Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NASA Mars Rover 'Curiosity' Discussion

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

NASA Mars Rover 'Curiosity' Discussion

Resurrecting lost thread.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Neil deGrasse Tyson
    @neiltyson
    Enough on Mars. Must get back to making Earth hotter, cutting science budgets & killing each other over religious differences
    But, seriously, folks. Congrats to the entire Mars Science Laboratory JPL team. It's truly a feat of engineering and science, no matter how you feel about space exploration.
    Last edited by Morphinity; 08-08-2012 at 08:43 PM.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Neil deGrasse Tyson is one of my favorite frequent panel members on Real Time.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Neil deGrasse Tyson is one of my favorite frequent panel members on Real Time.
    He's a truly brilliant mind. It's great that he's doing an update to Carl Sagan's Cosmos and his show "Star Talk" is phenomenal.

Jon Stewart referred to him as "the Walter Cronkite of science" which is very appropriate, I think.

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth Junior Division
    So...........do I get rep for not posting any more in this thread

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    The pictures coming back really are amazing. Have you guys seen the guy at NASA that has a different haircut for every mission? He has a huge online following, and for this mission, he had a Mohawk. I don't know his name but caught a piece on him on the news. The control room guys decide on his haircut for each big mission.

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...190419541.html

Space junkies try to explain mysterious image in photo from Mars rover

A mysterious blotch that appeared along the horizon in a photo from the surface of Mars stirred speculation about what it might be, as two hours later it was gone.

One image from the Curiosity rover as it landed on the fourth planet from the sun showed a "faint but distinctive" image on the horizon, the Los Angeles Times reported. However, a subsequent batch of images sent from the unmanned rover two hours later showed no trace of the blotch.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Here's their photograllery for any who are interested:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ms...dexEvents.html

You can download the images in different sizes on the bottom right.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

PP Conundrum BSBH Prospect

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Check this out on twitter, its pretty funny.
    @SarcasticRover

Here are some of the tweets:

Hey NASA? I released all those mice you sent up with me, but they just sort of died… how was that a science anyway? PLEASE ADVISE.
    Just everyone please STOP TALKING ABOUT SCIENCE! Don't you understand… that's what she blinded me with.
    Got a song from Les Misérables stuck in my head and now I know what drove HAL to insanity's warm embrace! ON MY OWN
    HEY EVERYONE! Hope you kids have fun writing shitty memes on my HI-RES PICS! After all, THAT'S WHAT I'M HERE FOR!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ BSBH Prospect
    Even the rover thinks image macros are memes. Thought it was supposed to be smart
    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Regards,

Patrick Bateman

Sent from my iPhone

Mia San Mia BSBH Prospect

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Curio has been testing its equips. I think the testing is done this week or next week... then a rest period before some serious exploration is done.

They did show that it left tracks on the surface, saying it was "huge". Why is that important?

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by NosLliWhsoj View Post
    Curio has been testing its equips. I think the testing is done this week or next week... then a rest period before some serious exploration is done.

They did show that it left tracks on the surface, saying it was "huge". Why is that important?
    I'm guessing that they can use the pictures to ensure that everything is in working order, based on turning radius, no irregularities in the tracks, etc.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

In Vigneault, Veritas BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by NosLliWhsoj View Post

It's a pretty impressive feat to remote-operate a drone from 155 million miles away, man. The fact that it has its faculties, that all works, I guess - it moves, it operates, it can fire its laser after a landing of that impact - hey, that's awesome.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    I guess I didn't say that correctly... they are saying that leaving tracks on the surface was 'monumental'

Who's "they" and where are "they" saying that?

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    NASA released a bunch of self-shot HD pics
    Who doesnt love a good selfshot?

I dont understand this one -

Josh,

The specific coin, provided by MAHLI's principal investigator, Ken Edgett, is a 1909 "VDB" penny. That was the first year Lincoln pennies were minted and the centennial of Abraham Lincoln's birth. The VDB refers to the initials of the coin's designer, Victor D. Brenner, which are on the reverse side. Brenner based the coin's low-relief portrait of Lincoln on a photograph taken Feb. 9, 1864, by Anthony Berger in the Washington, D.C. studio of Mathew Brady.
    http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA16131

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ms...l20130312.html

NASA Rover Finds Conditions Once Suited for Ancient Life on Mars

An analysis of a rock sample collected by NASA's Curiosity rover shows ancient Mars could have supported living microbes.

Scientists identified sulfur, nitrogen, hydrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and carbon -- some of the key chemical ingredients for life -- in the powder Curiosity drilled out of a sedimentary rock near an ancient stream bed in Gale Crater on the Red Planet last month.

"A fundamental question for this mission is whether Mars could have supported a habitable environment," said Michael Meyer, lead scientist for NASA's Mars Exploration Program at the agency's headquarters in Washington. "From what we know now, the answer is yes."
    Major Gases Released from Drilled Samples of the "John Klein" Rock

Chlorinated Forms of Methane at "John Klein" Site

Studying Habitability in Ancient Martian Environments

An Earth Analog to Mars' Yellowknife Bay

Pretty exciting discovery!

And from what I've read about those chlorinated methane samples, that could be evidence of current microbial life there right now or in the very recent past, but they're not about to actually say anything about that since it's only speculation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast