Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: General Police Discussion Thread: Traffic Tickets, Guns, Donuts and More!

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    Congrats bro. Like Chizz said, the academy is a lot different than when I went through, they made it a lot easier. They are going to fuck with you, but just remember its 6 months and once your done, the real job is nothing like what they tell you. Gym is the only place they really push you, just deal with the bullshit and you'll be fine. It's a lot of the same thing over and over again, but besides gym, it's a piece of cake. Just don't wipe the sweat from your face in gum, and don't fall behind in the run. Welcome aboard, you'll do well, don't sweat it.
    what does this part mean?

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by quick release View Post
    what does this part mean?
    I meant gym, stupid autocorrect on my phone. But in gym glass, you aren't allowed to wipe the sweat off your face after running and working out. It teaches you that if your in a gun fight, not to wipe any sweat because the moment you take your eyes off the other guy, it could be the end of you. It's a pain in the ass some of the stuff they do, but it has a reason. Your also not allowed to carry your academy bag in your shooting hand so it gets you used to keeping that hand free while on patrol.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head
    Question for law enforcement.
    I told my son to not use the term "cop".
    It sounds somewhat "slang" to me.

He now says officer or trooper.

Am I the only one who things the term "cop" seems derogatory?
    No. That's why in all my posts you'll see P.O., though NYR2711's explanation showed how it originated.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones
    Hidden Content

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻ Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    Calls started going out tonight for the academy, btw. I'll PM you NYR.

I spoke to my co-workers sister in APD. She said she looked me up and I'm in. Now i'm waiting for the call. You and keith are going to be my life lines. People tell me the first few months of academy are mental anguish as they try to break you and make you quit lol. I may need a pep talk from time to time.

And always remember, the longer they don't know your name, the better off you are. There are always those jag-offs in the academy that think the best thing to do is try to stand out in the crowd by doing whatever. If you ever have a question, ask them, but don't be that "What if" guy that asks some obscure question like "well, what if im in an airplane over international borders? Do the NY laws apply there?". Don't try to be a superstar the first few days and weeks of gym because it's a marathon, not a sprint. Always pay attention and understand that every single thing they ever ask, no matter how obscure it may seem, is a test. Don't let yourself get caught up in that concept of "im a smart dude so i don't want to look stupid not knowing something" and pretend that you get it when you might not at first. Enjoy the gun range and the vehicle obstacle course because those will be the first two times you really feel like you're a cop (it was for me i guess lol) and as I told you on the phone earlier today, my door is open 24/7 to any question you might want to bounce off me.

And the above goes for anyone who might be getting into the field or has some questions.
    Last edited by Keirik; 07-06-2012 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sheltonpackfan View Post
    QUICK call the cops, someone stole your "O"'s
    lol for some reason my cell always autocorrects things to yu from my slang.

Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    And always remember, the longer they don't know your name, the better off you are. There are always those jag-offs in the academy that think the best thing to do is try to stand out in the crowd by doing whatever. If you ever have a question, ask them, but don't be that "What if" guy that asks some obscure question like "well, what if im in an airplane over international borders? Do the NY laws apply there?". Don't try to be a superstar the first few days and weeks of gym because it's a marathon, not a sprint. Always pay attention and understand that every single thing they ever ask, no matter how obscure it may seem, is a test. Don't let yourself get caught up in that concept of "im a smart dude so i don't want to look stupid not knowing something" and pretend that you get it when you might not at first. Enjoy the gun range and the vehicle obstacle course because those will be the first two times you really feel like you're a cop (it was for me i guess lol) and as I told you on the phone earlier today, my door is open 24/7 to any question you might want to bounce off me.

And the above goes for anyone who might be getting into the field or has some questions.
    This. You don't want any of the instructors to know you. The driving range is awesome, until your in the back seat and the driver is a brand new driver. Thats the one thing that sucked about NYPD, you get all the city people that get a license for the job and can't drive for shit. We had one girl who pulled the emergency brake on the belt because she had no clue what she was doing. All of us Long Island guys passed very easily, the city people not so much. The only thing that sucked about the range is that Rodmans Neck is right on the water, so you get all of the bugs. It's gotten a little better. Ow because when they had the Police Games, they finally paved the entire range, it used to be mostly dirt, so when it rained you were standing and sinking in mud.

But the academy is the best time. I still talk to a couple of guys every now and then, but the storys we have are priceless. It really turns into a family because you are helping and pushing each other to pass and do well. When we had a guy start to slow down when we ran in our company, our whole company would start to slow down to get the guy going again, and it someone from another company would drop back, we would squeeze them in with us so they wouldn't get in trouble.

