Thread: Torts: Lockout "No Excuse"

In Vigneault, Veritas BSBH Prospect

Torts: Lockout "No Excuse"

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...WXCjEffrFX6CGL

“The one thing we have to make sure of as a franchise is that we do not allow this interruption to hurt our momentum,” Tortorella said. “We cannot use this as an excuse.

“With all the potential distractions last year, including opening in Europe, the Winter Classic, HBO with “24/7,” we sent a letter to our players over the summer [2011] telling them there would be no excuses,” he said. “That’s going to be the same message from Day 1 this year.

“We will not use this as an excuse. We’re better than that. We are not going to allow this to stop us from getting to where we want to go.”

Good ol' Torts.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Pain is the name of the game BSBH Legend
    I'd expect nothing less than that from him. But I also don't think there's anyone left on this team who would or even might use it as an excuse to come into the season opener out of shape, disinterested, out of fuel, etc. etc. At this point I think we've honestly rid ourselves of whatever was left of that mentality the last few years over the course of re-shaping the roster each season.

Regardless, it's the right philosophy to have.
    Hidden Content

“Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser.”
    - John Tortorella

Fur now BSBH Rookie
    I could easily see guys not being ready for the season. This is a John MOFO Tortorella team and system. Just being in shape, is out of shape. These guys will need to be on their game from the first practice. If there is a season, they'll have 2 weeks or practice and pre-season, then a shortened season. If you send out a group of winded guys in the first 10 games and start .500, you're in some deep shit. The shortened season will not allow guys to "play into game shape" effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by NosLliWhsoj View Post
    I could easily see guys not being ready for the season. This is a John MOFO Tortorella team and system. Just being in shape, is out of shape. These guys will need to be on their game from the first practice. If there is a season, they'll have 2 weeks or practice and pre-season, then a shortened season. If you send out a group of winded guys in the first 10 games and start .500, you're in some deep shit. The shortened season will not allow guys to "play into game shape" effectively.
    Especially the guys choosing not to play, and especially the veterans among them. My biggest concern would be for guys like Richards, Rupp, Halpern, etc.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Especially the guys choosing not to play, and especially the veterans among them. My biggest concern would be for guys like Richards, Rupp, Halpern, etc.
    I was just going to say the same thing. It's a very valid concern, IMO.

Btw, I work as a valet at a country club in Woodbury some nights, and I happened to bring down a car for someone last night and as I get out of the car and hand him his keys, I realize it's Bob Nystrom! One of his arms was in a sling. I said, "I've gotta ask: do you think we're going to have a season?" and he said "oh my, I sure hope so. I think we will but the clock is ticking for a full 82 game schedule." He also mentioned that his son, Eric (who plays for the Dallas Stars) is in agony over not being able to play NHL hockey. Very amicable guy, and definitely looks like he could still play, sans the injured arm, hehe.

Germanic Ranger Junior Division H-Dreamer's Avatar
    I really miss listening to Torts

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division

Ya mon. Just imagine if Gilroy ends up being in better shape than other 5/6 D-men pairings... then what? r u rdy 2 deal with that ? . [Shameless stirring ]
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Rhommy View Post
    Gotta love it. Best hockey news yet sin e beginning of lockout.

Quote Originally Posted by Respecttheblue View Post
    Ya mon. Just imagine if Gilroy ends up being in better shape than other 5/6 D-men pairings... then what? r u rdy 2 deal with that ? . [Shameless stirring ]
    Honestly, as much as I hated Girlroy, if (s)he's the most conditioned defenseman and actually makes the team, then so be it. I'm big on merit.

Honestly, as much as I hated Girlroy, if (s)he's the most conditioned defenseman and actually makes the team, then so be it. I'm big on merit.
    Duly noted
    I think I saw a pig fly, followed by a LIPA truck, followed by an Optimum truck!

It would be awesome if Gilroy shows up with a chip on his shoulder, ready to really fight for a spot. He's got some talent, for sure. IMO, his biggest problem has been a lack of urgency with the puck, which allows hesitation and tentative decision making to creep into his game. If he could play a more decisive, think-less, skate-and-move-the-puck-more game, he could prove to be a very good signing. However, more likely is that he'll be in the AHL as an injury reserve call-up. Kinda hard to believe this guy was a Hobey Baker winner. Although, he was like the oldest player in the NCAA when he won it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretzky View Post
    It would be awesome if Gilroy shows up with a chip on his shoulder, ready to really fight for a spot. He's got some talent, for sure. IMO, his biggest problem has been a lack of urgency with the puck, which allows hesitation and tentative decision making to creep into his game. If he could play a more decisive, think-less, skate-and-move-the-puck-more game, he could prove to be a very good signing. However, more likely is that he'll be in the AHL as an injury reserve call-up. Kinda hard to believe this guy was a Hobey Baker winner. Although, he was like the oldest player in the NCAA when he won it.
    That "lack of urgency" is inherent in his personality. It's not something he can change. You can't change not being a "naturally" violent person, or "naturally" aggressive one. He is "naturally" passive, and that comes off blatantly in his game, where his instincts tell him to avoid contact, not to make it.

I doubt he's going to find the key to unlock his own genetic code, but I'm certainly open to being proven wrong.

That "lack of urgency" is inherent in his personality. It's not something he can change. You can't change not being a "naturally" violent person, or "naturally" aggressive one. He is "naturally" passive, and that comes off blatantly in his game, where his instincts tell him to avoid contact, not to make it.

I doubt he's going to find the key to unlock his own genetic code, but I'm certainly open to being proven wrong.
    Absolutely. It's a huge case of wishful thinking on my part. Much better chance that Sauer gets back to 100% at some point this season than Gilroy fixing his major and like you said, inherent flaw.

Absolutely. It's a huge case of wishful thinking on my part. Much better chance that Sauer gets back to 100% at some point this season than Gilroy fixing his major and like you said, inherent flaw.
    Then again, confidence can go a long way to masking deficiencies in the game of a player. Look no further than Marek Malík for evidence of that.

Ultimately, the reality of Gilroy's situation is that he's likely to be waived and sent down with the hopes that he'll continue to work on his game, but at the end of the day I him as much more of a Brian Fahey than I do even a Marc-Andre Bergeron.

Then again, confidence can go a long way to masking deficiencies in the game of a player. Look no further than Marek Malík for evidence of that.

Ultimately, the reality of Gilroy's situation is that he's likely to be waived and sent down with the hopes that he'll continue to work on his game, but at the end of the day I him as much more of a Brian Fahey than I do even a Marc-Andre Bergeron.
    Yup.

At least Bergeron's one dimension can be readily utilized (his big slapshot and PP point play) unlike Gilroy's one dimension (fast and fluid skating) which is mostly useless if you don't have the vision, passing ability, or shot to make your skating a threat / make it count.

Yup.

At least Bergeron's one dimension can be readily utilized (his big slapshot and PP point play) unlike Gilroy's one dimension (fast and fluid skating) which is mostly useless if you don't have the vision, passing ability, or shot to make your skating a threat / make it count.
    The only comparable I can think of, who sorta fits the same bill, is a guy like Chris Campoli.

Fur now BSBH Rookie
    As I've said forever... The kid couldn't make his college team as a forward, so he shifted to D.

Just sayin.