Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Tortorella: "Girardi one of most underrated players in the game"

It's not so much me as it is Roenick. He's good. BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by momentum View Post
    I don't know, i see what you're saying but i thought he was ROCK solid last year as well, I'm on the record complaining about the contract we gave him thinking he was overpaid, but also on the record eating crow saying i was completely wrong and he deserved every penny he got. Pretty much since the contract signing I think he's been playing extremely good hockey. Before then he was decent but didn't stand out, last year and this year so far he's so good that you notice him all the time.
    I can agree with this as well. He signed 2 summers ago, to a contract that he's now worth. That was a gamble. Some people thought he got overpaid, some people thought he was worth it at the time. I didn't think he was, but now he is. He got better.

In Vigneault, Veritas BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    No, he hasn't. Because fans overhype him. So what if we has involved in trade talks? That just reinforces the fact that fans think he has value, just some think he has more than others.

Also, that word you used wasn't the nicest one to describe his critiques, so I edited it to a more user friendly one.
    You'd be right in many, many cases, but if there is ONE THING Girardi cannot be called, it's overhyped. This guy went from undrafted surefire bust to top 2 defender. There was ZERO hype with him at the jump, there was ZERO hype with him afterwards, and there has been a lot of "oh fuck, we're dead, no Staal" this year.

Girardi deserves this praise - he's on a totally different level this year.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Quote Originally Posted by Rhommy View Post
    You'd be right in many, many cases, but if there is ONE THING Girardi cannot be called, it's overhyped. This guy went from undrafted surefire bust to top 2 defender. There was ZERO hype with him at the jump, there was ZERO hype with him afterwards, and there has been a lot of "oh fuck, we're dead, no Staal" this year.

Girardi deserves this praise - he's on a totally different level this year.
    Would you agree that Girardi is playing better now than he ever has? I will go ahead and assume you will say yes.

That being said, the praise he is getting now was bestowed in equal volume on him for 2+ years now. So, in my opinion, 2 years ago he was over-hyped. Now he is playing on a level commensurate with his hype from back then.

Fur now BSBH Rookie
    Girardi plays his best hockey the first 2 months of the season. We had this EXACT thread last year, following a summer of being called out for watching Gaborik take a beating. By the end of the season, we had more bash threads going again.

Is he playing great hockey right now? Yes
    Did he play like this in past seasons? No (not for this length)
    Will his level of play be at this level in 2 months?

Moderator Junior Division
    Would you agree that Girardi is playing better now than he ever has? I will go ahead and assume you will say yes.

That being said, the praise he is getting now was bestowed in equal volume on him for 2+ years now. So, in my opinion, 2 years ago he was over-hyped. Now he is playing on a level commensurate with his hype from back then.
    What praise two years ago?
    The heavy talk of Girardi came from the summer before last.
    I recall most posters simply saying he wasn't that good.

He signed for 3.3 million per year.
    So far he's played that contract last year and this year.

He did NOT just start to earn it.
    He earned it last year, and this year so far has exceeded play of 3.3 million per year.
    Last edited by Puck Head; 11-10-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Girardi is growing on me game by game. But here's my issue...It isn't with Girardi. It's with the people who shower him with this lavish praise, like he's the 2nd coming of Chris Chelios. "Beast", "warrior", etc. And also anyone claiming that this is the same Girardi that got ragged on for the last few years is...Well, I won't say anything. I'll just say that he's playing on a whole other level right now, that he's never played before, and if anyone claims they felt he was capable of this the whole time, well I feel pretty good about saying they were fibbing.

He's only now starting to live up to they hype people put him at for the last 2 years, IMO.
    I think alot of it has to do with him assuming a ton of responsibility with Staal out. Ever since those 2 were paired, Girardi has looked alittle out of sorts in games Staal missed due to injury or illness. And that was something people began ripping him a bit for last year; that Staal covered up alot for him.

And I'm sure many didn't know what to expect from a Staal-less Girardi this year. But, again, I feel he has just assumed responsibility and continued to keep his game as simple as possible. He has been outstanding so far. Just hope he keeps it up.

Senior Member Junior Division
    If it was up to me I'd sign him to a 10 year contract. I like him that much.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division jjweimar's Avatar
    wouldn't mind a five year 20 mil contract for him coming up.5 for 22.5 tops though

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth Junior Division
    Article/picture: FAIL

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl

Rangers defenseman Dan Girardi has Madison Square Garden faithful backing his write-in candidacy. (Getty Images)

Prust is now a D-man. Good stuff.

Last edited by Parsley; 11-16-2011 at 05:42 PM.

They obviously confused chins.

Senior Member Bantam Division Herman_NYRBlog's Avatar
    Nice find. I'm using this and I'll credit the find to you. Thanks.
    ww.nyrangersblog.com

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Or as Torts would call them ... his jizz cups
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Rangers can't even be given accolades correctly.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456