Page 95 of 103 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 2044

Thread: General Religion Thread: Unto the End of Days...

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Dave agreed he didn't feel belittled, or that I was condescending. The difference between either of those and "coming here to shit on religion" is splitting hairs to me. But if you don't want to continue, that's fine. Like I said earlier today, I can only operate from what I think you might mean, since you don't want to actually give me examples of what I'm actually doing wrong. That may fix everything, or it may fix nothing. Until you're willing to do that, it's all I can do.
    It's not splitting hairs, but we'll agree to disagree like everything else in this debate.

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/c...h-will-change/

Breaking down Pew’s numbers by regularity of Mass attendance shows that dissent is more common among people who go to church less often. Weekly Mass attendance is a natural place to divide Catholics by practice — skipping weekly Mass is a mortal sin, so Catholics who don’t attend as often are likely to view the church differently than those who show up every Sunday.

On every controversy that Pew included in its survey, at least half of dissenting Catholics expected that their desired change would probably or definitely come to pass by 2050. Catholics who hoped that current teachings would remain unchanged were similarly confident that the church of the future would be the one they wanted. On all issues but gay marriage, fewer than 40 percent of Catholics holding to current orthodoxy thought a change was likely.

Dissenters who attend Mass regularly turn out to be more optimistic than dissenters with irregular attendance that the church will wind up making the changes they want. Catholics who go to Mass regularly and want change were about 4 percentage points more likely, on average, to say their desired change would definitely happen, compared with Catholics with more irregular attendance records.
    Interesting article. But even more interesting is the actual Pew (no pun intended) study which is a deep look at Catholicism:

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/09/02/u...onal-families/

I found this particularly interesting:

Catholics are divided on the question of whether their Catholic identity is more a matter of religion or ancestry/culture. While 45% say that for them personally, being Catholic is mainly a matter of religion (or of religion and ancestry/culture), 49% say that their Catholic identity is mainly a matter of ancestry or culture (or both). And among those in the “cultural Catholics” category, fully six-in-ten (62%) say that for them, being Catholic is mainly a matter of ancestry and/or culture.

More than half of Catholics (56%) say they sometimes participate in Catholic activities, even if they don’t believe in them, because it is important to their family or friends. Roughly six-in-ten cultural Catholics (63%) and nearly half of ex-Catholics (46%) say this as well

Younger Catholics are much more likely than older Catholics to say they could imagine leaving the Catholic Church someday. Four-in-ten (41%) Catholic adults under age 30 say they could see themselves leaving the church, compared with about a quarter (26%) of those ages 30-64 and just 14% of those ages 65 and older.

When they pray, about half of Catholics say they rely on memorized prayers such as the Hail Mary (21%) or a combination of memorized prayers and “personal conversations” with God (31%). By comparison, eight-in-ten Protestants (82%), including nine-in-ten white evangelical Protestants (89%), say they rely primarily on personal conversations with God.
    If there was ever a "reluctant religion" and one that is just "going through the motions," it's Catholicism. Keep in mind, I say this from my own experiences, and it seems like a lot of people feel that way. I do wonder how often Catholics pray compared to other Christian religions and other religions, period.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/c...h-will-change/

Interesting article. But even more interesting is the actual Pew (no pun intended) study which is a deep look at Catholicism:

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/09/02/u...onal-families/

I found this particularly interesting:

If there was ever a "reluctant religion" and one that is just "going through the motions," it's Catholicism. Keep in mind, I say this from my own experiences, and it seems like a lot of people feel that way. I do wonder how often Catholics pray compared to other Christian religions and other religions, period.
    I think the biggest issue I've seen among Catholics is that some are because they've chosen to be and others say they are because of association. Whether it's what their parents are or what they've surrounded themselves with. It just seems not many that I know, could sit there and tell you why they're Catholics other than "my family is."

I'm a Protestant Christian myself but I don't see this as an issue that is exclusive to Catholicism. I think it applies to every religion and denomination.

Nevertheless, it's understandable as a child to go along with what your parents are trying to instill in you, but there comes a time where all should choose to find their own sense of faith. The lack of doing so contributes to the issue where people claim to be something but have never really experienced what that means.

Putting rosary beads in your car and doing that cross thing (I forgot) the name across your chest doesn't make you catholic. Not if the rest of your life entails doing nothing but tending to your own needs and desires, and dedicating no time to getting to know God.

Again I am making catholic references because of what Ray mentioned. But this is applies to all forms of faith. It's exactly what I've struggled with my entirely life and continue to this day.

There is more to be a Christian , Jew, Muslim etc than just saying so or wearing a trinket. Their comes devotion and a genuine desire to want to sacrifice some of your time to something other than yourself.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    I'm a little confused by the point of all of this. It's a lot of data, but what's the "goal" here? What's the indication — that a sizable number of Catholics are holding out hope for a more progressive Church? They're already getting it with Pope Francis. That is, they'll get more and more of one (compared to what the Church's positions were in years past) the longer Francis is alive and Pope. He's already spoke to a number of progressive topics — atheism (though he later "clarified" that atheists don't go to Heaven after all), climate change, evolution, the Colonial "sins" of Christianity (which he apologized for), etc.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

I'm a little confused by the point of all of this. It's a lot of data, but what's the "goal" here? What's the indication — that a sizable number of Catholics are holding out hope for a more progressive Church? They're already getting it with Pope Francis. That is, they'll get more and more of one (compared to what the Church's positions were in years past) the longer Francis is alive and Pope. He's already spoke to a number of progressive topics — atheism (though he later "clarified" that atheists don't go to Heaven after all), climate change, evolution, the Colonial "sins" of Christianity (which he apologized for), etc.
    Well this is more of a study on the current Catholic's mindset. How they feel about certain topics (approval/disapproval), whether they think the church will change their mind on those topics, and then Pew looked at how those two views differed based on that person's church attendance habits.

The rest is all just contextual data about Catholicism. To me, that large of a number of Catholics claiming their identification is due to culture/ancestry, benefits my ideas that Catholicism is a "casual" religion. And the data showing 52% of Catholics leaving the church at some point, and 41% leaving the practice of Catholicism completely just shocks me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Falco View Post
    I think the biggest issue I've seen among Catholics is that some are because they've chosen to be and others say they are because of association. Whether it's what their parents are or what they've surrounded themselves with. It just seems not many that I know, could sit there and tell you why they're Catholics other than "my family is."

I'm a Protestant Christian myself but I don't see this as an issue that is exclusive to Catholicism. I think it applies to every religion and denomination.

Nevertheless, it's understandable as a child to go along with what your parents are trying to instill in you, but there comes a time where all should choose to find their own sense of faith. The lack of doing so contributes to the issue where people claim to be something but have never really experienced what that means.

Putting rosary beads in your car and doing that cross thing (I forgot) the name across your chest doesn't make you catholic. Not if the rest of your life entails doing nothing but tending to your own needs and desires, and dedicating no time to getting to know God.

Again I am making catholic references because of what Ray mentioned. But this is applies to all forms of faith. It's exactly what I've struggled with my entirely life and continue to this day.

There is more to be a Christian , Jew, Muslim etc than just saying so or wearing a trinket. Their comes devotion and a genuine desire to want to sacrifice some of your time to something other than yourself.
    Yeah, the data definitely points to that. I went to Catholic school up until 12th grade, but I can tell you I have two, maybe three friends of the about 20-30 that I keep in touch with that still actively practice Catholicism, and one does so because his mother forces him to lol

The so-called "cultural Catholics" that the article points out are the ones who would just wear the crucifix on their chain, go to Mass on the major holidays with their families, but still call themselves "Catholics."

Right, also known as "Cafeteria Catholics", "Christmas and Easter" Catholics, etc.

I've said in the past, and still believe, they're actually "worse" for the religion in terms of conviction, but better for society because they tend to hold more progressive, tolerant views on things like gay marriage, marriage for priests, feminism/equality, etc. If they're holding out hope for a better Catholicism, that's fantastic news.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Right, also known as "Cafeteria Catholics", "Christmas and Easter" Catholics, etc.

I've said in the past, and still believe, they're actually "worse" for the religion in terms of conviction, but better for society because they tend to hold more progressive, tolerant views on things like gay marriage, marriage for priests, feminism/equality, etc. If they're holding out hope for a better Catholicism, that's fantastic news.
    Faux-man Catholic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Faux-man Catholic.
    Is that really a term? I've never heard it.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

I made it up.

HA! I was gonna say, it didn't sound genuine.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

I'm a little surprised we haven't had a discussion on Kim Davis at all, but she's being released from jail today:

@CNBCnow: BREAKING: KY clerk jailed after refusing to issue same-sex marriage licences to be released today; ordered not to interfere with licenses.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

What's there to say? She's a fucking idiot.

Yeah, I mean, it's clear as day. Even FOX news, a media outlet that normally sides with believers and tends to have a much more blurred line between the separation of Church and State agreed that she violated her duties and called her and her lawyer "ridiculously stupid", "stunningly obtuse" (especially the lawyer, for questioning whether the Supreme Court has grounds to determine the Constitutionality of our laws) and specifically said that Davis herself is "applying for the job of a martyr".

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Yeah, and then you've got morons like this guy:

@GovMikeHuckabee

I stand w/ Kim Davis & Americans of faith under attack by Washington elites who have nothing but disdain for our faith & the Constitution.

--

Go jump in a lake. These are the same people who think there's a "War on Christmas."

Here's the actual Court Order, ordering her release and the conditions of it from Patheos:

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    Yeah, and then you've got morons like this guy:

@GovMikeHuckabee

I stand w/ Kim Davis & Americans of faith under attack by Washington elites who have nothing but disdain for our faith & the Constitution.

--

Go jump in a lake. These are the same people who think there's a "War on Christmas."
    Huckabee has always been one of them. I can't bring myself to actually read any of his books, but I've regularly listened to his interviews, whether they were on FOX, The Daily Show, Real Time or otherwise.

They tend to begin from the belief that the U.S. is Christian country (it isn't), and that every attempt to maintain separation of Chuch and State is an attack on their persons, and an attack on their "rights". Davis is a prime example of this.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Americans becoming less religious, especially young adults: poll

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0SS0AM20151103

The share of U.S. adults who say they believe in God, while still high compared with other advanced industrial countries, slipped to 89 percent in 2014 from 92 percent in 2007, according to the Pew Research Center's Religious Landscape Study.

The proportion of Americans who say they are "absolutely certain" God exists fell even more, to 63 percent in 2014 from 71 percent in 2007.

The percentage of Americans who pray every day, attend religious services regularly and consider religion important in their lives are down by small, but statistically significant measures, the survey found.

The trend is most pronounced among young adults, with only half of those born from 1990 to 1996 absolutely certain of their belief in God, compared to 71 percent of the "silent generation," or those born from 1928 to 1945.

Younger people also are less likely to pray daily, at 39 percent, compared to "silent generation" adults at 67 percent. Young adults are also much less likely to attend religious services, the survey found.

On the other hand, 77 percent of Americans continue to identify with some religious faith, and those who do are just as committed now as they were in 2007, according to the survey. Two-thirds of religiously affiliated adults say they pray every day and that religion is very important to them, the survey found.

in my opinion, of course.

Goes hand-in-hand with the reducing Christianity figures Pew published early this year, with Christianity being the vastly dominant religion of the nation.

Now the key will be whether or not this type of downward trend sustains?
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Goes hand-in-hand with the reducing Christianity figures Pew published early this year, with Christianity being the vastly dominant religion of the nation.

Now the key will be whether or not this type of downward trend sustains?
    Well, the speculation at the bottom of the article was that the anti-gay, anti-science agenda of a lot of politicians could be a leading cause for this trend.

If that mentality continues, I'd say we'd see the downward trend continue as well.

Page 95 of 103 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 ... LastLast