• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Should I be OK?

Fuhgeddaboudit

So I had to schedule classes in like March-April. So, I told my co-worker (new employee) that I am taking off Tuesdays/Thursdays for work because I have classes those days that fill the whole day.

So 3 months later, in June/July, he goes to schedule his classes (yes, he does it later than when he was supposed to) and well look at that... He can't work Tuesdays and Thursdays either.

Now his responsibilities are usually mine when he is off, so why did he take off the same days (he is a freshman so he has more options)?

Now, I'm worried that he goes to tell the boss that he has to take off the same days.

Did I do the right thing by giving my schedule a lot earlier to my boss saying, "here are my hours for the next semester," without having confronted my co-worker and saying taht I am going to give my hours?

I'm afraid that there will be a bad mix-up at the point my co-worker finally goes to give his schedule to my boss as well.

* If I need to describe more details and such, let me know and I'll clarify

I woke up like a minute ago, so maybe it's just me, but this makes 0 sense.

You told your co-worker about your schedule, then told your boss. Then your co-worker ends up getting the same schedule. And now you're worried because you didn't(????) confront your co-worker first? (you did) And why would it matter anyways? Thats a problem for your co-worker. You gave him the information he needed. And he still fucked up... I REALLY don't see what the problem is. Am I alone here?

I woke up like a minute ago, so maybe it's just me, but this makes 0 sense.

You told your co-worker about your schedule, then told your boss. Then your co-worker ends up getting the same schedule. And now you're worried because you didn't(????) confront your co-worker first? (you did) And why would it matter anyways? Thats a problem for your co-worker. You gave him the information he needed. And he still fucked up... I REALLY don't see what the problem is. Am I alone here?

This is the only post here that makes sense.

I don't see why this is an issue, at all. Co-worker just seems retarded.

Yes, he was "OK" with it Josh.

My coworker might be socially retarded. He's Asian, so he is smart LOL.

What happened was, let me detail it in chronological order.

1. I made my schedule in March.

2. Told my co-worker that this was my schedule.

3. Comes June-July, he makes his schedule and ends up telling me it's the same days off.

4. Tells me, "we should tell OD (my boss' nickname) together so we can see what's up.

5. Me being afraid, told my boss my schedule today since he came back from vacation. I gave him my schedule and he said perfectly fine since I'm still working 18 hours.

I did this, without confronting my co-worker that I was giving my boss my schedule.

I mean, it really isn't my business to go confront my co-worker and let him know I'm going to give my schedule to my boss.

I hope it makes a little more sense?

I just don't want to lose the trust of my co-worker (even though I hadn't agreed to going together to describe the situation).

You are not required to tell co-workers about your schedule, in advance, in order for them to take time off. That's up to the co-worker and your boss. They should have communicated with one another.

You are not required to tell co-workers about your schedule, in advance, in order for them to take time off. That's up to the co-worker and your boss. They should have communicated with one another.

Well, yeah, they still have time because our semester is still in a month. I just wanted to get my schedule out earlier because I rather have my boss say, "oh he gave me his schedule first and he made it first, so honestly don't know why the other co-worker didn't change his schedule around".

I mean, yeah, my co-worker is retarded because he had sufficient time to make his schedule and he has A LOT of classes to take because he's a freshman while I'm a junior. He has more area for change while I have specific courses to finish up.

So honestly, he should have changed his courses around.

You probably should have told your boss months ago when you made the schedule.

Would have been a great idea, but the thing is I printed my schedule awhile ago anyway and it shows the time on the schedule of when I had it printed. So he knows I printed mine long ago.

:)

Only reason I didn't tell him about my schedule that early was because I was thinking about changing it.

You told your co worker about it way back so he knew, he's either stupid or trying to be an ass. If he has a problem with it just tell him you told him long ago and get get a life.

Would have been easier if you had set it up with your boss way back then so he could inform your co worker that you already taken that time off but if your co worker have any issues with this it's only his own fault since you told him long ago about your schedule

You told your co worker about it way back so he knew, he's either stupid or trying to be an ass. If he has a problem with it just tell him you told him long ago and get get a life.

Would have been easier if you had set it up with your boss way back then so he could inform your co worker that you already taken that time off but if your co worker have any issues with this it's only his own fault since you told him long ago about your schedule

Yeah; I should have told my boss that I had made my temporary schedule at that point. It would have been a good idea, but I was just too mixed up with things.

Oh well, now it'll just be a problem for the semester, but at least I'll be working more hours than him so my boss really can't say anything to me either.

Yes, he was "OK" with it Josh.

My coworker might be socially retarded. He's Asian, so he is smart LOL.

What happened was, let me detail it in chronological order.

1. I made my schedule in March.

2. Told my co-worker that this was my schedule.

3. Comes June-July, he makes his schedule and ends up telling me it's the same days off.

4. Tells me, "we should tell OD (my boss' nickname) together so we can see what's up.

5. Me being afraid, told my boss my schedule today since he came back from vacation. I gave him my schedule and he said perfectly fine since I'm still working 18 hours.

I did this, without confronting my co-worker that I was giving my boss my schedule.

I mean, it really isn't my business to go confront my co-worker and let him know I'm going to give my schedule to my boss.

I hope it makes a little more sense?

I just don't want to lose the trust of my co-worker (even though I hadn't agreed to going together to describe the situation).

COMPLETELY different than what you wrote in the OP. When he said "we should tell OD together", you should have confronted him then. Now, because you probably nodded your head when he said that, he's going to be sort of in the right when he comes back to you pissed because you locked in your schedule first without going together. But he's still an idiot, so it doesnt matter what he thinks.

You're "OK", but it's not the way I would have handled it.

COMPLETELY different than what you wrote in the OP. When he said "we should tell OD together", you should have confronted him then. Now, because you probably nodded your head when he said that, he's going to be sort of in the right when he comes back to you pissed because you locked in your schedule first without going together. But he's still an idiot, so it doesnt matter what he thinks.

You're "OK", but it's not the way I would have handled it.

Yeah, I didn't really give him a nod. It was outside the work place anyway. We were outside and he just told me to confront him.

If anything, I can just tell my co-worker that I'd had given my boss the schedule awhile back and totally forgot about it.

For some reason I hope that your co worker actually got to your boss first. Maybe it is because you are treating this all like the most important thing is how this all works out best for you, rather than considering how any of this effects your boss or your co worker.

Or maybe it is just thirty six hours without power that has me cranky.

My hours are good enough. Why would it matter for my boss? It only matters for him in the end when he has to decide who has to do the things we do during the days we're off (tuesday/thursday) when my co-worker could have worked around those days when scheduling his courses.

I'd shit can you both and hire someone who wanted to work rather than to have a flexible schedule.

They are students. If you can't work around this, or allow this, or expect this, as a manager, you fail.

Archived