• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

BSBH Home/Apartment Improvements Thread

Parsley

Figured there must be some handymen that post on here who would be good to turn to for advice on fixing up our homes/apts.

Feel free to discuss problems/upcoming projects, etc. here.

------

I'll start....

We are looking to get our roof replaced in the upcoming months, along with about a dozen double hung windows. In addition, we are looking to replace our old aluminum siding with vinyl.

We've had a few estimates already and the estimates have been all over the place. I knew this process would be filled with plenty of......:banghead::wtf::confused:

Anyone here have recent work done on there homes relating to any of the above?

My father has owned a window manufacturing business for nearly 40 years... And also has dealt vinyl siding for about the same time. If you have questions lemme know and I can ask him. :)

Sweet. I'll PM you a few general questions to ask him.

Thus far, of the 3 main things.....Roof/Siding/Window Replacement.......the most diverse estimates have come toward window replacement. Since, in my case all the windows being replaced are basic double hung windows, I'm amazed to see the varied prices being thrown my way. Obviously it has to do with the brand of window, and how much the installer will charge per window. Seems like a few places are trying to upsell me high-end double hung windows when I (and they know this) am just looking for a solid (not cheap) replacement.

Just had my bathroom gutted and totally renovated. Finishing touches are being made today/tomorrow. Took 3 weeks, and lots of $$$$$.

In the last year, I had the hallway, stairs, baby room floors sanded and refinished. Baby room, Master bedroom, hallways painted. New blinds in the kitchen, dining room, living room and baby room. Roof was fixed (missing shingles).

Now I wish I could get my basement done but cant afford it.

Just had my bathroom gutted and totally renovated. Finishing touches are being made today/tomorrow. Took 3 weeks, and lots of $$$$$.

In the last year, I had the hallway, stairs, baby room floors sanded and refinished. Baby room, Master bedroom, hallways painted. New blinds in the kitchen, dining room, living room and baby room. Roof was fixed (missing shingles).

Now I wish I could get my basement done but cant afford it.

Damn! That's alot of work! Bet it looks nice though.

Damn! That's alot of work! Bet it looks nice though.

Yeah with the new baby we had to get the baby room fixed up so one thing led to another. Bathroom HAD to get re-done, we didnt have a working tub, mold build up, it was a very old bathroom so it was time to have it renovated.

When I have the money to do renovations here, I plan on asking people that have had work done on their house. Can't go wrong with a referral from family/friends. Unfortunately in that business you get a lot of sketchballs that make you pay for materials up front and then you never hear from them again. If they can't pay for materials up front, they obviously aren't making money. If they aren't making money, they probably aren't any good. That's the way I look at it at least.

When I have the money to do renovations here, I plan on asking people that have had work done on their house. Can't go wrong with a referral from family/friends. Unfortunately in that business you get a lot of sketchballs that make you pay for materials up front and then you never hear from them again. If they can't pay for materials up front, they obviously aren't making money. If they aren't making money, they probably aren't any good. That's the way I look at it at least.

Yeah, the shady side of the home improvement business can lead to added stress. More times than not, I lean toward bigger name (reputable) companies, but that is also likely to lead to a higher overall price for install, and sometime products.

Yeah, the shady side of the home improvement business can lead to added stress. More times than not, I lean toward bigger name (reputable) companies, but that is also likely to lead to a higher overall price for install, and sometime products.

Isn't it worth it though? Rather than having to call Mike Holmes afterward lol.

Isn't it worth it though? Rather than having to call Mike Holmes afterward lol.

:repped: (when I can)

lol. Love Holmes on Holmes. Dude gets pissed, Torts style.

I agree, you want a good company for install, but sometimes they "biggest" use their name to drive up prices.

I have done so much work to my house in the past couple of years. Two years ago we re-did our basement. We put that Owens-Corning system in the basement, its came out really nice, expensive, but nice. My old basement had the walls peeling, no heat and a nasty floor. Now we have a carpeted floor, its warm in the winter even without the heat, we havent turned on the heat down there since we put in radiators, and now we have a TV set up down there and hang out in it a lot. LAst year, we ripped out the old driveway and made it bigger, so we could fit more than 1 car in it, and had them put a concrete patio in the back, and then had a stationary awning put in. This year we took it easy and re-did the kitchen floor, so now all the floors on the main level have been re-done. Our next project is going to probably be building up or putting in a dormer, we need to get it priced out to which will be more beneficial.

Archived