Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 382

Thread: The Grub Hub

  1. #341
    Sighing Dutchman BSBH Prospect
    Jules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    19,057
    Rep Power
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I don't get why people have such an issue with gas. IMO it's snobbery at its finest. Like if you're using gas you're not "reallly" grilling.

    Food hipsters!
    It's not snobbery if the flavor is really a big deal. Some gas grills are fine, but I've had burgers from gas grills that provided nothing of the flavors that make grilling better than frying or cooking it in a pan. There's a certain taste to well-executed charcoal grilling that I simply enjoy more.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    Hidden Content

  2. #342
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    It's not snobbery if the flavor is really a big deal. Some gas grills are fine, but I've had burgers from gas grills that provided nothing of the flavors that make grilling better than frying or cooking it in a pan. There's a certain taste to well-executed charcoal grilling that I simply enjoy more.
    Wasn't really talking to you as much as Dunny.

    If you season your food well enough, there's not really a huge difference. I have a charcoal Weber and a gas Weber, I don't taste too much of a difference. Not to say there isn't one... Just to say it's not a deal breaker or anything to make a big deal over.

    To cook 2 burgers and grill some veggies for me and my wife, it's just a pain in the ass to light coals, wait for them to get to heat, etc. It's just not worth it.

    Where it's really worth it are things like ribs. I usually cook the ribs on the charcoal grill and use the gas for everything else. But that's just for the extra cooking real estate.

  3. #343
    Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,745
    Rep Power
    188
    I would stick to Gas for what you're talking about, and I have a smaller Gas Weber for my wife basically. I get that, and it makes sense.

    If I'm doing something beyond the basic though, it's gotta be charcoal. The taste it just better. Period. Gas add nothing to the equation beyond convenience. Any Weber Kettle is also a thousand times more versatile than a gas BBQ for a fraction of the price.
    I'm happy to stand there with a Bud Light, a dart, and my wife's hairdryer and get that puppy to 700 degrees in 15 minutes

    I did a lot of great things on a gas grill but I guess charcoal is a new adventure.

  4. #344
    (╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻ Junior Division
    Keirik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,287
    Rep Power
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Who's been grilling?

    I bought a Weber Performer to go with my new deck.

    If you love charcoal grilling (and you should) but hate getting it going (you shouldn't) then this is the BBQ for you. It's probably the best, most versatile, longest lasting BBQ on earth and it's cheaper than the POS gas grills at Wal Mart.
    Have the exact same grill. I went with the Copper one.

  5. #345
    (╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻ Junior Division
    Keirik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,287
    Rep Power
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Wasn't really talking to you as much as Dunny.

    If you season your food well enough, there's not really a huge difference. I have a charcoal Weber and a gas Weber, I don't taste too much of a difference. Not to say there isn't one... Just to say it's not a deal breaker or anything to make a big deal over.

    To cook 2 burgers and grill some veggies for me and my wife, it's just a pain in the ass to light coals, wait for them to get to heat, etc. It's just not worth it.

    Where it's really worth it are things like ribs. I usually cook the ribs on the charcoal grill and use the gas for everything else. But that's just for the extra cooking real estate.
    To be honest, i personally think it takes about as much time for gas as it does for charcoal if you are just doing simple things like burgers and dogs. You get the briquettes for the easier stuff and the hardwood for longer cooks. A charcoal chimney gets the fire going quick on charcoal, wait 10 minutes which is near the time it take for a gas grill to heat up. Also the charcoal burns much hotter when necessary and you can smoke on a charcoal kettle very easy.

  6. #346
    Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,745
    Rep Power
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    Have the exact same grill. I went with the Copper one.
    I wanted the Copper one but I live in Canada.

  7. #347
    (╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻ Junior Division
    Keirik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,287
    Rep Power
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    I wanted the Copper one but I live in Canada.
    Finally we win for more than just baseball

    What are you using btw? Briquettes or lump charcoal? For the lump, i'd go Royal Oak.


    That's the other beauty of charcoal. So many different types of stuff to use that all yields different results. Also you might want to check out this place for different techniques and recipes. http://tvwbb.com/forum.php

  8. #348
    Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,745
    Rep Power
    188
    I have a bag of Royal Oak, found a few rocks and pieces of wood that were clearly not uhhh.. carbonized yet. I dunno if I had a cheaper bag though as it's blue in colour.

    To re-iterate Pete's view of my snootiness I've been using mainly BGE charcoal. But I'd like to get my hands on some Kingsford competition briquettes. For some reason I can't find them around here.

    And I will absolutely check that site out, thanks.

