Page 2 of 453 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: General Political Thread: News, Slander & Debate

The artist formerly known as Mr. Smith Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Greggy Gloom View Post
    We have to pick a dictator first. And let's call it a benevolent dictatorship so we don't scare the children.
    History has proven that at least in the immediate sense, Dictatorships and monarchies are more effective in getting things done. The reasons are obvious, but i've always found it interesting.
    Hidden Content

Did everything just taste purple for a second?

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    History has proven that at least in the immediate sense, Dictatorships and monarchies are more effective in getting things done. The reasons are obvious, but i've always found it interesting.
    Are these things positive or negative for the populous?

Sighing Dutchman BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    Are these things positive or negative for the populous?
    At first positive, the longer the dictator says in power the more negative it gets.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    Hidden Content

Both. While our system works in some respects, there is almost always a 50% majority for or against something, so nothing is truly getting done. It took a year and a half to get Universal Health Care Passed. It took Hitler 5 seconds to say, "lets build a national roads system" or Queen Elizabeth I or King James VI to expand the British Empire.

Having said that, I like the fact that i am not going to be whisked away as a traitor to the state for disagreeing with our leader. But i dont like political stalemate.
    Hidden Content

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    [YOUTUBE]frM-GPAjzDY[/YOUTUBE]
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division Niagaraiceman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    At first positive, the longer the dictator says in power the more negative it gets.
    So what you are saying is a dictatorship is short-sighted and not for the long haul?

Sounds effective!

Quote Originally Posted by Niagaraiceman View Post
    So what you are saying is a dictatorship is short-sighted and not for the long haul?

Sounds effective!
    Modern american democracy is just as effective. Except it has lasted longer. Long-term and America can't be used effectively in a sentence other than this.
    Hidden Content

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    [YOUTUBE]frM-GPAjzDY[/YOUTUBE]
    who the fuck is Dick Morris, and why the hell does anyone give him air time?

Modern american democracy is just as effective. Except it has lasted longer. Long-term and America can't be used effectively in a sentence other than this.
    i was being sarcastic. There is no such thing as a perfect government. In fact, there is no such thing as an efficient government. IMO, people just have to take the good with the bad and hope it doesn't affect quality of life.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    The best political system would be communism, "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need". It's the "each" that fucks that up, since man is both lazy and greedy if allowed to be. On the furthest end from that we find dictatorships, "from each and to each as decided by one". Our quasi-representative democratic capitalist system here in the US, in it's ideal, is a compromise between these two idealogies. In theory what we'd see in the US is "from each according to his ability and effort, to each what that effort and ability are worth to society". In practice though, it's more like, "from each what he can influence, to each what that influence can sustain."

So then, our society is based not on the reward of ability and effort (the American Dream) but instead on one's ability to be political in a given situation, be that in the work place, government arena or even within the family unit.

Quote Originally Posted by RangersFan 31 View Post
    Youtube will film anyone these days!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Not Here View Post
    The best political system would be communism, "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need". It's the "each" that fucks that up, since man is both lazy and greedy if allowed to be. On the furthest end from that we find dictatorships, "from each and to each as decided by one". Our representative democracy here in the US, in it's ideal, is a compromise between these two idealogies. In theory what we'd see in the US is "from each according to his ability and effort, to each what that effort and ability are worth to society". In practice though, it's more like, "from each what he can influence, to each what that influence can sustain."

So then, our society is based not on the reward of ability and effort (the American Dream) but instead on one's ability to be political in a given situation, be that in the work place, government arena or even within the family unit.
    We live in a society that promotes both equality and individualism. Things that don't necessarily go together all that well.

I ask my students how they feel about the American Dream. The reaction is not too favorable. In fact, it is the one thing that gets them fired up for debate. I'll take it!

i was being sarcastic. There is no such thing as a perfect government. In fact, there is no such thing as an efficient government. IMO, people just have to take the good with the bad and hope it doesn't affect quality of life.
    Hah thats what i figured, but its true. I don't think any real government thinks in the long-term. The closest you had were the Soviet 5 year plans. And even that is debatable.

So yes, just take the good with the bad. We aren't here long enough to crusade.
    Hidden Content

Hah thats what i figured, but its true. I don't think any real government thinks in the long-term. The closest you had were the Soviet 5 year plans. And even that is debatable.

So yes, just take the good with the bad. We aren't here long enough to crusade.
    Well, the disemination of information, going back to the printing press has limited government power. It's why censorship is one of the strongest political tools a government can possess next to the ability and willingness to kill in mass.

Senior Member Junior Division
    The best political system would be communism, "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need". It's the "each" that fucks that up, since man is both lazy and greedy if allowed to be. On the furthest end from that we find dictatorships, "from each and to each as decided by one". Our quasi-representative democratic capitalist system here in the US, in it's ideal, is a compromise between these two idealogies. In theory what we'd see in the US is "from each according to his ability and effort, to each what that effort and ability are worth to society". In practice though, it's more like, "from each what he can influence, to each what that influence can sustain."

Exactly. Everything you just said is spot on. Enjoy some rep. points.

Agreed, the "internet" of the Northern Renaissance really changed the way the world worked. Imagine if the Catholic church was not checked by the reformation, where the world would be today.

Another what if question from the boards history prof. lol

We live in a society that promotes both equality and individualism. Things that don't necessarily go together all that well.

I ask my students how they feel about the American Dream. The reaction is not too favorable. In fact, it is the one thing that gets them fired up for debate. I'll take it!
    I'd say more than those two things, our society rewards leadership. The more people you can influence into your way of thinking, through what ever means, the more power you can obtain. Whether that's economic power (getting people to produce for you), political power (vote for you) or despotic power (getting people to commit crimes for you), the end result is that you are as powerful as you can extend your will through others' efforts.

Former Moderator BSBH Legend

Agree 100%.

Add into that, the human condition promotes "What's mine is mine, and what's yours is mine." I guess that's under your "greed" umbrella.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RangersFan 31 View Post
    Known for his time as a political advisor to Clinton.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Agreed, the "internet" of the Northern Renaissance really changed the way the world worked. Imagine if the Catholic church was not checked by the reformation, where the world would be today.

Another what if question from the boards history prof. lol
    That's exactly my point. If not for the means for mass communication, we'd still as a planet be largely lead by religious doctrine, the original form of government.

Page 2 of 453 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast