Page 276 of 294 FirstFirst ... 176226266274275276277278286 ... LastLast
Results 5,501 to 5,520 of 5873

Thread: Pet Peeves

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    I'll counter with anyone who rides a subway with a backpack and doesn't take it off on the train.

Also, anyone who rides the subway with a bicycle at rush hour. Ride your bike home, dick.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    I'll counter with anyone who rides a subway with a backpack and doesn't take it off on the train. Also, anyone who rides the subway with a bicycle at rush hour. Ride your bike home, dick.
    I hate bikers that don't follow the traffic rules.

Hey asshole, it's red, stop or don't cry when I run you over.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Sighing Dutchman BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Missing Teeth View Post

I am very picky about obeying traffic laws, but there was this hysterical story that I read about biking in San Francisco that made me rethink some of it. Police was forcing all cyclists to stop at stop signs like a car. Now, that seems reasonable, but if every single bike would ride where it should - in the center-right of the lane, not near the sidewalk - in single file and would stop at every stop sign or light in the city, things get a little tougher for cars.

A group of cyclists actually went out to prove this and it led to a near instant change of the law: This Is What Happened When Bicyclists Obeyed Traffic Laws Along The Wiggle Yesterday. It's pretty damn funny.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    Hidden Content

Senior Member Midget Division
    Drivers, you mean?
    Them too...but they commute the same way they drive. Clueless of others around them and normally on the phone constantly.

Clean Slate, Grab It! NYR BSBH Prospect

Gotta love the ones that ride in the middle of the street, rather than the bike lane. Which is why I don't care if something happens to them, don't wanna obey the rules, it's your own fault. I hate when they do that.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydollaz18 View Post
    Gotta love the ones that ride in the middle of the street, rather than the bike lane. Which is why I don't care if something happens to them, don't wanna obey the rules, it's your own fault. I hate when they do that.
    I cant stand drivers who drive in the bike lane

Clean Slate, Grab It! NYR BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    I cant stand drivers who drive in the bike lane
    That person shouldn't be on the road then. lol

Also, people on motorcycles, in the pouring rain on the highway, and they're swooping in and out of lanes, as fast as they can in the middle of cars. And then they wonder why they crash. It annoys the shit out of me when they do that.

By law, cyclists in almost all states are allowed to not use the bike lanes if standards are not met and only 17 states have made the use of bike lanes mandatory. New York is among those mandatory states, but with a number of common exceptions, that many cyclists use for good reason. In the vast majority of the United States, cyclists have every right to share the road with you and, in fact, are not even forced to hug the curb at any point or use the bike lane. States that don't require bike lane use, even where existent, include every single state surrounding New York.

Unfortunately, and as a daily bike rider I know this well, bike lanes - where they so rarely exist - are often actually a terrible choice. Potholes closer to the curb and on bike lanes are often not fixed and definitely not a priority (and are a main reason for crashes with injury, as you swerve and/or fall into traffic). When roads get swept or simply just driven on a lot, glass and gravel ends up near the curb and in the bike lane as it gets pushed off the main lanes by vehicles (which leads to constant flat tires and even exploding tires, which causes instant loss of control and swerving). Sewer grates and water drains are made with such wide openings, your tires can actually fall into them (and I don't even ride a racing bike) and there's plenty of towns I bike in where they painted bike lanes right over them. Which, obviously, isn't... well, useful.

The reality is that American car users think they know the rules and safety standards for cyclist, but they don't, as made quite clear by your post here for example. Bike lanes in this country are a fucking joke and, again, often not mandatory at all. They are too narrow, they are in bad shape and full of debris, and they frankly just don't exist in many places. Nearly daily I get honked off the road and cars rev their engines to threaten me on narrower sections, weekly I get grazed by side mirrors of pick-up trucks and intentionally cut off, and I'm a bike rider who abides the law, knows his place on the road and is well aware of his speed and behavior and yet I'm a constant victim of angry commuter road rage, dangerous drivers and generally dumbfuckery by people who think they have more rights to the road just for being in a car.

There are many valid reasons to not use the bike lane of which a lot of commuters are painfully and blissfully unaware. Not caring if something happens to people who don't use bike lanes, even if they are there, is moronic and it reflects badly on you. It makes you look like just another scumbag driver who can't deal with losing ten seconds of your valuable transit time to someone who is doing something that would actually solve traffic and obesity issues in this place, if only more people did it and the law protected them better.

