Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Penalty

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect

Death Penalty

I know this is a touchy subject, but with what happened yesterday, I think this is a good time to talk about the death penalty. For those of you that dont know, yesterday on the Nassau/Queens border, a savage hit another vehicle in front of a marked police car and took off. The cops chased him down the Cross Island Parkway, the animal was driving on his rims. He got off the parkway and stopped his car. As the cop approached him, the animal got out of the car, and shot the cop in the chest killing him, unfortunately the cop wasnt wearing his vest for some reason. This animal then took off back onto the Cross Island and forced an innocent driver off the road. He pulled the poor guy out of his car and shot him once in the head and took off in his car, then abandoned the car a couple of blocks away. They found this piece of garbage last night in a car with self inflicted gun shot wounds to his shoulder and thigh, the coward can shoot others in the head, but not himself. He is now under arrest for the murder's of two innocent people. He has a pretty extensive rap sheet, and served 5 years for attempted murder from 2004-2008, then was paroled, was arrested for violating his parole, and then served a year for dealing drugs.

The question has come up about whether this piece of garbage should be face the death penalty or not. I feel that if there is not doubt about it that someone commits a horrific crime, the person should get the death penalty. Crimes of murder, rape and crimes against kids should be death penalty cases in my opinion. Its obvious that just doing jail time isnt enough since it seems like these guys just come out and repeat their crimes. Gun laws arent enough since its not the legal gun owners that are committing these crimes, and something needs to stop people from committing these crimes. Across the nation this year, crimes involving guns and murders have sky rocketed. Its time to stop these, and the only way to curb them is to increase the punishments. What is everyone else's take on the death penalty?

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    The death penalty does not work. This has been proven, time and time again. Look at the state of Texas. They've had capital punishment since 1819. The number of murders, violent crimes, rape, etc. they have each year is absurdly high when you consider that capital punishment is supposed to "deter" that type of behavior.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/txcrime.htm

The death penalty is an archaic system that was designed to serve as the fulfillment of avenging someone's death for their family and friends. It DOES NOT, however, deter violent crime in any way, so what is the point of it when it often costs the state more to execute an individual than it does to house them in prison?

To me this is all part of the greater prison reform debate, and reform is something I'm very much in support of. The system does not work, because it's based on retribution, not rehabilitation.
    Last edited by Phil in Absentia; 10-24-2012 at 11:08 AM.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

PP Conundrum BSBH Prospect
    I honestly think he should just get life and live his life in the shitter.

But then again, why waste space for a shithead like this?

I'm okay with the death penalty when it's this out of hand. Guy got a second chance and he ruined it for himself.

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth BSBH Prospect
    Lets see, news yesterday I read about:

Scumbag shoots dead cop and innocent man
    Two scumbags abduct and kill 12 year old girl for her bike
    Scumbag abducts his neighbor, makes her perform oral sex on him and then shoots her 4x

DEATH PENALTY PLEASE.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuhgeddaboudit View Post
    I honestly think he should just get life and live his life in the shitter.

But then again, why waste space for a shithead like this?

I'm okay with the death penalty when it's this out of hand. Guy got a second chance and he ruined it for himself.
    Keep him in jail for life is quite a lot of taxpayer money to keep him alive in a jail cell. If it would cost taxpayers less $$$ to give him the death penalty then by all means inject him.

The problem is that there are tons of appeals and the process takes so long. If you are 100% guilty, and all evidence points to you, then you should have an appeals process that takes only a couple of years, tops, not 10-15 years. Jails are crowded, and this is why these animals are getting out, so this will at least stop these savages from coming back out into society and committing these crimes again. These people arent reformed when they come out, they just have to behave while in prison, they have no remorse for what they do, and they dont try to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    Keep him in jail for life is quite a lot of taxpayer money to keep him alive in a jail cell. If it would cost taxpayers less $$$ to give him the death penalty then by all means inject him.

I forgot to add that was another problem with giving him life. Taxpayers get naughty with that stuff.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Death penalty should be reserved for those who rape, abuse, etc.

Case like this, cut off his arms, right left, and leave a tiny stump on his left leg. Then let him rot in a cell giving him cat food every day. Maybe show him pictures of his family every few months.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth BSBH Prospect
    Clear cut killings should result in quick death sentences.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    This is how I feel. I don't think that the death penalty is a deterrent any more than life without parole is. These people have broken minds that don't operate on the same wavelengths as the rest of us.

But logistically, why keep the guy alive and pay to support him if he has no chance of parole? Put him to death. He certainly isn't going to "suffer" in jail.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley View Post
    Ummm... that's exactly what he wants. He tried. Now, you grant him his last wish? Not in my country.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Quote Originally Posted by Parsley View Post
    This. Its not right that an animal that kills people can still have 3 meals everyday and see his family at least once a month while the poor victim and their family can never have any of this. These animals get to say goodbye to their families when the victims never get that chance.

The artist formerly known as Mr. Smith Junior Division
    For the most part, I have been for the death penalty. Rehabilitation only goes so far. There are too many cases like this where a heinous crime is committed and to me the only fair option is the death penalty. As with anything, it has to be case by case. There are those who can be rehabilitated, and those who cannot. I don't believe that every murder is equal.

In order for the death penalty to be given, I believe that there has to be a higher level of evidence presented so that the state is protected from wrongful conviction. As far as what the death penalty can be given for, I'd say heinous murder, murder of elected officials, police officers, correctional officers.
    Hidden Content

Did everything just taste purple for a second?

But if he dies, he has 2 options

1) Go to hell
    2) Turn into a cockroach in the afterlife

3) Be absolved of his sins and go to heaven.

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    The death penalty does not work. This has been proven, time and time again. Look at the state of Texas. They've had capital punishment since 1819. The number of murders, violent crimes, rape, etc. they have each year is absurdly high when you consider that capital punishment is supposed to "deter" that type of behavior.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/txcrime.htm

The death penalty is an archaic system that was designed to serve as the fulfillment of avenging someone's death for their family and friends. It DOES NOT, however, deter violent crime in any way, so what is the point of it when it often costs the state more to execute an individual than it does to house them in prison?

To me this is all part of the greater prison reform debate, and reform is something I'm very much in support of. The system does not work, because it's based on retribution, not rehabilitation.
    I don't see how that's possible. Let's say it costs $10 a day to feed him (which is being generous). That's $3650 a year. Times that by 20,30, 40 years. I've always heard this statement and I'm yet to understand how it works. Needle, pine box, shovel, done.

The artist formerly known as Mr. Smith Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    I don't see how that's possible. Let's say it costs $10 a day to feed him (which is being generous). That's $3650 a year. Times that by 20,30, 40 years. I've always heard this statement and I'm yet to understand how it works. Needle, pine box, shovel, done.
    This. While it seems a bit inhumane to bring up cost effectivity when it comes to someone's life, take into consideration that the crime committed is inhumane, and where possible the punishment should fit the crime. If beyond a reasonable doubt somebody murdered someone premeditatedly and/or without true remorse, they should be handed the death penalty.
    Hidden Content

Did everything just taste purple for a second?

The problem is in the appeals process, because of the court costs. This is why I think the appeals process should only go for the longest of 4-5 years. Make a separate court specifically for death sentence appeals, and it will speed up the process. I agree with you though, it would still be cheaper, because besides food costs, you have medical costs and all the other costs of housing them. I would still think it would save money over 50 years in prison.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    I'm all for the death penalty. I don't think we use it nearly enough. Here's how I would handle things. You can only get the death penatly if you're on your second strike. That is, you've committed and been found guilty of a violent crime in the past. If you are convicted of any violent crime, you lose a tiny bit of your freedom for the rest of your life in that we're going to put a tracking chip in you surgically. That way, if you commit a crime in the future, we're going to know for a certainty that you were there at the time. Of course, other evidence will have to prove guilt along with being there, but if you are then proven guilty of a second violent crime in a capital group (murder, rape, attempted murder) you are then executed. No appeals. Done within the week, get your shit in order.

If someone's first crime is a capital crime (murder, rape, attempted murder) then the maximum is life in prison without the possibility of parole. This allows for appeals.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Lost in this debate is the tragedy and the victims.

Officer Arthur Lopez killed was only 29 years old.

The bystander Raymond Facey was a 58 yr old father of 4 and new grandfather, and in fact had just pulled over to take a call so he wouldn't be driving and talking at the same time.

As much as I would like to see this criminal off the earth, let the demented coward rot away in jail. Death only gives him what he wants.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29552692.../#.UIgJrWkiHL4

"It's 10 times more expensive to kill them than to keep them alive," though most Americans believe the opposite, said Donald McCartin, a former California jurist known as "The Hanging Judge of Orange County" for sending nine men to death row.
    Death penalty trials are more expensive for several reasons: They often require extra lawyers; there are strict experience requirements for attorneys, leading to lengthy appellate waits while capable counsel is sought for the accused; security costs are higher, as well as costs for processing evidence — DNA testing, for example, is far more expensive than simple blood analyses.

After sentencing, prices continue to rise. It costs more to house death row inmates, who are held in segregated sections, in individual cells, with guards delivering everything from daily meals to toilet paper.

In California, home to the nation's biggest death row population at 667, it costs an extra $90,000 per inmate to imprison someone sentenced to death — an additional expense that totals more than $63.3 million annually, according to a 2008 study by the state's Commission on the Fair Administration of Justice.
    And that's just California.

The cost to kill is absurdly high because everyone here is operating under the idea that when a man is convicted, he's dragged out back and shot. He's not. He's then put into the system and goes through 15-20 years' worth of appeals and trial processes before he ever reaches the needle. In that time, he racks up an insane amount of cost of care, transportation, etc. as illustrated above.

The moment you get rid of that is the moment you open the flood gates to wrongful executions left-and-right.

It is NOT a deterrent — proven.
    It costs the state MUCH more to (attempt to) kill them — proven.

So why do it?

Again — this is an outdated, broken system designed from an archaic line of thinking to serve as the fulfillment of avenging someone's death for their family and friends.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast