Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Podcasts

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    But how's it possible that most of the timing of the events and evidence and cell trail play out in a damning way for Adnan, combining with an incompetent lawyer...?

I don't know if he did it. I don't think he did, but I'm not positive. But there's enough reasonable doubt that I can't believe he was convicted.
    Well they say that only 6-8PM are the only times that are completely accounted for on the cell call log. The rest is up for debate because Jay's timeline and story is full of inconsistencies and questions. I mean look at the timelines:
    http://serialpodcast.org/maps/timelines-january-13-1999

Jay's story changes every single time. Some dude Jeff comes out for the first time in the trial testimony.

I think it's damning if you believe the Jay's story. If Adnan is really at the library until ~2:40, which that girl Asia wrote an affadavit to, then it makes even less sense.

I think there's a bit of confirmation bias. I think they look at the call log and they look at Jay's story and they say, we have a match here. But if Jay's story is made up, it's probably based around the Jay's recollection call log from that day (because he had the phone for most of the day and knew of Adnan's whereabouts all day).

I don't believe Jay's story. It changes so much. Some of the details don't fit the call log, which is the backbone of the state's case (a weak one at that).

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    Well they say that only 6-8PM are the only times that are completely accounted for on the cell call log. The rest is up for debate because Jay's timeline and story is full of inconsistencies and questions. I mean look at the timelines:
    http://serialpodcast.org/maps/timelines-january-13-1999

Jay's story changes every single time. Some dude Jeff comes out for the first time in the trial testimony.

I think it's damning if you believe the Jay's story. If Adnan is really at the library until ~2:40, which that girl Asia wrote an affadavit to, then it makes even less sense.

I think there's a bit of confirmation bias. I think they look at the call log and they look at Jay's story and they say, we have a match here. But if Jay's story is made up, it's probably based around the Jay's recollection call log from that day (because he had the phone for most of the day and knew of Adnan's whereabouts all day).

I don't believe Jay's story. It changes so much. Some of the details don't fit the call log, which is the backbone of the state's case (a weak one at that).
    True but Adnan story changed as well. And there were omissions (asking Hae for a ride).

I don't believe Jay either, FTR.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    True but Adnan story changed as well. And there were omissions (asking Hae for a ride).

I don't believe Jay either, FTR.
    I thought Adnan admitted that he asked Hae for a ride. But I could infer she didn't give him one as she would have said, "No, I need to pickup my cousin and go to the wrestling match." So then he would have had to have forced/coerced himself in to her car somehow which he could have done anyway without asking previously...

His story changed, you're right, but I can't remember exactly what changed and how often.

Here's an interesting article about what's to come from The Innocence Project:

http://time.com/3639655/serial-innoc...irdre-enright/

You were recorded on the podcast saying that there was always sex involved with Moore’s alleged crimes. Was there evidence of that here?

What we know is that Hae had her clothes on, although I know her shirt and bra had been moved up. And her skirt was on but pushed up. As far as I can tell from the lab reports, they definitely did a physical evidence recovery kit where they did anal and vaginal swabs and swabs in her mouth, but they never tested any of that—which is somewhat odd. There were hairs on her body, two of which were microscopically compared to Adnan, and he was excluded and they didn’t belong to her either. Then there was this rope near her body.

If there’s a possibility that Ronald Moore or somebody else did this, then why would Jay say he’d helped Syed dispose of Lee’s body?

I have no idea. But I wonder about whether Jay somehow got involved with people who had some other entire scheme going on and it’s them he’s afraid of. Because even now he appears to be terrified, and Adnan is in jail so how could it be Adnan that he’s afraid of?

In Josh’s account in the last episode there are these people Jay’s worried about while he’s at work. It sounded like what they were trying to suggest is he’s worried about Adnan, but it makes more sense to me that there’s somebody else he’s worried about entirely that’s not Adnan. And he just realizes that [the police are suspicious of] Adnan, and he knows Adnan is this teenager who isn’t going to hurt him.

When Sarah spoke to Jay on the show, one of the comments she reported him saying was, “Well if it’s not Adnan, who was it?” And I thought, “Who says that?” It was such a bizarre comment.

That didn’t strike me as strange at the time, but now that you’re saying it I guess it is weird.

In this one particular capital murder case that I did a lot of re-investigation on, what I learned was that the people who have dealt with law enforcement over a long period of time were really good at figuring out at the beginning of an interview how much [the interviewer] knows. And then they give up information right to that line.

So when Jay said that: “Well then who is it?” I thought, “If anyone knows, it’s Jay.” My suspicion is he’s trying to get her to give up what she knows so he can respond. He’s gaming. And it did seem that he was genuinely concerned about safety. But Adnan is locked up, so who does he have to worry about?

Do you think defense attorney Christina Gutierrez botched the case?

I remember thinking that having a six-week trial, that would be a long trial where you’ve gotten to do a lot. It does sound to me like Gutierrez did a lot and fought a lot. It also seems very clear to me that she was falling apart. She had cancer and MS, and I don’t think that was known to most people. [Gutierrez died in 2004]

I looked into MS and some of the symptoms, and the stress of getting halfway through the trial and getting a mistrial and starting again? The stress would be really bad for you if you had MS.

My biggest concern, though, is that there was physical evidence, and nobody tested it—not Maryland and not her. If you’ve got a client and he’s maintaining his innocence, you would tell him about this physical evidence, and you would have discussions about testing it. And Adnan knew nothing about the physical evidence.

In the last episode producer Dana Chivvis argued, “If [Adnan] didn’t do it, then my God that guy is ridiculously unlucky.” What did you think of that given your experience with the Innocence Project?

I think one thing is, a lot of normal things are made to look like bad luck when they are making you into a suspect. This is what happens when you decide to build a case against someone. You look and say, “All these phone calls are so suspicious.” But that’s only if you buy into Jay’s timeline of when it happened and when she went missing because it’s entirely possible that Hae was alive for another week. Something bad happened, but those phone calls may be nothing, right?

Wrongful conviction cases are terrifying because it’s often just people going about their life and then all of the sudden they are a suspect. One by one the things start happening: Someone misidentifies you, you get a bad lawyer by chance, the lawyer doesn’t believe you. People say, “Oh he had such bad luck.” The other way to look at it is often it’s a lot of people in the system using bad practices, not crossing Ts and dotting Is.

So the world is a terrifying place. I think all the time about how you can become that person.
    Interesting stuff, particularly that last question I put in the quote. It's how I feel as well.

Seems to me she's unwilling to commit to saying that his attorney fucked up - probably in an attempt to not speak ill of the dead and also to not speak ill of a fellow attorney. She's playing the angle that her illness probably had her distracted and off her game.

Jay did an interview:

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2...ial-case-pt-1/

And it's pretty different from his first three stories and still doesn't match the phone call log.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Two of my really good friends started one a bit back called The Workbench Podcast. It basically covers all types of "nerdy" topics like iOS apps, website set-up, cloud storage, video chat, browser extensions, etc. It's kind of a work flow 'cast that might help shed light on things that can help you in your every day life, work, etc.

Yes, this is a bit of a plug, but it's seriously a great 'cast. Worth your time.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

For fans of the new defunct Backhand Shelf podcast, check out the Steve Dangle Podcast. Yes, that Steve Dangle. It's hilarious. Another three-voice 'cast that talks hockey, pop culture, etc.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Well, damn... #MvsW apparently will no longer stream live. New "schedule" for this year is maybe four shows a week — Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday.

@wyshynski: Thanks for understanding re: live streaming of #MvsW. I know a lot of you do, and we wish we could continue it, but scheds are scheds (1/2)

@wyshynski: What we will do is give ample notice when we're taping, so we can make sure to read QoD tweets and the like when we tape. #MvsW

@wyshynski: Bottom line: #MvsW will be a daily part of all our lives, which was sort of up in the air given our schedules. Happy we've got a plan.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

I won't miss the live streams because I never watched them. We'll see if they stick to the 4 days a week schedule. Unfortunately, our friends Jeff and Greg have gotten pretty busy as their roles have grown and I just can't see how they can make time do this that often for the whole season.

Yeah, I'd imagine it'll be more and more infrequent, but I don't think it'll ever go away.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Kypreos and MacLean were awful today, don't listen. It's like they felt bad for talking hockey when they know nobody in Toronto gives a shit atm.

I used to like Kypreos, now I'm not sure what I was thinking.

Was a boring episode in general, with so much time spent talking to Gary Bettman.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

His name is... BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Was a boring episode in general, with so much time spent talking to Gary Bettman.
    It was listed as a "special edition" in my podcast menu, which usually means boring for them.

No, that's an additional one. The actual episode was normal. The "special" was just Greg at Brodeur's retirement thing. I didn't even listen to it. Just swiped "Mark as Read".
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

His name is... BSBH Prospect
    No, that's an additional one. The actual episode was normal. The "special" was just Greg at Brodeur's retirement thing. I didn't even listen to it. Just swiped "Mark as Read".
    Ah. The Sept. 30th episode is the last I listened to. I loved it, just got around to it yesterday and it got me juiced for tonight.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Junior Division
    Well, damn... #MvsW apparently will no longer stream live. New "schedule" for this year is maybe four shows a week — Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday.

@wyshynski: Thanks for understanding re: live streaming of #MvsW. I know a lot of you do, and we wish we could continue it, but scheds are scheds (1/2)

@wyshynski: What we will do is give ample notice when we're taping, so we can make sure to read QoD tweets and the like when we tape. #MvsW

@wyshynski: Bottom line: #MvsW will be a daily part of all our lives, which was sort of up in the air given our schedules. Happy we've got a plan.
    Well that certanly sucks

#MvsW just turned me onto this...

www.hockeypdocast.com

No, that's not a typo.

Break out your calculators!
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

DailyFaceoff apparently has a podcast now as well:

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/...353891904&mt=2

Hosted by "Seegs, Beebs and "D"... whoever they are.

Gonna listen to it shortly.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Their podcast is mainly fantasy hockey focused.

Any good?
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast