• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Game of Thrones (TV Show Discussion Only) *DO NOT POST SPOILERS*

Phil

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. The Wall will fall and the Night King will ride the newly "Nighted" Viserion over it, burning a massive hole through it to allow the Army of the Dead to come piling through ready to lay waste to Westeros.

2. Jon and Dany are totally gonna bone…

3. Before Jon finds out he's not actually Jon Stark, he's Jahaerys Targaryen. That'll make for an awkward second encounter with Aunt Daenerys. Or, you know, maybe not? I mean, Targs + incest is no big thing.

4. The final scene is Bran, greenseeing, opening his eyes to reveal bright blue Walker eyes. This will either confirm or strongly reinforce the idea that NK = BS.

Definitely agree with the first 3. The last one I'm not on board with yet. It was nice not seeing him at all this last episode. What a mush he turned out to be.

@So Nashty

Maybe Arya does it, Sansa surely isn't in on it though. She's back to being the dumb little bird she always was. AGAIN.:thumbsdown: Of course they might pull a counter-plot by her out of their asses next week, which doesn't make what we've seen so far this season any better.

Both Stark daughters behave like it's still Season 1. Just more creepy in case of Arya.

And as a whole this weeks episode was really bad. Everything is telegraphed now and the teleporting got even more ridiculous.

Still a good Show, it's just disappointing that they are clearly not able to keep it up, without Martin.

@So Nashty

Maybe Arya does it, Sansa surely isn't in on it though. She's back to being the dumb little bird she always was. AGAIN.:thumbsdown: Of course they might pull a counter-plot by her out of their asses next week, which doesn't make what we've seen so far this season any better.

Both Stark daughters behave like it's still Season 1. Just more creepy in case of Arya.

And as a whole this weeks episode was really bad. Everything is telegraphed now and the teleporting got even more ridiculous.

Still a good Show, it's just disappointing that they are clearly not able to keep it up, without Martin.

I talk about this anytime I talk about the show with anyone. The minute the TV writers took over this show every drip of interesting character development stopped, to the point where I hardly care about them anymore. This show is about how there are no winners in war, and how you generally have reasons to root for people on both sides, many of whom are basically not evil. Gone are the moments of tense internal conflict like when Bron was trying to shoot down the dragon, where you weren't sure what you wanted the outcome to be. This show thrived on this when they were still on Martin's content, and now it's a hodgepodge of nonsense that they're trying to tie together for no reason other than the fact that they started ridiculous plotlines by accident.

Martin's content was unbelievably nuanced and hid behind the guise of sex, blood, and war. This show did a fabulous job bringing that nuance to life in the first few seasons. Now? Not even in the same realm. Even the sex, blood, and war is worse. I'm ready for it to end; at this point I'm only watching because I want to see how the story ends.

So many holes in that episode.

A crow somehow delivers a message across the continent then Dany rides a dragon back across the continent so she can arrive the exact moment Jon and company are going to be overrun. But that all happens before they freeze to death of course.

Intelligent characters are suddenly incredibly stupid as well. Let's ignore the Hound letting the AOD know that the ice had refrozen by his massively underthrown rock. Facing a charging horde and impossible odds, they don't break the ice around them to buy more time for Jon's plan of contacting Dany to work. They decide to fight? Except the Hound does break the ice under a Wight in the heat of battle. Why doesn't he then call that out to the rest as a potential plan?

Dany shows up, sees how well the torching of the AOD is going and has already protected Jon's group so rather than maybe ending this entire war right now, she lands to get Jon's group. The other dragons stop breathing fire, they just circle. Jon start's defending against the Wights while the others mount the dragon. Yet he's moving further in than he needs to for no good reason other than to separate himself. And Drogon doesn't help him by breathing fire at the Wights?

The Night King spear chucks a flying dragon out of the air rather than the one closer, sitting still on the ground assisting the group he just spent days waiting to kill? After he kills the dragon, he doesn't immediately get another spear to try to kill another one? He waits for everyone to have their horrored looks before getting another one. Dany, seeing the Night King, doesn't tell Drogon to breath fire at him? She just sits there staring?

I won't go through the Sansa/Arya scenes because I'm guessing there must be more to them and they were overdone precisely to trick Littlefinger. Heck, I bet Brienne isn't really gone to Kings' Landing for...well, a meeting that wouldn't be called until Jon/Tyrion showed up with proof of the AOD.

The only impressive thing was the AOD blacksmiths forging those massive chains to drag the dead dragon out of the ice. Who said manufacturing jobs were gone?

It had a good run, although as has been noted, the show's been weaker after moving past the source material. I think this will be the episode everyone points to when they talk about how GoT jumped the shark. It almost made it.

Dude your digging too deep. What do you want them to do to kill the time it would really take to send a raven to Dragon Stone and have Dany respond? They have a limited amount of 1 hour episodes...

And you watched the Night King walk through the dragon fire burning on the ground...the fire won't kill them.

I'm pretty sure that his point was simply that these writers have run out of good ideas, and instead are focusing on an audience more concerned with the physics of whether or not fire can kill an undead necromancer as opposed to, you know, the interesting character development and portrayal of conflict that made the show good in the first place.

Dude your digging too deep. What do you want them to do to kill the time it would really take to send a raven to Dragon Stone and have Dany respond? They have a limited amount of 1 hour episodes...

And you watched the Night King walk through the dragon fire burning on the ground...the fire won't kill them.

He didn't walk through the dragon fire. He walked up to the dragon fire and his "cold" pushed it away. That's not the same thing as a direct hit and it's also not something Dany would have known in advance anyway.

My issue wasn't the time it took to send the Raven, it's that we got to that point to begin with. Once we did, then treat the audience with respect. Figure out a creative way to show the time passing. Instead, they cheat the audience by making a day pass, rather than the three or four it would have taken. It cheats the characters as well, just waiting would be a struggle. They paid lip service to it with The Hound making his dumb decision out of bordom.

And as Valriera pointed out, it's the writers being out of good ideas to advance the story so they're going with ill formed ones. This was the danger of the series passing the books. RR crafts these characters with incredible detail. The story is the people in it, not just what's happening to them.

Everyone's shallow now. Dany, having masterfully been drawn to evolve from a frightened child to someone worthy of assending the throne because she is the people's choice is now reverting to a petulant implusive child when she's right on the cusp of fullfilling her dream. Tyrion is a school teacher chatising her rather than the insightful imp. Jon is an idiot who just charges forward towards danger so long as it seems to fit the most basic example of "heroic" behavior. The plan to get a Wight, dumb in and of itself, turns into a buddy comedy heading north of the Wall?

This is paint-by-numbers, which is a shame.

Also, this isn't just a first impression. I was so disappointed with the episode, I watched it again to see if maybe I missed some things. I didn't. It was just poorly written.

He didn't walk through the dragon fire. He walked up to the dragon fire and his "cold" pushed it away. That's not the same thing as a direct hit and it's also not something Dany would have known in advance anyway.

My issue wasn't the time it took to send the Raven, it's that we got to that point to begin with. Once we did, then treat the audience with respect. Figure out a creative way to show the time passing. Instead, they cheat the audience by making a day pass, rather than the three or four it would have taken. It cheats the characters as well, just waiting would be a struggle. They paid lip service to it with The Hound making his dumb decision out of bordom.

And as Valriera pointed out, it's the writers being out of good ideas to advance the story so they're going with ill formed ones. This was the danger of the series passing the books. RR crafts these characters with incredible detail. The story is the people in it, not just what's happening to them.

Everyone's shallow now. Dany, having masterfully been drawn to evolve from a frightened child to someone worthy of assending the throne because she is the people's choice is now reverting to a petulant implusive child when she's right on the cusp of fullfilling her dream. Tyrion is a school teacher chatising her rather than the insightful imp. Jon is an idiot who just charges forward towards what ever danger seems to fit the most basic example of "heroic" behavior. The plan to get a Wight, dumb in and of itself, turns into a buddy comedy heading north of the Wall?

This is paint-by-numbers, which is a shame.

I agree, but even from the very beginning there has been far less detail than the books and many things and characters from the books have been left out of the show. I just think its an unrealistic expectation to hold the show to the books. I'm not mad at the show for what they've done, I'm mad at Martin for dragging ass.

So many holes in that episode.

A crow somehow delivers a message across the continent then Dany rides a dragon back across the continent so she can arrive the exact moment Jon and company are going to be overrun. But that all happens before they freeze to death of course.

Intelligent characters are suddenly incredibly stupid as well. Let's ignore the Hound letting the AOD know that the ice had refrozen by his massively underthrown rock. Facing a charging horde and impossible odds, they don't break the ice around them to buy more time for Jon's plan of contacting Dany to work. They decide to fight? Except the Hound does break the ice under a Wight in the heat of battle. Why doesn't he then call that out to the rest as a potential plan?

Dany shows up, sees how well the torching of the AOD is going and has already protected Jon's group so rather than maybe ending this entire war right now, she lands to get Jon's group. The other dragons stop breathing fire, they just circle. Jon start's defending against the Wights while the others mount the dragon. Yet he's moving further in than he needs to for no good reason other than to separate himself. And Drogon doesn't help him by breathing fire at the Wights?

The Night King spear chucks a flying dragon out of the air rather than the one closer, sitting still on the ground assisting the group he just spent days waiting to kill? After he kills the dragon, he doesn't immediately get another spear to try to kill another one? He waits for everyone to have their horrored looks before getting another one. Dany, seeing the Night King, doesn't tell Drogon to breath fire at him? She just sits there staring?

I won't go through the Sansa/Arya scenes because I'm guessing there must be more to them and they were overdone precisely to trick Littlefinger. Heck, I bet Brienne isn't really gone to Kings' Landing for...well, a meeting that wouldn't be called until Jon/Tyrion showed up with proof of the AOD.

The only impressive thing was the AOD blacksmiths forging those massive chains to drag the dead dragon out of the ice. Who said manufacturing jobs were gone?

It had a good run, although as has been noted, the show's been weaker after moving past the source material. I think this will be the episode everyone points to when they talk about how GoT jumped the shark. It almost made it.

I agree they are struggling mightily with the kind's of details the show was reknowned for paying attention to now that they're past the source material entirely.

I'm fully invested regardless, so I'm in it to the end, but the pacing issue is beyond a minor annoyance. It's so bad that even the Director admitted it wasn't possible.

http://www.avclub.com/article/game-thrones-director-admits-shows-timeline-strain-259742

I agree, but even from the very beginning there has been far less detail than the books and many things and characters from the books have been left out of the show. I just think its an unrealistic expectation to hold the show to the books. I'm not mad at the show for what they've done, I'm mad at Martin for dragging ass.

This is correct too. I heard a few people talking about how the show shouldn't have diverged from the source material, blah blah blah. Martin dragged his ass on finishing these and frankly doesn't deserve the royalties he's getting now for use of the brand. It's clearly no longer his material, it would be far more well written if it were, and I too am mad at him for dropping the ball. This is not a case of the show betraying the source material or anything, since there no longer is material to go off, and Martin is to blame there. I will enjoy the last few episodes and look forward to seeing how the story ends but I think this all amounts to GoT ending as simply a good TV series and not so much more than that.

That's fair as well. I don't expect it to stick to the books, I just feel like, and I've started rewatching it from the beginning, the details were what made the show. Those details are missing in this attempt to quickly advance the story line. And I get it that they need to do that in order to wrap the show up. But there's a way to do that while still not feeling like a cheap knockoff from the earlier version of the show. It takes very strong writing, which the show had for a long time. I just feel like it's lacking now.

That's fair as well. I don't expect it to stick to the books, I just feel like, and I've started rewatching it from the beginning, the details were what made the show. Those details are missing in this attempt to quickly advance the story line. And I get it that they need to do that in order to wrap the show up. But there's a way to do that while still not feeling like a cheap knockoff from the earlier version of the show. It takes very strong writing, which the show had for a long time. I just feel like it's lacking now.

There's just too much story to tell for 14 or so episodes. I get that the producers of hte show didnt sign up to write the story but at the same time you have done such a marvelous job of it so far why rush through it at the tail end? There should, at minimum, be another season to wrap things up. Plenty of blame to go around for everyone and of course its the fans that suffer in the end. Like someone else said just enjoy it and watch for the ending and let it be I guess.

So how would the Walkers have passed the wall, if they had not been gifted a Dragon? :D

Of course the reveal comes over Aunt and Nephew practicing their Incest. lol

Winterfell mess ends in Baelish getting cut out, I can live with that, though they could have done that better, had they not wanted to keep the audience in doubt till the end.

Everything went pretty much as expected I'd say. Gotta still hope that Sam brought that book, otherwise this could be a hint that Jon dies next season. This time for good.

So how would the Walkers have passed the wall, if they had not been gifted a Dragon? :D

Of course the reveal comes over Aunt and Nephew practicing their Incest. lol

Winterfell mess ends in Baelish getting cut out, I can live with that, though they could have done that better, had they not wanted to keep the audience in doubt till the end.

Everything went pretty much as expected I'd say. Gotta still hope that Sam brought that book, otherwise this could be a hint that Jon dies next season. This time for good.

1. Well, one, define gifted. If Bran = NK, then he was always getting that dragon, and it makes sense why he waited days for Dany to arrive to help Jon's super team knowing he'd down one in the process. But also in the opening, the sea by Eastwatch froze over. My guess is they'd have "brought the cold" and walked around the outer edge of the wall.

