• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Game of Thrones (TV Show Discussion Only) *DO NOT POST SPOILERS*

Phil

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More poop than I expected, tbh.

This was a good season intro. Covered a lot of ground and was at least entertaining enough that it didn't have just the feel of a catchup episode. I'd imagine things are going to move very, very quickly now.

The stage is now set for Jon to meet Dany, Bran to, essentially, be the three eyed raven, and for the Hound to go north of the wall. That's a lot to cover in one ep.

Because (as mentioned before) dragon glass heals his condition, it's shown in the same episode. It's almost like they have professional writers.

Which could imply he still has a place in the show.

No kidding.

What I'm saying is that he doesn't add anything. He has a place, technically, but he doesn't need to, so the whole scene was pointless and any time spent on Sam finding out how to treat him is a colossal waste of time.

How do you know that? Obviously, if they're keeping him around he will have some sort of purpose to the remaining story.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Why? He's never had a particular purpose. He has no influence over the plot and never really has.

I mean what do you think's going to happen - he's going to show up and kill Jon Snow or somethign?

Which is?

Don't you think he's going to somehow come back to Daenerys? Probably save her in some way? Or give her information about dragon glass? Dude could have a huge role in this whole thing. He's got a hard on for Daenerys. Good or bad, he's totally not out of the story. IMO a major factor.

Don't you think he's going to somehow come back to Daenerys? Probably save her in some way? Or give her information about dragon glass? Dude could have a huge role in this whole thing. He's got a hard on for Daenerys. Good or bad, he's totally not out of the story. IMO a major factor.

That's not a role. That's just carrying along a character for an "a-ha" moment. There's nothing that he could influence that couldn't happen without him being there.

That's not a role. That's just carrying along a character for an "a-ha" moment. There's nothing that he could influence that couldn't happen without him being there.

How is that any different than Theon, Brienne, Greyworm, Missandre, Tormund and a host of others? At this point, you could argue that Danny, John, Cersei and the Night King are the only characters who are vital to the story. Everyone else is just helping them move along towards wherever they'll ultimately end up.

How is that any different than Theon, Brienne, Greyworm, Missandre, Tormund and a host of others? At this point, you could argue that Danny, John, Cersei and the Night King are the only characters who are vital to the story. Everyone else is just helping them move along towards wherever they'll ultimately end up.

I would say that, like Jorah, Theon and Brienne both get too much screen time and don't really add anything. Greyworm, Missandre and Tormund at least have a specific "job" that pushes Dany and Jon towards the Night King.

But the thing that's strikingly different about Jorah from all of these folks is that, his arc could be over. Like Gendry rowing off into oblivion never to be heard from again (probably), the show is not any better because they didn't do the same with Jorah. Had the last we ever seen him been Dany sending him off, we'd be fine. The others are all a part of the setting now and it's no inconvenience to show them, but to get to Jorah, he has to have his own specific plot line. That seems like a waste of time. Are we dying to see how Daario and the Sons are ruling? Does anybody miss Jaqen H'ghar? Bronn? I mean, the Jorah plot has gotten more screen time than Bran.

For what it's worth, I think that this season is going to get rid of a lot of these ancillary characters. The show is barreling towards next season being all about fighting the Night King, and these plotlines are going to have to go away. The opportunity to do that with Jorah was already there, so I don't understand why he's involved now. I mean, if they want him to fight in the North, they could have re-introduced him 8 or 9 episodes from now, given two minutes to how he and Sam healed him, and been all caught up.

Given episode two's story advance, Jorah's purpose is to progress Samwell's understanding and practice of using dragonglass, which itself is going to be a critical resource in the War to Come.

Also, Gendry will return this season, as I understand it. If you recall, he is one of only a handful of swordsmiths in Westeros who know how to forge Valyrian steel, which is going to be a critical component of weaponizing the realm against the Wights.

Given episode two's story advance, Jorah's purpose is to progress Samwell's understanding and practice of using dragonglass, which itself is going to be a critical resource in the War to Come.

Also, Gendry will return this season, as I understand it. If you recall, he is one of only a handful of swordsmiths in Westeros who know how to forge Valyrian steel, which is going to be a critical component of weaponizing the realm against the Wights.

Also, to affirm the belief / understanding of dragon glass' abilities.

It's also possible that the disease could be used as a weapon and/or Valyria could ve salvaged which has steel worth more than the Royal bank, who won't be backing her.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but that would give Dany just about 1 representative (in some form) from every major family?

This is getting a bit silly, now Euron hass time to be in three places at the same time basically, while Tyrion demonstrates that he might be a politician, but is a horrible strategos, though of course no one could predict a teleporting fleet.

And Bran could at least TRY to explain stuff.

This is getting a bit silly, now Euron hass time to be in three places at the same time basically, while Tyrion demonstrates that he might be a politician, but is a horrible strategos, though of course no one could predict a teleporting fleet.

And Bran could at least TRY to explain stuff.

In all fairness they didn't show Euron at casterly rock so it may have just been a part of his fleet. I was more concerned with how fast he had built those ships after yara took off with a bunch of them.

I don't get too upset over the "jet-packing" though, the shows producers said they may have to do some of it since the show only has a handful of episodes left and there is still a ton of story to tell.