• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Job/Internship Dilemma

Fuhgeddaboudit

I currently work full-tim (not really an internship where it's a limited time e.g. working in the fall semester, or working in the summer)

I was currently referred to NorthWestern Bank I believe and they just called me to schedule an appointment for an interview or to take a look around the office.

I told them it was a bad time(with my grandfather and all that) and if they would call me back at a later time (maybe Friday or next Monday) to inquire at that time and I'd let them know what I wanted to do.

Now, I have no idea what to do. This would be my second interview, I would be quite nervous about it and I'm pretty happy with my job right now during school.

Also, this internship is only for the Fall so if I do quit my part-time job where I work all year for this job, I'd be jobless perhaps by the end of fall.

I have no idea what to do, especially since people have claimed this is a good internship program

I'd stick with your current job bro. Too hard to find a job right now. Unless you're able to get another position through the internship, I'd just stick with what you have.

That's what worries me. I have no idea what's in the future after this internship if I quit my current job for it you know what I'm saying?

It sucks because NorthWestern Mutual is a pretty good place to intern at so I hear, and to give it all up just because it's only in the Fall is just confusing me

That's what worries me. I have no idea what's in the future after this internship if I quit my current job for it you know what I'm saying?

It sucks because NorthWestern Mutual is a pretty good place to intern at so I hear, and to give it all up just because it's only in the Fall is just confusing me

Well it definitely doesn't hurt to go on the 2nd interview. Maybe a lot more will be clear if you do go on the interview.You could even ask them if this position would lead to future positions in their company.

I'm a bit lost...

What's your major?

What's your ideal job?

What's your ideal job after graduation?

Your current job is the internship? Are you getting credits for the internship?

My major is finance

My ideal job would most likely be investment banking/financial services

My current job is doing small minor financial services for clients. I don't do much because I'm learning and currently in school.

It's a private company, it's not really an "internship" through the school but I am learning stuff. I never really knew the clear cut definition of internship.

And no I'm not getting credits for the internship but I am getting paid.

Like I said... It's not an "internship" where I work 3 moths and then go back to no job or internship. I work every workday every season. It's not like "fall 2012 internship" and then your time is done.

Whereas this internship that called me IS a fall 2012 internship

If you are learning "the basics" at your current spot, stay there. Being young, new, etc, to the field, you want experience and longevity.

Check with your advisor and see what you need to do to get this count towards schooling. Get those credits. I took 3 classes a semester my senior year, and my internship was bologna.

Also, GO to the 2nd interview. Interview as much as possible. Going to an interview doesnt mean you have to take the job. Let the interview decide.

If you are learning "the basics" at your current spot, stay there. Being young, new, etc, to the field, you want experience and longevity.

Check with your advisor and see what you need to do to get this count towards schooling. Get those credits. I took 3 classes a semester my senior year, and my internship was bologna.

Also, GO to the 2nd interview. Interview as much as possible. Going to an interview doesnt mean you have to take the job. Let the interview decide.

I have no interview skills lol. I have no idea what's "right" to say when they tell me "oh you have the job if your interested" yada yada. I guess I need to find time to look into this

I would stay at a paid job over an internship where you are basically relegated to copy duty. Experience in your relevant field is great for your resume whether it's an internship or real position.

As for interviews, I never liked the advice given in schools - such as using adjectives to describe yourself (hardworking, team player, determined...), ask those basic questions and what-not.. The interviewers hear those countless times. An interviewer has your resume and knows your experience. They want to see you. In the end of the day an interview is just a conversation. I remember having an interview talking about work for 5 minutes, and Rangers for 25 minutes.

Anyway, interviews get much easier as you get the hang of them. Most questions are there to see how you answer them and get a feel for who you are. Personality is a big thing.

I would stay at a paid job over an internship where you are basically relegated to copy duty. Experience in your relevant field is great for your resume whether it's an internship or real position.

As for interviews, I never liked the advice given in schools - such as using adjectives to describe yourself (hardworking, team player, determined...), ask those basic questions and what-not.. The interviewers hear those countless times. An interviewer has your resume and knows your experience. They want to see you. In the end of the day an interview is just a conversation. I remember having an interview talking about work for 5 minutes, and Rangers for 25 minutes.

Anyway, interviews get much easier as you get the hang of them. Most questions are there to see how you answer them and get a feel for who you are. Personality is a big thing.

Good point. I feel schools/colleges really scare the shit out of you when it comes to interviews. Sometimes half the shit they tell us to say is something that's not ME, so why would I say it?

I have no interview skills lol. I have no idea what's "right" to say when they tell me "oh you have the job if your interested" yada yada. I guess I need to find time to look into this

You'll learn from experience.

As far as being worried about being offered something on the spot, you'd always have to know about hours, flexibility ( you are in school), pay, etc. Never accept a job on the spot (unless you're taking over for Howson). Always say you'll go back and talk it over with family/friends.

When did I interview you? lol

I try to ask 1 question about the job - "Do you know what you would be doing in this position?"

After that, I just see if the person can interact with me enough so they could fit in the organization, in a way that is necessary for that person to grow and be a productive member of the team.

This is why you need to interview.

Isn't Northwestern a insurance company who makes their interns call people they know to try and sell them insurance?

That's any insurance company.

"You know a lot of ignorant, old or stupid people? - HIRED!"

Yeah I know, maybe I'll 100% do it but they're asking me at the worst time. No way I can do this now

That part made my head hurt.

On a more serious note. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa. I sincerely hope things work out for the best. Keep praying and be there for your parents. They need you just as much as you need them brother.

Isn't Northwestern a insurance company who makes their interns call people they know to try and sell them insurance?

Yeah. They're basically insurance salespeople and they work insane hours.

Internships are one of the biggest rackets going. With that said, I'm on the train on the way back from mine. :)

Just be glad you have something right now. I focused too much on school work and not enough on actually getting experience during college and now I'm suffering a bit. Despite having a pretty good GPA (3.5) and volunteering for 2 months after school I still haven't gotten one decent interview many months later. That said, if anyone here knows of any openings for entry-level accountants let me know lol

To those still in college - GO TO JOB FAIRS and try to get as many internships as possible before graduating. If I had to do it all over I would definitely have spent way more time trying to get my foot in the door than maintaining a good GPA

Just be glad you have something right now. I focused too much on school work and not enough on actually getting experience during college and now I'm suffering a bit. Despite having a pretty good GPA (3.5) and volunteering for 2 months after school I still haven't gotten one decent interview many months later. That said, if anyone here knows of any openings for entry-level accountants let me know lol

To those still in college - GO TO JOB FAIRS and try to get as many internships as possible before graduating. If I had to do it all over I would definitely have spent way more time trying to get my foot in the door than maintaining a good GPA

I'll let you know actually because we might be looking at my job. I'll let you know if something pops up

Archived