• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Soccer Talk Thread

Jules

German team just looked uninspired, granted France plays a great defensive game, taking away all passing lanes and spaces, but still no real chances all game.

Varane was an absolute wall.

This is a different German team than the past, though. I'm so used to seeing Gotze and Schewinsteiger and Ozil and Khedira and Gomez and what have you, then you consider that Muller and Hummels and Kroos and Neuer are for all intents and purposes in the twilights of their careers. It's just a massive swing over the last four years, especially in the midfield.

Varane was an absolute wall.

This is a different German team than the past, though. I'm so used to seeing Gotze and Schewinsteiger and Ozil and Khedira and Gomez and what have you, then you consider that Muller and Hummels and Kroos and Neuer are for all intents and purposes in the twilights of their careers. It's just a massive swing over the last four years, especially in the midfield.

Not just the players, the Coach is in his twilight days as well and quite frankly should have retired 5 years ago.

Team and the whole structure of the DFB desperately needs some fresh ideas. Can't do much about the latter, with all the scandals and leadership changes, so a new Coach has to do.

Arsenal are on track to sign Ben White for 50mil pounds. Quite a hefty fee but he counts as homegrown and has some really good ball playing skills we'll miss without Luiz. We desperately need one or two first team midfielders in as well, especially if Xhaka is off to Roma. I could see us keeping Willock this season and rotating him in. We're also in on a young 21-year old named Lokonga, who I've never heard of until this summer. Not sure how ready he is for the Premier League.

Manchester United finally signs Jaden Sancho, pending a medical. Huge for them. Curious what it means for Greenwood. Does he become a squad/rotation player for UCL/Cup ties?

I have to say, I don’t think it’s a great signing. I mean he will help but only as an extension of what they already have. Now, if they get a defensive workhorse for midfield and a better compliment at center back than Lindleof, then sure. They will make the chase closer for the title and do better in Europe. Still, Sancho doesn’t fix their problems at all and as you said, Greenwood basically plays the same position and style already.

I have to say, I don’t think it’s a great signing. I mean he will help but only as an extension of what they already have. Now, if they get a defensive workhorse for midfield and a better compliment at center back than Lindleof, then sure. They will make the chase closer for the title and do better in Europe. Still, Sancho doesn’t fix their problems at all and as you said, Greenwood basically plays the same position and style already.

I'm curious how valid the Varane to United rumors are. That would certainly make a menacing pair with Maguire.

• 4 weeks later...
Now THAT would be a very good move.

Looks like you are getting your wish Keirik! Fee agreed subject to terms and a medical.

Would be a great signing and really changes the outlook for the season if Ole can figure out his best team and formation. Makes U tied much better overnight, plus add Sancho into the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like you are getting your wish Keirik! Fee agreed subject to terms and a medical.

Would be a great signing and really changes the outlook for the season if Ole can figure out his best team and formation. Makes U tied much better overnight, plus add Sancho into the mix.

I know! Pretty excited. Varane is the perfect move. He will make Maguire a better player especially after Harry came off a great Euro. Lindleof just wasn’t a good partner at all. I think the last move they need to do is figure out if Pogba really wants to be in Manchester. Last year of his deal and I’m tired of his lack of dedication and always rumors of him leaving. Also thry need to find a suitor for De Gea. You can’t have him and Henderson forever at their wages.

Btw I forget. What club do you support?

I know! Pretty excited. Varane is the perfect move. He will make Maguire a better player especially after Harry came off a great Euro. Lindleof just wasn’t a good partner at all. I think the last move they need to do is figure out if Pogba really wants to be in Manchester. Last year of his deal and I’m tired of his lack of dedication and always rumors of him leaving. Also thry need to find a suitor for De Gea. You can’t have him and Henderson forever at their wages.

Btw I forget. What club do you support?

All valid points. Pogba is the most frustrating player in world football. Has all the tools to be Zidane and Vieira in one. Tbh I’d sell him given the opportunity and replace with somebody like Phillips at Leeds perhaps (off the top of my head). De Gea is likely gone as you can’t justify him on the bench with that salary, and Lindelof is average at best. United have a great 11 but too many players not good enough (James, Jones, Bailly, Lindelof, Fred etc).

Sadly, I’m a Blackburn Rovers fan [emoji17] Yes, the only one. Gonna struggle this season, no money and not signed a player yet! Plus we are gonna lose our top scorer to an EPL team (Southampton or Watford).

United with Sancho and Varane. I don't know if they're on City's level yet (especially depending on if City get Grealish/Kane) but they're looking really good this year.

Arsenal signed...Ben White. Yay?

Not there yet but certainly better. City just have much better depth, they essentially have two staring XI’s. Untied get an injury or two and they are much weaker. I would argue Chelsea and Liverpool will challenge more this year. Depends on injuries and Pogba really (same as previous seasons).

I mean, Ben White is a decent signing, you needed a centre back badly and you aren’t in Europe so attracting the best is gonna be tough. I still think Arteta can work out but you need to get back to being a big club which you aren’t right now. Keeping Smith Rowe was big, that kid is really good. Build around him, Saka and Tierney. Interesting to see how the Anderlecht kid does to, great youth system out there and recommended by Kompany. I also think not playing meaningless games midweek in the Mickey Mouse Europa league will help.

On a side note, I have Toronto FC season tickets just to get a bit of home out here, and went to my first game in like 18 months last week due to the pandemic. Was so good to get back and catch a live game and a few beers with my buddy (also a Gooner). Shame they suck and the beers are $18 but still lmao.

All valid points. Pogba is the most frustrating player in world football. Has all the tools to be Zidane and Vieira in one. Tbh I’d sell him given the opportunity and replace with somebody like Phillips at Leeds perhaps (off the top of my head). De Gea is likely gone as you can’t justify him on the bench with that salary, and Lindelof is average at best. United have a great 11 but too many players not good enough (James, Jones, Bailly, Lindelof, Fred etc).

Sadly, I’m a Blackburn Rovers fan [emoji17] Yes, the only one. Gonna struggle this season, no money and not signed a player yet! Plus we are gonna lose our top scorer to an EPL team (Southampton or Watford).

Ah Blackburn. Believe I had a Shearer Rovers poster way back in the day somewhere.

Not there yet but certainly better. City just have much better depth, they essentially have two staring XI’s. Untied get an injury or two and they are much weaker. I would argue Chelsea and Liverpool will challenge more this year. Depends on injuries and Pogba really (same as previous seasons).

I mean, Ben White is a decent signing, you needed a centre back badly and you aren’t in Europe so attracting the best is gonna be tough. I still think Arteta can work out but you need to get back to being a big club which you aren’t right now. Keeping Smith Rowe was big, that kid is really good. Build around him, Saka and Tierney. Interesting to see how the Anderlecht kid does to, great youth system out there and recommended by Kompany. I also think not playing meaningless games midweek in the Mickey Mouse Europa league will help.

United with Sancho and Varane. I don't know if they're on City's level yet (especially depending on if City get Grealish/Kane) but they're looking really good this year.

Arsenal signed...Ben White. Yay?

Yeah, United still are behind City but you never know. They really are Champions League or bust at this point anyway. Chelsea I can’t decide if overachieved after sacking Lampard or if they just are that good. Liverpool will be much better this year. All this hopefully means more teams take points away from City keeping the top 4 all closer together. Interesting year this will be.

Would you believe me if I told you my current FIFA21 manager career is of Blackburn Rovers, I got promoted into the PL in my 2nd season, and we're a solid midseason team? Adam Armstrong, Ben Brereton and Lewis Travis being the backbone of my team :D

Would you believe me if I told you my current FIFA21 manager career is of Blackburn Rovers, I got promoted into the PL in my 2nd season, and we're a solid midseason team? Adam Armstrong, Ben Brereton and Lewis Travis being the backbone of my team :D

Without Armstrong and Brereton we have nothing to offer, other than maybe Dack. But fair play!!!

Yeah, United still are behind City but you never know. They really are Champions League or bust at this point anyway. Chelsea I can’t decide if overachieved after sacking Lampard or if they just are that good. Liverpool will be much better this year. All this hopefully means more teams take points away from City keeping the top 4 all closer together. Interesting year this will be.

Yup. Will be a more competitive season, agree re Chelsea and Liverpool. Makes for an interesting season. Don’t forget, City still don’t have a striker (other than Jesus who is hit and miss).

Yup. Will be a more competitive season, agree re Chelsea and Liverpool. Makes for an interesting season. Don’t forget, City still don’t have a striker (other than Jesus who is hit and miss).

I’d be shocked if they don’t get Kane. I’m not positive he’s a great fit with their style though but I’m sure KDB could pick out Harry for some goals with crosses