• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ever Think About Immortality?

Fuhgeddaboudit

Then you better live until 2045.

Immortality is something all of us have thought of, but nobody really takes seriously. A 31-year-old Russian man named Dmitry Itskov wants you to seriously consider the possibility of living forever, and perhaps even plan on being able to do so by 2045. His plan, called simply "The 2045 Initiative," will sound familiar if you've seen the James Camera blockbuster "Avatar" ? and he just needs a few billion dollars to make it a reality.

Read more:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/live-until-2045-may-never-fear-death-014658666.html

Discuss - economics, society, etc.

I don't think immortality is possible simply due to the increase in odds of an accidental death as you get older. I mean sure you can live to 150 but all it takes is one little slip.

Just need to figure out how to harness enegy of the human body.

"Energy is neither created nor destroyed. It merely changes in form."

Wow, that would be incredibly boring. Almost all of our joy comes from realizing that a moment is so much better than all others and it's fleeting. If there are infinite moments, there would be no joy, only tedium.

In an avatar world?

Without death, life has no meaning. As an avatar, what would be the point of existing? To experience? To experience what? There would be no motivation to create because there would be no system of reward. We'd all go crazy and I don't think it would even take that long.

My great grandmother died days before my brother was born. I will never forget how she described it to me.

She told me that she had a long life and that her time was done here and that it was her time to go to make room in the world for my brother to come into it. I was 7 at the time so it was tough to understand but life has a natural progression of things.

I don't want to live forever because like Dave said above, moments lose their meaning and then we become tedious. There needs to be a balance for without the bad we can't enjoy the good and vice versa.

My wife's grandmother is 93 years old. Every once in a while, I'd go over to her house just to say hi and hang out for a bit because she can't get around by herself anymore and has a live in nurse. Even before she had the live in nurse, I'd drive her to the hair salon every saturday. That was her day out for the week. What I'm getting at is since I've know her, every day, week, month is this same for her. I've had her tell me on multiple occasions that she is so bored of life and is ready to go. She has said something along the lines of "I wish God would take me already." It's very weird to hear, but that's all I wish for in life. I wish I can live a healthy and fulfilling life. She has seen her kids, grandkids, and great grandkids grow up. She has nothing left in her life that she needs to see or accomplish. The world continues to become a less desirable place to live anyway. Who wants to be immortal? Like I said, I want to get to the point in my life where I can look back and say "Ok, I'm ready."

My wife's grandmother is 93 years old. Every once in a while, I'd go over to her house just to say hi and hang out for a bit because she can't get around by herself anymore and has a live in nurse. Even before she had the live in nurse, I'd drive her to the hair salon every saturday. That was her day out for the week. What I'm getting at is since I've know her, every day, week, month is this same for her. I've had her tell me on multiple occasions that she is so bored of life and is ready to go. She has said something along the lines of "I wish God would take me already." It's very weird to hear, but that's all I wish for in life. I wish I can live a healthy and fulfilling life. She has seen her kids, grandkids, and great grandkids grow up. She has nothing left in her life that she needs to see or accomplish. The world continues to become a less desirable place to live anyway. Who wants to be immortal? Like I said, I want to get to the point in my life where I can look back and say "Ok, I'm ready."

My grandma is in her late 80's and although she has never really come out and said that you can sort of tell from the way she speaks about stuff that she feels the same way. Its really sad but at the same time I kind of understand it.

Archived