Oh and Niko, park under the FDR, it's the quickest way out if you drive and is pretty cheap. If you take the train, don't get a cab at the ends of 21st street, they will yell at you, and don't do anything dumb driving home, I know guys that got in trouble while driving because academy instructors saw them doing something while driving or on the train. And while in the academy turn your phone off, and if you can, take out the battery. If your caught on your phone they pull a demerit card from you.
    Last edited by NYR2711; 07-06-2012 at 01:57 AM.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I was hoping the lot isn't too expensive because car pooling with someone or some guys may be a bitch. I don't want to have to depend on a guy/s I don't know and be late because of it. The train may be a bitch too, so I'm going to take a test run this weekend to the orientation site (QUeens College) and to the academy site. I went to the academy site for the JST, but it was a Sunday and I parked on the street.

A buddy of mine told me to avoid the train if I can, because you're responsible for being like a police officer while on the train and it's a responsibility I don't want this early in the game. I just don't want to have to sit on a train for an hour when I can drive there in 20 minutes.

I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure you guys will get PMs from me and Keith, you know you can expect texts lol.

The words of advice are much appreciated.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I was hoping the lot isn't too expensive because car pooling with someone or some guys may be a bitch. I don't want to have to depend on a guy/s I don't know and be late because of it. The train may be a bitch too, so I'm going to take a test run this weekend to the orientation site (QUeens College) and to the academy site. I went to the academy site for the JST, but it was a Sunday and I parked on the street.

A buddy of mine told me to avoid the train if I can, because you're responsible for being like a police officer while on the train and it's a responsibility I don't want this early in the game. I just don't want to have to sit on a train for an hour when I can drive there in 20 minutes.

I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure you guys will get PMs from me and Keith, you know you can expect texts lol.

The words of advice are much appreciated.
    Yeah, you cant park on the street in that area, so if you drive your going to have to find a parking garage or lot. Parking is a bitch around there, they even give us sht about parking over there. Its about a 3 or 4 block walk from the FDR, but the time you save in waiting with everyone else at the parking garages is well worth the walk. If you want my number, let me know and I will send you a pm.

Oh and one more thing to think about. I'm not sure how it is in the NYPD though but for Nassau, when the first day came and they said to be at a place at 7, they meant 7. Not 645, not 701. Just 7. Do NOT be late. Early might get you yelled at but late will get you remembered.

When I went, early was fine, but that was because there was 3500 of us and they started early. Pretty much everything in the NYPD it pays to be early for. When you go to the range, start time is either 7 or 8, but you have to be there before 6 if you want to get out at a decent time. Usually for the range I get there at like 545 and there is a line already, they open the gates at 6, and then everyone parks and runs into the mess hall to sign in, which they start at 620 or 630. If your in the first relay your out at like 130, if your in the last relays, your out close to 3, and if your going at the end of the cycle, you have to hope you make the cutoff for that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Early gets you yelled at?
    where i worked yeah. I remember they said be in the parking lot of a mall at 7am. Some people showed up at 640am and were yelled at that it's not 7am and why can't they follow directions. Lol. The city might be different. Nassau is a smaller dept so they tend to be a rougher academy and a lot more rugged with the smaller numbers

Come get some! Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    where i worked yeah. I remember they said be in the parking lot of a mall at 7am. Some people showed up at 640am and were yelled at that it's not 7am and why can't they follow directions. Lol. The city might be different. Nassau is a smaller dept so they tend to be a rougher academy and a lot more rugged with the smaller numbers
    LOL, I always thought that way. Even for interviews. If it were a 9 am interview, I would get there around 815 to make sure I find the place. Then I would drive by it, park somewhere else nearby so no one can see me waiting. I'll drive back at 840-845, because obviously for an interview you show up early.
    Honor, Tradition, Respect... This is what it means to be a NEW YORK RANGER!

Just got the official call. As of 3:59, I'm in. NYR2711, Keirik and I are fratelli.

Come get some! Junior Division
    Just got the official call. As of 3:59, I'm in. NYR2711, Keirik and I are fratelli.
    Congrats bro!!!
    Honor, Tradition, Respect... This is what it means to be a NEW YORK RANGER!

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Grats!

Giddy UP!

yo yo ma.

Congrats bro, and welcome to the family

PP Conundrum BSBH Prospect
    Niko what kind of donut do you like? congrats

2 days until it starts ! (cue scary music) lol

Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast