• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hey Yo: WWE, AEW, Impact and More

Phil

How in the world does this happen?

Tragic news out of Mexico as Asistencia Asesoria y Administracion wrestler Pedro Aguayo Ramirez (better known as Hijo del Perro Aguayo) died Friday night in Tijuana while taking part in a tag-team match with former WWE performer Rey Mysterio.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/the-turnstile/mexican-wrestler-dies-following-match-with-ex-wwe-superstar-rey-mysterio-192735547.html

[video=youtube;N5UoRG-QuiY]

Ramirez took a spinning head scissors from Mysterio during the match, got back into the ring, and then took a dropkick to setup a 619 from Mysterio. At this time, the cause of death appears to be from a snapped vertebrae when Aguayo’s head landed on the ropes following the dropkick.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/563093-el-hijo-del-perro-aguayo-death-manslaughter

--

There are also reports he may have suffered a stroke.

Decided to start watching Wrestlemania mid Sting/HHH, saw the shitty end with Sting losing, heard JBL say "...and the right side won again" and immediately turned it off.

If this doesn't effectively sum up why I despise this company, I don't know what does.

Decided to start watching Wrestlemania mid Sting/HHH' date=' saw the shitty end with Sting losing, heard JBL say "...and the right side won again" and immediately turned it off. If this doesn't effectively sum up why I despise this company, I don't know what does.[/quote']

It was a great match up until the end, JBL needs to be smacked. The IC ladder match was a good one.

Not sure I'll stay up for the rest of it

I'll just leave this here.

Also, the nWo was kind of stupid, logically speaking. Sting went to war with them for longer than he was allies with them. In fact, it's considered the greatest story ever told in WCW history — Sting, the WCW crusader, versus Hogan, the nWo invader.

During today’s WWE conference call hosted by Vince McMahon, during the Q&A segment of the call, Vince said one of the reasons why they brought Sting into the company is due to the marketing power of WWE. He said they were able to take Sting “out of obscurity” and make him a major attraction.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/566877-vince-says-wwe-took-sting-out-of-obscurity

--

Nothing says "Thanks, Sting" like "you should be thanking us for saving you from obscurity!" Instead of the high road answer that writes itself — "because he's one of the greatest in the history of the industry and we saw an opportunity to give him his Wrestlemania moment — something he deserved, something we owed him — as a thank you for all his years of service to our wonderful fans..." we get this pot shot bullshit. Again. I'm surprised Vince didn't break his own arm patting himself that hard on his own back.

It never ceases to amaze me the level of arrogance and pretentiousness that surround the decision-makers in that company.

If you ever wanted a lesson, first-hand, on why the relentless "brand" bullshit and rhetoric like "WWE rejects" exists and thrives to this day, quotes like this explain it perfectly.

Come home, Sting.

I'll just leave this here.
Also' date=' the nWo was kind of stupid, logically speaking. Sting went to war with them for longer than he was allies with them. In fact, it's considered the greatest story ever told in WCW history — Sting, the WCW crusader, versus Hogan, the nWo invader.[/quote']

I was actually hoping they were going to turn on sting, that's the ending I was looking for.

To set up for a revenge match? That'd have made a lot more sense. But still would probably have been too much.

Dunno if you were watching TNA then, but they had a match like that with Styles when he dropped the title to Magnus, and Magnus had like 38 guys come in, one after the other to run interference just to get the pin on him. It made Magnus look like a fuckin' joke. Took him a solid year to recover from it.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/566877-vince-says-wwe-took-sting-out-of-obscurity -- Nothing says "Thanks' date=' Sting" like "you should be thanking us for saving you from obscurity!" Instead of the high road answer that writes itself — "because he's one of the greatest in the history of the industry and we saw an opportunity to give him his Wrestlemania moment — something he deserved, something we owed him — as a thank you for all his years of service to our wonderful fans..." we get this pot shot bullshit. Again. I'm surprised Vince didn't break his own arm patting himself that hard on his own back. It never ceases to amaze me the level of arrogance and pretentiousness that surround the decision-makers in that company. If you ever wanted a lesson, first-hand, on why the relentless "brand" bullshit and rhetoric like "WWE rejects" exists and thrives to this day, quotes like this explain it perfectly. Come home, Sting.[/quote']

But what's home at this point, really? Wrestling is a dying sport IMO.

To set up for a revenge match? That'd have made a lot more sense. But still would probably have been too much. Dunno if you were watching TNA then' date=' but they had a match like that with Styles when he dropped the title to Magnus, and Magnus had like 38 guys come in, one after the other to run interference just to get the pin on him. It made Magnus look like a fuckin' joke. Took him a solid year to recover from it.[/quote']

I actually haven't been paying attention to wrestling for the most part. The only reason I tuned to wrestle mania was to see how sting would be used. The whole DX/nWo thing threw me off, in a good way until they didn't turn.

WWE is never going out of business. At worst, like TNA, they'll scale their model back to operate within a financial bubble that leaves them in the black.

TNA signed a two-year deal with Destination America, so they're in business at least another year, if not longer.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/566877-vince-says-wwe-took-sting-out-of-obscurity

--

Nothing says "Thanks, Sting" like "you should be thanking us for saving you from obscurity!" Instead of the high road answer that writes itself — "because he's one of the greatest in the history of the industry and we saw an opportunity to give him his Wrestlemania moment — something he deserved, something we owed him — as a thank you for all his years of service to our wonderful fans..." we get this pot shot bullshit. Again. I'm surprised Vince didn't break his own arm patting himself that hard on his own back.

It never ceases to amaze me the level of arrogance and pretentiousness that surround the decision-makers in that company.

If you ever wanted a lesson, first-hand, on why the relentless "brand" bullshit and rhetoric like "WWE rejects" exists and thrives to this day, quotes like this explain it perfectly.

Come home, Sting.

Yeah, even if they want to ignore his WCW stuff, he was a very influential guy during the NWA and Jim Crockett days. But yeah McMahon is arrogant because Sting was one of the biggest draws in wrestling period. At the height of the Monday Night Wars, people were more interested in guys like Sting than The Rock, Stone Cold and a number of the other major guys the WWF had at the time.

The fact that he was able to be such a decisive and interesting character without speaking in a time where cutting promos were the new big thing to do is amazing. To me, I look at Sting a lot like I look at Chris Jericho for the most part as a truly underrated worker who doesn't get the total credit he deserves.

Jericho is one of the few "WCW guys" who didn't get utterly shit on when he went to WWE, probably because he jumped earlier and wasn't subject to that fucking horrible invasion angle.

Yet guys with built-in equity like Goldberg, Steiner, DDP and Booker T all ended up getting rung out like wet mops.