• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Soccer Talk Thread

Jules

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the NYCFC season opener at Yankee Stadium and had a terrific time. Yeah, the way the field is set up is weird and we sat behind home plate, which is the furthest away from the field, but a terrific family atmosphere and a more diverse crowd than I'm used to in Europe. It was cool.

Also, to see Andrea Pirlo play... :o

• 1 month later...

With arsenal done in the title hopes, I'm actually super happy Leicester are going to take it. Such an incredible story and Ranieri is a miracle worker. I like that there's enough

Key in the EPL now where smaller clubs can hold on to top talent. Makes it much more competitive. Unfortunately, this tends to make it tougher for English teams in Europe.

Same here because I root for Man City, but this is an amazing thing to watch the Foxes go from the doorsteps of relegation to now near champions.

I kind of equate this to MLB where for years it was basically the Yankees and Red Sox and now its a league where the smaller clubs are thriving, like in the EPL where for the last 20 years it was pretty much just ManU, Arsenal, and Chelsea.

Yea I don't know how they will fair in the Champions league and yes the competitive balance has hurt the English teams in Europe, but still a great story

Leicester play Man Utd at Old Trafford on Sunday, if they win, they win the title. They play without Vardy who is suspended but then again, they beat Swansea 4-0 without him last week.

In other news, Man City held Real Madrid 0-0 in the Champions League, but now have to win at the Bernabau to make the final.

Liverpool lost 1-0 to Villareal in the Europa League, I reckon they have a good chance to go through as Villareal will have to go to Anfield with only a one goal lead. Anfield on a European night is very, very special.

Leicester's story is a lesson for every athlete. Teamwork and hard work are clearly more important than anything else. Not to mention, a little bit of luck. Congrats to the greatest sports story ever told. Leicester Leicester Leicester!

All the lies?

"Women soccer players should get as much money as men because we're #1 and just as passionate!! The men are only #30, why should they get paid more?"

The economic realities apparently mean nothing, nor does the fact that they aren't even close to being good at their craft compared to men.

If I'm the #1 ditch digger in the world I'm not going to get the same compensation as the #30 hedge fund manager. That's just an economic reality.

Women's and Men's soccer aren't the same industry. Two different things. If they want to get paid the same then what they are asking for is for Men's soccer to subsidize them.

The Daily Show has become absolute garbage since Stewart left.

All the lies?

"Women soccer players should get as much money as men because we're #1 and just as passionate!! The men are only #30, why should they get paid more?"

The economic realities apparently mean nothing, nor does the fact that they aren't even close to being good at their craft compared to men.

If I'm the #1 ditch digger in the world I'm not going to get the same compensation as the #30 hedge fund manager. That's just an economic reality.

Women's and Men's soccer aren't the same industry. Two different things. If they want to get paid the same then what they are asking for is for Men's soccer to subsidize them.

The Daily Show has become absolute garbage since Stewart left.

That's not even the gripe. It's that systematically they are putting into the system more than the men and they should be getting a larger share.

After expenses, the women turned a profit of $6.6 million last year. The men? Their profit was just under $2 million. Looking ahead, U.S. Soccer?s 2017 budget predicts that trend will be repeated: Expecting another Olympic gold medal, and another victory tour, the federation has forecast a profit of more than $5 million for the women?s team in the next fiscal year (on $17.5 million in revenue).

The men? U.S. Soccer figures they will lose about $1 million this year (on only $9 million in revenue).

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/04/22/sports/soccer/usmnt-uswnt-soccer-equal-pay.html?referer=

If they turned a bigger profit than the men, why don't they have a gripe for a bigger payout?

And while Men's soccer and Women's soccer are two different things, the women set a record for most watched televised match in US history which says to me that there are enough people to care even if it is considered to be a lesser sport.

I'm not saying they are going to be paid the same exact amount, but they deserve a lot more than they are currently receiving.