• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Game of Thrones (TV Show Discussion Only) *DO NOT POST SPOILERS*

Phil

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and this sums up some of our thoughts...it's not just me

"the sudden disappearance of the Night King and his legions, and more importantly the sudden disappearance of any apparent possibility to answer questions about the fantastical elements of this fantasy story, strike a sour note. When handled with care and imagination, the Night King and his armies brought horror and dread and fascinating possibilities to the screen. They also inspired the kind of theorizing among fans that propels interest between episodes and seasons.

Now they’re gone, erased in a cool but unearned climax. Arya’s winning blow is symbolic of the entire White Walker arc on the show: often visually stunning, at times mighty surprising, but ultimately unfulfilling, yielding even more unanswered questions in its aftermath. Thrones is moving on, but so many aspects of lore still linger. At this point, it seems quixotic to wish that they’ll ever be addressed. ■

"

https://www.theringer.com/game-of-thrones/2019/4/29/18522174/r-i-p-night-king-we-wish-we-learned-your-secrets

and there it is....the show NK is nothing more than death in D&D's eyes....ancillary to the root story

"Weiss told Deadline:

I don’t think of the Night King as a villain as much as, Death. He is not like Joffrey, or [Ramsay]. He’s not really human anymore. To me, evil comes when you have a choice between that and good, and you choose the wrong way. The Night King doesn’t have a choice; he was created that way, and that’s what he is. In some ways, he’s just death, coming for everyone in the story, coming for all of us. In some ways, it’s appropriate he doesn’t speak. What’s death going to say? Anything would diminish him. He’s just a force of destruction. I don’t think we’ve ever been tempted to write dialogue for the Night King. Anything he said would be anticlimactic."

and there it is....the show NK is nothing more than death in D&D's eyes....ancillary to the root story

"Weiss told Deadline:

I don’t think of the Night King as a villain as much as, Death. He is not like Joffrey, or [Ramsay]. He’s not really human anymore. To me, evil comes when you have a choice between that and good, and you choose the wrong way. The Night King doesn’t have a choice; he was created that way, and that’s what he is. In some ways, he’s just death, coming for everyone in the story, coming for all of us. In some ways, it’s appropriate he doesn’t speak. What’s death going to say? Anything would diminish him. He’s just a force of destruction. I don’t think we’ve ever been tempted to write dialogue for the Night King. Anything he said would be anticlimactic."

This is a huge cop out.

Daeny about to go full mad king on Cersei now. Cant wait for next episode.

Emilia Clarke said in an interview that the next episode is the best one. they have basically 3hours to tie everything up, its going to get interesting. I also just heard on 1010 WINS that HBO is going to have 3 spinoffs from GoT.

Ehh... I have given up hope that this show will have an amazing finish. These last 3 episodes have been sloppy and all over the place. The story has gone predictable and stale. Grrm gave the double D?s bullet points on how the story ends and it literally feels like all they?re doing is trying to hit these bullet points this last season and the current one.

I am just going to enjoy them because they?re still entertaining and because the story needs an ending but I will say that I?m highly disappointed that they couldn?t cap this show off with the same

Energy and dedication they devoted to the rest of the show. Also I can?t wait for Cersei to dieeeee.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I’m highly disappointed that they couldn’t cap this show off with the same

Energy and dedication they devoted to the rest of the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Kit Harrington posted a raging tweet that the cast and crew did put their heart and soul in it and I believe that. They're just stuck with shitty writing

The reality is not everyone was going to be happy no matter what the ending was here. I thought some things were either a bit underwhelming or over the top at times, but overall I thought the story might end up at this point with Daenerys going mad.

We've seen Daenarys' regression into this for a while. I think Varus' comment towards the beginning was telling about how it was going to go. "They say every time a Targaryen is born, the gods flip a coin". Well, Jon is the good one so Daenerys must not be. Add in the fact that all of her closest friends have died, and Jon distancing himself romantically. Ticking time bomb.

Pretty contrived. Everyone was rooting for the poor little violated girl with the good heart, who succeeded and came out on top over so many "bad" things went mad in two minutes because she was scorned by her lover? Totally flipping her entire arc? Lame.

And if the show has truly devolved to fan service why didn't we get the gruesome Cersei death almost everyone was waiting for? I get the metaphor of all of Kings Landing crashing down on her but....and how did Jamie make it all the way back up to her with a stab wound in the gut?

I say next week Dany kills Jon, Arya kills Dany and the Stark sisters with Tyrion build new a free society. Although Sansa still has the dark side of her that may do her in as well.

Again, visually stunning, but at breakneck speed, which is the fundamental problem here more than logic and reason.

In effect, Thrones is like the perfect record. Except, just as you reach the final song, instead of experiencing the crescendo, you’re forced to listen to it at 5x speed. All of a sudden Beethoven becomes Alvin & The Chipmunks. This is where we are, and it's a shame.

Take it away, Alvin!

If it were up to me, I'd have split this season into two six-episode long A/B seasons. A tackling the entire Night King storyline and culminating with his death, and B the battle for power + Dany's descent into madness. I'm not sure you'd have to change a thing in terms of the end result, or even the path of getting there, and it was solve the fundamental issue, which was pace.

Not really much to add here from my side. Once the Bells rang and they stopped talking, it became a visually stunning short-movie about a city being sacked and the fate of the people and some selected individuals during it.

Everything before that was just as Phil already said, the same rushed mess the whole season has already been.

Sticking out of it as extra bad this week: The pointlessness of the whole Jaime-arc. Going back to die with Cersei after Brienne? really?

So Clegane-Bowl at least was good I guess? I mean his brother was already dead, how else could it go and end?

Not really much to add here from my side. Once the Bells rang and they stopped talking, it became a visually stunning short-movie about a city being sacked and the fate of the people and some selected individuals during it.

Everything before that was just as Phil already said, the same rushed mess the whole season has already been.

Sticking out of it as extra bad this week: The pointlessness of the whole Jaime-arc. Going back to die with Cersei after Brienne? really?

So Clegane-Bowl at least was good I guess? I mean his brother was already dead, how else could it go and end?

Yea - some of the stuff that has gotten us to this episode hasn't made a lot of sense.

But the episode itself was brilliant.

I'm actually quite alright with this. I just wish their death was more gruesome. The only element of their deaths I disliked was the sympathy Jamie's return invoked given his near face-turn in recent seasons. Cersei deserved none of it but likely was given some semblance of it from the audience.

Cleganebowl was also quite good. The symbolism of their hatred for one another both born in and dying in the fire is not lost on me.