privacy. He told me they were guaranteed which mean he would replace any that die. A couple of them ended up dying and he replaced them today but using 4’ instead of 6’. I should get the same size tree as last year, correct?
    I told you to call my guy, but nooooo. Good luck with your duster.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I told you to call my guy, but nooooo. Good luck with your duster.
    I know, I suck
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    What's the going to do to your taxes?
    Im hoping it won't go up too much, they were telling us maybe half of what we are paying now. Its easier to do the work instead of trying to sell our house and buy a bigger one. We wouldn't get back enough to pay off the house because the market is so low. There are at least 6 empty or for sale houses within a 2 block radius of me.

It will raise a good chunk for sure, depends where he's located and how much all the renovations cost. That's why I did all mine without permit but by the sounds, he's adding a complete addition which is impossible to hide.
    Yeah, we had to get the permits for this. We renovated our basement and didn't need the permits because the house was already listed as having a finished basement. The only thing we have to do extra now is get a permit for our awning in the backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Here, taxes are based on the assessment of the house. Assessments are done around the time you are trying to sell, unless you call and request an assessment - which is usually done when the value of the home decreases.

I would suggest having your insurance reappraise the house, after the renovations, though.

And this could all be wrong... hence why I ask my mom this stuff.
    I wish they waited until you sold to reassess the house. Here, they hit you for everything you do to the house. We had to get an appraisal because we are putting the loan for the renovation in with the mortgage. The company we a re using gave us a loan based on what the house will be worth rather than doing a home equity loan, and it actually worked out in our favor because now, its only costing us a couple of more hundred per month rather than two big payments.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Ask him why he replaced them with the four-foot variety. It could have something to do with the reason the six foot one died
    I agree with Pete here.

Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast