• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Need a New Wireless Router

Phil

I've been using Linksys' WRT54GL model for the last five years or so because of the ability to use DD-WRT, but this is the second one I've lost in the last 2 years, and the speed it's been putting out the last few months (perhaps it was just dying) was awful. We're talking 2.0MBs down or less (Time Warner also sucks).

At this point I'm open to suggestions on a different brand or model.

I'd like to be able to pick it up locally after work tomorrow to minute downtime, but I can save anything significant I'll order online.

Sell me, techies!

Damn. I dont know dude. I was so happy to had found the wrt54gl. I think it's a serious case of bad luck with you and that model of router.. or just for some reason your system and it do not get along or something. Mine have always just been so damn solid and gotten much better connections than any other router I've ever used.

I would strongly advise against anything Netgear. I had a really "nice" one and it was the worst. In fact the only thing worse was trying to deal with the company itself. I guess I'd look for some good reviews of a Belkin model? or Dlink if theyre even still around.

Ours is an older model, I'd have to look up a model name and Phil probably wouldn't buy it, but it sends a perfectly clear signal through 3 stone walls to the top floor of our house. It's pretty much as good in the attic as it is right next to it.

All you still going to go with DD-WRT after the fact? I've used nothing but the SBM models of Ciscos router the last few years, but they've discontinued that line recently. The one that SID posted is a great model as well. Though I'm biased toward the 4200.. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K1EZDS/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1587051753&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=07X4MA2EPZ1B03K5VYNG

All you still going to go with DD-WRT after the fact? I've used nothing but the SBM models of Ciscos router the last few years, but they've discontinued that line recently. The one that SID posted is a great model as well. Though I'm biased toward the 4200.. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K1EZDS/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1587051753&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=07X4MA2EPZ1B03K5VYNG

I'm not sure. Probably, simply because it gives you so much more control, but honestly, I'm sorta past tinkering at this point. When I was living with roommates and using my internet more rigorously (and illegally), we had a real need for that. We also had multiple devices accessing (Xbox, etc) so it was important to get in to tweak it to perfection, but with Kristin it's used almost exclusively for simple internet browsing.

Doesn't look like the Cisco model supports DDWRT, no?

The Linksys model Sid sent earlier does (the 3200).

The other model I'm giving thought to is this opensource Netgear model: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122334

Damn. I dont know dude. I was so happy to had found the wrt54gl. I think it's a serious case of bad luck with you and that model of router.. or just for some reason your system and it do not get along or something. Mine have always just been so damn solid and gotten much better connections than any other router I've ever used.

I would strongly advise against anything Netgear. I had a really "nice" one and it was the worst. In fact the only thing worse was trying to deal with the company itself. I guess I'd look for some good reviews of a Belkin model? or Dlink if theyre even still around.

I've actually had three die (including my parents') in the last two years, not just counting my two. I'd hardly call that "bad luck". I call it outdated hardware.

I've had a Linksys for almost 5 years, with any number of devices connected at 1 time and it's still working fine. What they hell are you doing to these things?

When you flash them with DD-WRT, you have better precision to tailor your router for better signal, strength etc... Stock firmware is just not good enough sometimes, its just like jailbreaking or rooting your phone.

When you flash them with DD-WRT, you have better precision to tailor your router for better signal, strength etc... Stock firmware is just not good enough sometimes, its just like jailbreaking or rooting your phone.
Oh, well then it's not a hardware issue, it's a "you bricked it" issue. He should go get the same router and use it out of the box.

Bingo.

Oh, well then it's not a hardware issue, it's a "you bricked it" issue. He should go get the same router and use it out of the box.

Not at all. Bricking is a completely different term that has to do with fucking up the flashing. When the flash works it's not bricked. Standard firmware for the 54GL is shit.

The one I got my dad was never flashed with DDWRT and it still died, as did the first one I had.

Don't know what to tell you then.

My router usually has 2 phones, 2 laptops and an iPad connected to it actively, and sometimes a PS3. Never had a problem, other than a little slowness which you'd expect. I restarted the thing a handfull of times just because I felt like it. Otherwise it was good to go.

Faster, I get. But stronger? It's one room away from him!

With strenght he's probably talking about data transfer. Most people on G connections transfer via USB flash drives or wired connections because of how slow the wireless allows them to send data back and forth between machines.

Archived