Page 1 of 97 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gun Control Debate

Former Moderator BSBH Legend

Arrow The Gun Control Debate

Keep all debate about gun control in this thread, please keep the breaking news threads for facts.

Quote Originally Posted by I am Scags View Post
    BEFORE this thing gets political guys, can I ask that we just keep it sane, report the news, keep the victims in our throughts and prayers, and get into the anti gun debate that is surely going to get going later?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    We can keep it sane, and report the news, but the gun control debate is something that should be happening now.

@MMFlint:
    Only minutes away from pundits & politicians say, "This isn't the time to talk about gun control." Really? When is that moment?
    The way to honor these dead children is to demand strict gun control, free mental health care, and an end to violence as public policy.
    Too soon to speak out about a gun-crazy nation? No, too late. At least THIRTY-ONE school shootings since Columbine

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    This debate could go on and on forever. No matter what the laws are and what the government does to keep the guns to a minimum, it won't prevent sick mother fuckers from doing horrific things. There's too much accessible information on how to make bombs, guns, grenades and where to get them, underground worlds, etc ... You'll never stop it and imo, you'll never even contain it.

This is why I don't want to have kids. The world is a very dangerous place. Part of me wants to just move to North Dakota.

Sighing Dutchman BSBH Prospect
    2.23 ammunition, I believe, can rip through concrete walls.
    Confirmative.

Folks, this is a legal weapon for private owners in the US. For sale in most states without prior checks and in some states without registration.

There are nations' whose armies do not carry guns this heavy. It's a combat situation assault rifle.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    This is why I don't want to have kids. The world is a very dangerous place. Part of me wants to just move to North Dakota.
    If school shootings keep happening, I will tell Grace that we should consider moving to The Netherlands if we have children one day.
    Hidden Content

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    This debate could go on and on forever. No matter what the laws are and what the government does to keep the guns to a minimum, it won't prevent sick mother fuckers from doing horrific things. There's too much accessible information on how to make bombs, guns, grenades and where to get them, underground worlds, etc ... You'll never stop it and imo, you'll never even contain it.
    Of course, but that's not to say you can't restrict the sale of registered weapons by putting in more hurdles in the process, or push mental health care — two things that can drastically reduce the likelihood of events like this to happen again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Confirmative.

Folks, this is a legal weapon for private owners in the US. For sale in most states without prior checks and in some states without registration.

There are nations' whose armies do not carry guns this heavy. It's a combat situation assault rifle.
    Correct, and the issue is that private owners can purchase it without a background check, or registration, and that there is no psychological evaluation required before purchase can be made, not that the weapon itself is available on the market.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    My only fear is that like prohibition in the 20s and 30' that failed, with a country our size and such a diverse culture, and an open border to the south where millions of dollars in drugs and weapons stream across it every day, that a strict National gun law will never work. Criminals and sick fucks will always find a way to get around the law.

I Agree with any laws, but I have zero delusions that it would stop massacres like this happening. We live in a sick world with sick people and they will always find a way to do this.
    Last edited by I am Scags; 12-14-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    It is what it is. Play the hand you're dealt. Moving to ND won't ensure your families safety. Will it decrease the chances of a bad situation? Maybe. Ask that question to the residents that lived in Columbine before that tragedy happened. Point is, anywhere, anytime, anything can happen.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Confirmative.

Some would argue that even with these types of weapons, in case of a necessary armed revolt against an oppressive government, we would be at a major disadvantage.

Especially those gun owners who own several weapons should be proponents of checks. They all look like jackasses given the sad state of America's gun culture. If you are a responsible, common gun owner, maybe an AR is a little much, but a handgun and hunting rifles should be fine. They are fine in the hands of the vast majority of American gun owners, but weed out the scum and the idiots who own them too.

The government will be forced to take action if they don't do it themselves. Make sure your sale is legal and safe, before the government decides the country is better off without guns. The fear this is the beginning of the end of gun ownership is true, but not because the government is evil, but because some of your fellow gun owners are.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by NoControl View Post
    Some would argue that even with these types of weapons, in case of a necessary armed revolt against an oppressive government, we would be at a major disadvantage.
    Today a group of toddlers was at a major disadvantage because of this type of weapon. 31 public mass shootings since Columbine and zero displays of a necessary revolt have made that argument not only outdated, but very laughable for whoever wishes to use it.
    Hidden Content

I'd be one of them. I don't buy into it 100%, but the right to bear arms reserves the right to bear arms, not Revolutionary War-era muskets.

I have no issue with gun ownership, or even ownership of military-grade weaponry. What I have issue with is the ease of acquiring them, and the lack of respect guns are treated with that leads to shit like this.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    I honestly never knew how easy anyone could go get an assault rifle.

Unfortunately, our 225 year old govt classifies as bearing arms as a right.

Today a group of toddlers was at a major disadvantage because of this type of weapon. 31 public mass shootings since Columbine and zero displays of a necessary revolt have made that argument not only outdated, but very laughable for whoever wishes to use it.
    They were at a major disadvantage because of some psychopath(s). Remember, Oklahoma City Federal Building was blown up with fertilizer.

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    I'd be one of them. I don't buy into it 100%, but the right to bear arms reserves the right to bear arms, not Revolutionary War-era muskets.

I have no issue with gun ownership, or even ownership of military-grade weaponry. What I have issue with is the ease of acquiring them, and the lack of respect guns are treated with that leads to shit like this.
    Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by NosLliWhsoj View Post
    I honestly never knew how easy anyone could go get an assault rifle.

Unfortunately, our 225 year old govt classifies as bearing arms as a right.
    As well it should be, and remain, but that says nothing of the ease to acquire these weapons. The issue is with the process of doing so, not the physical ownership of any specific grade weapon.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

No problem with this.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
    Well regulated. That's where we are failing. Not in the types of guns, but who has them and why.

No problem with this.

Well regulated. That's where we are failing. Not in the types of guns, but who has them and why.
    Exactly. This is why I want to put numerous hurdles in front of all gun ownership. Psychological exams at the forefront. You can't pass a psych exam? You CANNOT own a gun.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Exactly. This is why I want to put numerous hurdles in front of all gun ownership. Psychological exams at the forefront. You can't pass a psych exam? You CANNOT own a gun.
    I'm also in favor of biometric "passwords" for guns so that a lawfully owned gun can not fire except for it's owner. And I don't care how much that raises the cost.

Page 1 of 97 1231151 ... LastLast