• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What is Rep, and Why Does it Matter?

Phil

If you view your Profile via your settings you'll see a section for "Recent Rep". Every member on the forum starts with 10 "rep points", and that number can only increase.

All rep is is a small forum feature that allows users to "give props" (positive only) to other users for a post they think is funny, well-written, well-thought out, etc. There is no criteria for why you should or could give rep to another user, but those are generally the reasons why.

The small green bar beneath your Forum Title will eventually grow the more rep you accrue, and the more you accrue the more "points" you can give out when you rep others in the process.

None of it has any meaning, really, and no one can see the rep you receive but you (and me), but it's a fun feature that can actually be useful.

For example, if you wrote out a great thread and someone thought it was a good idea, they can "rep" you with a comment like "Awesome thread idea!", and it'll show up in your recent rep, and you'll receive whatever the points value that member has at the time. The more rep you receive, the more you can give out.

Please note: There is no "update" for when you receive rep, unfortunately. The only way to check to see if anyone has sent you any is to view your profile via the Settings tab in the upper right corner. Your rep will show up in the "Latest Reputation Received" field.

--

• For every 365 number of days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

• For every 2000 number of posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

• For every 200 points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

• User must have 10 posts before his reputation "counts" on others.

• User can only give out 10 reputations per 24 hour period, and you must rep 2 users before you can rep another again.

Edited by Phil in Absentia

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rep was universally adjusted, so you likely "lost" points if you're viewing your profile.

The reason for is due to the fact that Admin rep was set too high, so I adjusted accordingly so all rep is of equal value. There's no reason for my rep to be worth more than anyone else's.

LOL. It's still higher than anyone else's. I ain't even mad, yo.

well, with averaging 100 posts a day the law of averages would suggest that you said something either funny or intelligent at least 5-10 times.

Question about rep. At what intervals of rep does the green bar increase?

• 1 bar of rep for every 100 points you receive.

--

• For every 365 number of days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

• For every 1000 number of posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

• For every 100 points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

• User must have 10 posts before his reputation "counts" on others.

• User can only give out 10 reputations per 24 hour period, and you must rep 10 users before you can rep another again.

• 5 weeks later...
? 1 bar of rep for every 100 points you receive.

--

? For every 365 number of days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

? For every 1000 number of posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

? For every 100 points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

? User must have 10 posts before his reputation "counts" on others.

? User can only give out 10 reputations per 24 hour period, and you must rep 10 users before you can rep another again.

What's this "green bar" of rep that you speak of?

• 4 weeks later...
I actually lowered the number of reps you have to give out before you can rep another user and you guys still don't use it. LOL.

I was using it, a decent amount too. Then I realized I never got any in return and wondered why I was wasting my time...

• Like 4