  9. #349
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    To be honest, i personally think it takes about as much time for gas as it does for charcoal if you are just doing simple things like burgers and dogs. You get the briquettes for the easier stuff and the hardwood for longer cooks. A charcoal chimney gets the fire going quick on charcoal, wait 10 minutes which is near the time it take for a gas grill to heat up. Also the charcoal burns much hotter when necessary and you can smoke on a charcoal kettle very easy.
    But it's just not worth the prep time. Turn a dial? Or stack charcoal, get it lit, get it hot, spread it...for 2 burgers? Not worth it, IMO. My grill gets hot pretty quick. I'd rather just push an ignition button than deal with coal.

    But, for parties, different story.

  10. #350
    Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,745
    Rep Power
    188
    Well that's the advantage of the Weber Performer. They've thought all that out, so now you use propane to light two convenient little baskets that hold your charcoal, walk away and come back in 10 minutes, juts like a gas grill.

  11. #351
    (╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻ Junior Division
    Keirik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,287
    Rep Power
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    But it's just not worth the prep time. Turn a dial? Or stack charcoal, get it lit, get it hot, spread it...for 2 burgers? Not worth it, IMO. My grill gets hot pretty quick. I'd rather just push an ignition button than deal with coal.

    But, for parties, different story.
    I hear ya, but these days the Weber I have at least has a propane lighter and i just find it takes 10 minutes tops. As dunny said, there are baskets already that come with it you can have the briquettes in them so its at most a 10 minute prep for a better flavor.

  12. #352
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Well that's the advantage of the Weber Performer. They've thought all that out, so now you use propane to light two convenient little baskets that hold your charcoal, walk away and come back in 10 minutes, juts like a gas grill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    I hear ya, but these days the Weber I have at least has a propane lighter and i just find it takes 10 minutes tops. As dunny said, there are baskets already that come with it you can have the briquettes in them so its at most a 10 minute prep for a better flavor.
    Ah, yea thats super convenient.

    But again, I never really was disappointed in the flavor off my gas grill and I've eaten off both.

    But I don't smoke anything or use special coals. Just normal Kingston briquettes.

  13. #353
    (╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻ Junior Division
    Keirik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,287
    Rep Power
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    I have a bag of Royal Oak, found a few rocks and pieces of wood that were clearly not uhhh.. carbonized yet. I dunno if I had a cheaper bag though as it's blue in colour.

    To re-iterate Pete's view of my snootiness I've been using mainly BGE charcoal. But I'd like to get my hands on some Kingsford competition briquettes. For some reason I can't find them around here.

    And I will absolutely check that site out, thanks.
    Those are the briquettes I use. Very readily available here though so I think i've mostly used those when not using lump. They definitely are good to use when doing a quick cook. Very easy, get very hot, and don't really give off any chemical taste whatsoever.
    Weird that you had a bad experience with the Royal Oak. They are pretty highly rated in the bbq community but I don't know if that blue bag is different. Wait til you start getting into smoking with the grill. Minion method, mastering keeping it at a low and slow temp and man the food comes out good lol. Even smoked bbq wings are fantastic

  14. #354
    (╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻ Junior Division
    Keirik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,287
    Rep Power
    108
    Anyone tried the baking powder technique for grilled or baked chicken wings? Supposed to make them come out very crispy and "fried like" without the oil and fat associated.

  15. #355
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Trying something new with ribs.

    Coffee rub overnight, rinse off.

    Boil for 20 minutes in vanilla coke zero.

    Cook through low and slow with some Stubbs BBQ.

  16. #356
    Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,745
    Rep Power
    188
    Jesus. Par boiled in Coke Zero? If it's works I'll try it.

  17. #357
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Jesus. Par boiled in Coke Zero? If it's works I'll try it.
    I did it in Dr. Pepper last year. They were awesome.

    This year I added the coffee rub in on an idea from another recipe for a pork tenderloin. I decided to go with Dr. Pepper cherry instead of the vanilla Coke.

    Keep you posted.

  18. #358
    \_(ツ)_/ BSBH Prospect
    Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,200
    Rep Power
    191
    Has anyone been to Upland? Place is awesome
    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

    Regards,

    Patrick Bateman

    Sent from my iPhone

  19. #359
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Jesus. Par boiled in Coke Zero? If it's works I'll try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I did it in Dr. Pepper last year. They were awesome.

    This year I added the coffee rub in on an idea from another recipe for a pork tenderloin. I decided to go with Dr. Pepper cherry instead of the vanilla Coke.

    Keep you posted.
    Coffee rub isn't worth it, better to rub with salt.

    But the boiling in Dr. Pepper? Yea. Do that.

  20. #360
    Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,745
    Rep Power
    188
    I agreed to do the Turkey for Thanksgiving this year (Canadian), going to use my Weber, it's a pretty intimidating task so I'm going to do a total practice round this weekend.

    Nothing gets me as excited, and then as short, curt, surly, truculent as cooking. Such a love/hate thing.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •