• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Unlimited Paid Vacation Time!?!?

Blue Heaven

I need to find a job that has this perk!

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/unlimited-vacation-time-ultimate-benefit-160807503.html

A number of companies, particularly the Silicon Valley, start-up kind, are moving away from the traditional vacation accrual policy and toward a looser, more employee-friendly unlimited paid time off policy. These somewhat new policies give workers greater flexibility and free managers from the administrative drudgery of having to track employees' time off. More important, an unlimited vacation policy gives these companies a recruiting edge in the war for talent.

Someone edit the title and put the A in for Vacation

Its really unfortunate that we are a working society. I hear about countries in Europe that have a minimum of 4 weeks of vacation. I started off with 2 weeks of vacation at my current job and I feel like that is barely enough to do anything especially when you have to consider that you have to maybe save a couple of days for certain circumstances. Im now lucky enough to get 4 weeks (I was suppose to max out at 3) but I guess im a good employee that they have given me an extra week. Im dedicated to my job that so far this year ive only taken 2 1/2 days.....September and December cant come soon enough where I really get to get away from the office for a week.

If I could get the same amount of work done in 3 days as 5, then why the hell should I come in for the extra 2? Of course, there are some weeks I work nights and a few hours on the weekend) but it's ebb and flow.

I get way more done at home than I do in the office.

There are days where I finish everything I do. I wish I could go home and get paid for it.

Another thing Europe does right. They work less hours. They also let employees go home for two, three hours a day for "lunch" or to take naps. They basically work no more than six hours a day and find that they actually get more work done.

I've always found the US system to be somewhat tedious and in a lot of ways backwards. Instead of giving workers incentive, they punish them for failing to meet scrupulous standards that don't really have a purpose in today's working environment anymore.

For instance, workers feel they work too much for too little, so slack off at work and go on Facebook.

The US response? Block Facebook.

What they think it does: Stop employees from wasting company time.

What it really does: Cause employees to waste more company time by finding ways around the block.

There are dozens of examples like this.

Not sure what it's like elsewhere in Europe, but in The Netherlands people work an average 36 hours a week and have 20-28 paid days of leave. Average incomes are the same (after taxation) and minimum wage is higher.

Not sure what it's like elsewhere in Europe, but in The Netherlands people work an average 36 hours a week and have 20-28 paid days of leave. Average incomes are the same (after taxation) and minimum wage is higher.

that's pretty much my exact job. I work 14 days a month, about 36 hours a week, and get 25-30 vacation days per year. I love it.

I get 5 weeks paid vacation, but it's because our office is closed between Christmas and New Year, and I've been here for 5 years. But it's the tediousness of having to commute. It effects everything, including where to buy a home. You get a lot more for your money 1:15 away from NYC than you do :45 away.

I work two weeks on/two weeks off.

I have 6 weeks vacation per year, (3 weeks away from work).

The flexibility comes in that as long as their are no large projects, or immediate impact, I am allowed to take extra time off.

In fact was recently encouraged that I do that, (just completing some large capital projects).

Fact is that the person I report to, realizes that I produce better when re-energized, and when things are slow, best to have me in town, away from work...and coaching hockey.

Luckily.....From Sept to Feb we tend to be "slower"......and thus allows me to coach hockey.

During that time I only work 6 days per month.

The jobs I've had in the past couple years.. 50+ hours a week. No overtime. No sick days. Vacation time? Haven't stayed long enough to find out. Hence my frustration with the restaurant industry. I should have been a policeman.

I hear ya, my wife was telling me when she managed a Red Lobster she was working 80+ hours a week and barely able to have a life of her own. She ended up quitting b/c she couldnt deal with it anymore. Now she works for Whole Foods as an assistant manager hopefully moving up to manager but not as bad of hours/commitment as with Red Lobster.

Archived