/rant

PS. Maybe this deserves a new thread.
    Hidden Content

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie

Some time in the late 90's, I was driving down the main road by your house. The one with 4 lanes, 2 on each side. I don't want to mention the name of it. There were a whole group of cyclists taking up both lanes in the direction I was going. They stopped at every fuckin light, and wouldn't move over to the right lane. I blew the horn behind 1 asshole, and he nearly shit himself. He moved out of the way, and proceeded to give the finger with such vigor, that I thought his arm was going to fall off. He and his buddies thought it would be a good idea to curse me out, and throw things at my car. I passed them up, but got stuck at the next light. They went through the light, and cursed me in the process. The light then turned green. I pulled next to the spandex wearing flame throwers, and they were still cursing me out. I rolled down my window, and politely asked them if they needed an ambulance. He said "For what, asshole?" I said "For this, jerkoff", as I swerved my brand new Acura into all 4 of them. They crashed into the curb, tumbled over one another, and were laying on the street, bushes, and someone's lawn. As they're all fucked up laying there, trying to get up, moaning, etc ... I told them to go fuck themselves, and to enjoy the rest of their bike ride.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member Junior Division

I got one of these to tow my daughter around the neighborhood/soccer class, where am I exactly suppose to ride if not in the middle of a lane?

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    By law, cyclists in almost all states are allowed to not use the bike lanes if standards are not met and only 17 states have made the use of bike lanes mandatory. New York is among those mandatory states, but with a number of common exceptions, that many cyclists use for good reason. In the vast majority of the United States, cyclists have every right to share the road with you and, in fact, are not even forced to hug the curb at any point or use the bike lane. States that don't require bike lane use, even where existent, include every single state surrounding New York.

Unfortunately, and as a daily bike rider I know this well, bike lanes - where they so rarely exist - are often actually a terrible choice. Potholes closer to the curb and on bike lanes are often not fixed and definitely not a priority (and are a main reason for crashes with injury, as you swerve and/or fall into traffic). When roads get swept or simply just driven on a lot, glass and gravel ends up near the curb and in the bike lane as it gets pushed off the main lanes by vehicles (which leads to constant flat tires and even exploding tires, which causes instant loss of control and swerving). Sewer grates and water drains are made with such wide openings, your tires can actually fall into them (and I don't even ride a racing bike) and there's plenty of towns I bike in where they painted bike lanes right over them. Which, obviously, isn't... well, useful.

The reality is that American car users think they know the rules and safety standards for cyclist, but they don't, as made quite clear by your post here for example. Bike lanes in this country are a fucking joke and, again, often not mandatory at all. They are too narrow, they are in bad shape and full of debris, and they frankly just don't exist in many places. Nearly daily I get honked off the road and cars rev their engines to threaten me on narrower sections, weekly I get grazed by side mirrors of pick-up trucks and intentionally cut off, and I'm a bike rider who abides the law, knows his place on the road and is well aware of his speed and behavior and yet I'm a constant victim of angry commuter road rage, dangerous drivers and generally dumbfuckery by people who think they have more rights to the road just for being in a car.

There are many valid reasons to not use the bike lane of which a lot of commuters are painfully and blissfully unaware. Not caring if something happens to people who don't use bike lanes, even if they are there, is moronic and it reflects badly on you. It makes you look like just another scumbag driver who can't deal with losing ten seconds of your valuable transit time to someone who is doing something that would actually solve traffic and obesity issues in this place, if only more people did it and the law protected them better.

/rant

PS. Maybe this deserves a new thread.
    It's because people don't actually know the law. Like you said, bicycles can and should (in plenty of cases) ride in the middle of the street, even when a bicycle lane exists. THIS SHOULD BE COMMON KNOWLEDGE. But it's not. So if someone's mentality is that people not in the bike lane should have their safety disregarded, then you get a lot of what you talk about.

Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect
    People who refuse to even read the instructions, fuck it up and then blame either the system or the support desk person they call. It's pretty much the go-to response for IT issues by people over the age of 55.

I was just yelled at for two minutes by an older woman trying to sign up for a regatta that "I can't believe you, yes, you designed a system that's so terrible old people can't figure it out. You just hate old people, because it's not me, I know computers." She had, for those of you wondering what led to this egregious and mean-spirited intentional anti-old people error, repeatedly misspelled her own last name, causing the database to obviously not connect her entry with her existing record. Which she proceeded to blame on me anyway.

The thing is, I can laugh about it afterwards and we all do at the office, but sometimes you just want to yell back.
    My life ever single day.
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

The artist formerly known as Mr. Smith Junior Division
    Peeve — People who make a big deal about gluten because their mother's friend's doctor told them to stop eating bread. I understand if you have legitimate gluten allergy or are cutting carbs to eat healthier, but I don't understand the reaction people are having to gluten right now. What did gluten ever do to you, but make you happy? Mmm.... pizza.
    Hidden Content

Did everything just taste purple for a second?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    Some time in the late 90's, I was driving down the main road by your house. The one with 4 lanes, 2 on each side. I don't want to mention the name of it. There were a whole group of cyclists taking up both lanes in the direction I was going. They stopped at every fuckin light, and wouldn't move over to the right lane. I blew the horn behind 1 asshole, and he nearly shit himself. He moved out of the way, and proceeded to give the finger with such vigor, that I thought his arm was going to fall off. He and his buddies thought it would be a good idea to curse me out, and throw things at my car. I passed them up, but got stuck at the next light. They went through the light, and cursed me in the process. The light then turned green. I pulled next to the spandex wearing flame throwers, and they were still cursing me out. I rolled down my window, and politely asked them if they needed an ambulance. He said "For what, asshole?" I said "For this, jerkoff", as I swerved my brand new Acura into all 4 of them. They crashed into the curb, tumbled over one another, and were laying on the street, bushes, and someone's lawn. As they're all fucked up laying there, trying to get up, moaning, etc ... I told them to go fuck themselves, and to enjoy the rest of their bike ride.
    Attempted vehicular manslaughter, right? They were in the wrong for biking where they did - although, I'm actually not sure of that since two bikes per lane is allowed and if one duo was technically overtaking the other they can, but it wasn't very courteous of them, I'll give you that - but really, you hit people with your car for flipping you the bird and you proudly tell that story?
    Last edited by Jules; 08-19-2015 at 12:28 PM.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by High and Wide View Post
    Peeve — People who make a big deal about gluten because their mother's friend's doctor told them to stop eating bread. I understand if you have legitimate gluten allergy or are cutting carbs to eat healthier, but I don't understand the reaction people are having to gluten right now. What did gluten ever do to you, but make you happy? Mmm.... pizza.
    It's a fad diet based on junk science, like most new craze diets. The only people on the planet who should be avoiding gluten are those with Celiac disease (like my mother-in-law) and they account for about 1% of the total population of the U.S.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

The artist formerly known as Mr. Smith Junior Division
    It's a fad diet based on junk science, like most new craze diets. The only people on the planet who should be avoiding gluten are those with Celiac disease (like my mother-in-law) and they account for about 1% of the total population of the U.S.
    Summed up in this video.

Spoiler: {option} 
    Hidden Content

Did everything just taste purple for a second?

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post

I got one of these to tow my daughter around the neighborhood/soccer class, where am I exactly suppose to ride if not in the middle of a lane?
    Not in the street, IMO, because...
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    It's because people don't actually know the law. Like you said, bicycles can and should (in plenty of cases) ride in the middle of the street, even when a bicycle lane exists. THIS SHOULD BE COMMON KNOWLEDGE. But it's not. So if someone's mentality is that people not in the bike lane should have their safety disregarded, then you get a lot of what you talk about.
    ...It's just a bad idea for a 200 pound something that goes 10-20mph to share the road/lanes with a 1 ton something going 30-40mph.

Now, I don't have a solution, other than move bike lanes to the middle of the road, not sure how safe and practical that is. I'm not blaming bikers, but reality is if you're on a bike with your kid in tow, you're likely doing 15mph or so. Holding up traffic on a 35mph or 25mph street just isn't working.

Again, I don't have a solution, and it's no one's fault, I'm just stating my opinion on it. I don't drive much on streets where there are bikers, nor do I ride a bike, so I really have no skin in the game. The entire idea just lack logic, from where I see it. Maybe someone can explain it so it makes more sense to me.

Grace is amongst those with an actual gluten issue and the amount of people who feel the need to judge her diet is weird. She'll ask for a gluten-free option and unsolicited someone will say "I can't believe you believe in that hipster diet." It's only keeping her for crippling intestine inflammation, but other than that, yeah, fucking hipster.
    Hidden Content

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Grace is amongst those with an actual gluten issue and the amount of people who feel the need to judge her diet is weird. She'll ask for a gluten-free option and unsolicited someone will say "I can't believe you believe in that hipster diet." It's only keeping her for crippling intestine inflammation, but other than that, yeah, fucking hipster.
    Anyone, saying anything, about anyone else's diet—is a pet peeve.

Quote Originally Posted by High and Wide View Post
    Summed up in this video.

Spoiler: {option} 
    Yup. That's my mother-in-law. She can't even touch flour or most breads. Her fingers start to swell. If she eats it, her throat swells, she has trouble breathing, and she has the same issues this chick is talking about where her white blood cells attack her own body in her intestines. It's awful.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens