Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Christopher Hitchens Passes Away at Age 62

Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Actually, she is, but you're not going to be able to see it because you're blinded by how personal the matter is to you. The fact of the matter is that your father-in-law's oldest sister is irrelevant to the Mother Theresa discussion.

Refusing to provide anesthetics during surgeries and medical procedures is morally and ethically corrupt. If not for her blistering faith she would actually have done so having understood how vital pain management is when healing others experiencing it.

I'm not even going to get into the financial question marks that surround her "charities" where millions of dollars never seemed to make it to any of these proposed areas of struggle and yet went completely unaccounted for.
    I agree .
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    For any of his readers who haven't yet, here's the last piece Chris wrote before passing:

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/20...itchens-201201
    ach du lieber.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Hitch Remembered ... Post on Vanity Fair evening

NY Post

Hitch remembered with wit
    Last Updated: 7:57 AM, April 21, 2012
    Posted: 12:15 AM, April 21, 2012

| More Print
    Christopher Hitchens was remembered as much for his “monumental legacy” as his ability to “hold up under the most liquid of late-night libations” at Vanity Fair’s memorial for him.

Movie stars, poets, playwrights, physicists and family members gathered at Cooper Union yesterday to remember the contrarian who was once “lashed . . . across the buttocks with a rolled-up parliamentary order paper” by Margaret Thatcher during a political argument.

The 2 1/2 -hour ceremony was rife with readings of author, journalist and provocateur Hitchens’ wisdom on topics from eating dog in North Korea (“in a Pyongyang restaurant never order a doggie bag”), to getting in shape (“walking is overrated”), drinking (“cheap booze is a false economy”) and cigarettes (“smoking is a vice, I will admit, but one has to have a hobby”).

Speakers included Graydon Carter, Tom Stoppard, Salman Rushdie, Ian McEwan, Christopher Buckley, Sean Penn and Olivia Wilde.

Martin Amis said Hitchens, who died at age 62 in December, often referred to himself in the third person as “The Hitch,” with sayings such as, “Wherever there’s injustice . . . the pen of The Hitch will flash from the scabbard.” Amis added that the two literary lions’ “idea of happiness was to take a bottle of whiskey into [a violent movie] like ‘Sexy Beast’ or ‘Scum.’ ”

Bagpipers played outside as the speakers later headed to the Waverly Inn for a fitting, liquidenhanced continuation of the tributes.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

The artist formerly known as Mr. Smith Junior Division
    Read This last night. Its awesome to see that he's being appreciated on some level after his passing.
    Hidden Content

Did everything just taste purple for a second?

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    I really miss Hitch. I hate looking at my book shelf and seeing all his books and realizing there won't be any more.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Merry Hitchmas, everyone.

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division paddynyc's Avatar
    He was so funny and loved his edgy style. I remember reading God Is Not Great on a flight and you wouldn't believe the number of comments I received about the book. Of course, not good.
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

It's funny. I read that mostly on the subway during my commute, and I actually had only positive things said and asked of it. Same with The God Delusion.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division paddynyc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    It's funny. I read that mostly on the subway during my commute, and I actually had only positive things said and asked of it. Same with The God Delusion.
    I loved when he wrote in Vanity Fair his articles were great. He also had a great voice
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division 4EverRangerFrank's Avatar

Christopher Hitchens Passes Away at Age 62

*delete*

One of his very best speeches, ever.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123