2. So well done.

3. Agreed. But in a lot of ways, what was left for Sansa to do this season with Jon being King in the North and off attempting to build the army to fight the Army of the Dead? They needed to involve her somehow. The end, IMO, makes up for the kind of sloppy storytelling otherwise.

4. Which book, the ones he took from the Citadel? I'd imagine he has them all with him.

I thought it was a solid episode which allowed for a little more dialogue between the actors. I did laugh at how warm Bran was to Sam. He got a warmer reception than Bran gave his sisters! I am still super excited for the series final season. I'm very curious of the role that Jamie will play in it now that he's out from between his sister's thighs.

1. Well, one, define gifted. If Bran = NK, then he was always getting that dragon, and it makes sense why he waited days for Dany to arrive to help Jon's super team knowing he'd down one in the process. But also in the opening, the sea by Eastwatch froze over. My guess is they'd have "brought the cold" and walked around the outer edge of the wall.

2. So well done.

3. Agreed. But in a lot of ways, what was left for Sansa to do this season with Jon being King in the North and off attempting to build the army to fight the Army of the Dead? They needed to involve her somehow. The end, IMO, makes up for the kind of sloppy storytelling otherwise.

4. Which book, the ones he took from the Citadel? I'd imagine he has them all with him.

1. I wonder why Bran = NK is o popular a theory. I wouldn't like it, time-travel highjinks would weaken the story.

3. The end does make up for it, though it's still annoying to have her be the little bird all season and then magically pull that reveal out of her sleeve. Though mainly last weeks scenese with Arya and Sansa remain the weak link. Since except the audience no one could have witnessed it, so who did they try to deceive?... Though I guess you could argue they were being careful about possible LF spies.

4.The book that states that Rhaegar re-married. It was one that mainly talked about "the shits the High-Septon took" and stairs and windows in the Sept of Bealor. Since Sam was looking for thinks related to the White-Walkers he might not have taken that specific book with him. Who will believe a magial creepy kid and a wannabe-Maester that Jons real name is Aegon Targaeryen? That's why I wonder if it will be politically relevant at all or whether he will die for good.

1. I wonder why Bran = NK is o popular a theory. I wouldn't like it, time-travel highjinks would weaken the story.

3. The end does make up for it, though it's still annoying to have her be the little bird all season and then magically pull that reveal out of her sleeve. Though mainly last weeks scenese with Arya and Sansa remain the weak link. Since except the audience no one could have witnessed it, so who did they try to deceive?... Though I guess you could argue they were being careful about possible LF spies.

4.The book that states that Rhaegar re-married. It was one that mainly talked about "the shits the High-Septon took" and stairs and windows in the Sept of Bealor. Since Sam was looking for thinks related to the White-Walkers he might not have taken that specific book with him. Who will believe a magial creepy kid and a wannabe-Maester that Jons real name is Aegon Targaeryen? That's why I wonder if it will be politically relevant at all or whether he will die for good.

Has it been long enough that we can stop using spoiler tags?

Anyway...

1) Agree I hate a time-travel sub plot. It has to be handled so carefully to not be full of holes. And I don't trust GRRM-less HBO writers to not fuck it up.

3) The entire set up wasted way too much screen time, while using the most underhanded literary device to create intrigue (hidden dialogue with disceptive public dialogue) for something that could have been handled so much more cleanly. Sure, Sansa needs to be careful because the Vale road to Jon's defense and technically Littlefinger was in charge there. But at any time she could have played the "he pushed Lysa through the moon door" card. And oh yeah, he handed me over to the Ramsey for no good reason. There really was no need for the "he betrayed Ned" story from Bran to be the tipping point.

4) The book only says (according to Gilly) that Rhaegar had his marriage annulled so he could have a secret marriage in Dorne. Who he was remarried to and that she was happy and willing was only seen by Bran through his warg/time travel. So it will still be a tough sell.

In any event, notice how none of the girls ever talk about their mother? :D It's just old Eddard everytime a parent comes up.

LOL. No one liked Catelyn.

• 11 months later...

They are saying the start range of Season 8 is getting pushed back from April. One of the show runners said that it won't be out in time to make it available for any of next years awards.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/game-of-thrones-season-8-release-date-later_us_5b7b3bbde4b018b93e96beca

And, hey, a release earlier in the year makes sense. HBO’s president of programming, Casey Bloys, said the show would be premiering in the first half of 2019. And in order to qualify for the Emmy Awards in ’19, a series must air between June 1, 2018, and May 31, 2019. So if HBO wanted the final season of “Game of Thrones” to be considered in the next Emmys, it would have to air before the end of May.