Page 11 of 521 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111511 ... LastLast

Thread: General Political Thread: News, Slander & Debate

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    But sometimes you have to go for the low paying job to get the experience and once you have the experience the bigger jobs will come to you. A lawyer can start out a a public defender or working for the DA's office, its not a lot of money, but you get your foot in the door and learn how to do the job right. Same can be said with doctors, start in a clinic or a hospital. The problem is that most people today dont want to go that route, so instead of taking those jobs they say there is nothing out there ad sit home and collect unemployment instead of going to get any job to help pay there bills.
    Great. Now, what if you trained to be a contract lawyer? Not interchangeable!

Plus, being a public defender requires public funding which, if you've been watching the news, is being SLASHED ALL OVER THE PLACE.

Public Clinics...ARE BEING SLASHED ALL OVER THE PLACE.

Those aren't realistic options.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend

How Ignorant Are Americans?

http://www.newsweek.com/2011/03/20/how-dumb-are-we.html

NEWSWEEK gave 1,000 Americans the U.S. Citizenship Test--38 percent failed. The country's future is imperiled by our ignorance.
    They’re the sort of scores that drive high-school history teachers to drink. When NEWSWEEK recently asked 1,000 U.S. citizens to take America’s official citizenship test, 29 percent couldn’t name the vice president. Seventy-three percent couldn’t correctly say why we fought the Cold War. Forty-four percent were unable to define the Bill of Rights. And 6 percent couldn’t even circle Independence Day on a calendar.

Don’t get us wrong: civic ignorance is nothing new. For as long as they’ve existed, Americans have been misunderstanding checks and balances and misidentifying their senators. And they’ve been lamenting the philistinism of their peers ever since pollsters started publishing these dispiriting surveys back in Harry Truman’s day. (He was a president, by the way.) According to a study by Michael X. Delli Carpini, dean of the Annenberg School for Communication, the yearly shifts in civic knowledge since World War II have averaged out to “slightly under 1 percent.”
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Sighing Dutchman BSBH Prospect
    Speaking of ignorance and stupidity.

Scott Walker Rejected $12 Million Of The Specific $150 Million In High-Speed Rail Funds He Now Wants

Millions of dollars of federal funding for specific high-speed rail services that Gov. Scott Walker (R-Wis.) is now requesting were included in the initial batch of grants he rejected for the state of Wisconsin, a federal official tells The Huffington Post.

On Tuesday, Walker appeared to abruptly reverse tone and course by asking the Department of Transportation for $150 million in grants to help pay for high-speed rail improvements. While campaigning for the post he now holds, Walker made a big show of calling for the rejection of more than $800 million in federal funds that had been awarded for Wisconsin, calling it wasteful, if not unneeded, spending.
    Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_842481.html

And yes, he is seeking this money for a different line and a different project - a project leaving Madison out of a train service again, only favoring his beloved Milwaukee - and he is asking for less money, but the project he declined included that very line too.

The guy campaigns against something, rejects initial funds, than figures out his corporate buddies can actually make money out of this and he makes 180 degree turn and is suddenly all in favor of it. The guy is a puppet and a crook. This is why the people of Wisconsin are out in the streets.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    Hidden Content

Senior Member Bantam Division Niagaraiceman's Avatar
    For anyone who would like to take a sample test Citizens test; http://www.800citizen.org/us_citizen..._citizen_test/

I missed 2 questions... That I shouldn't have lol

Quote Originally Posted by Niagaraiceman View Post
    For anyone who would like to take a sample test Citizens test; http://www.800citizen.org/us_citizen..._citizen_test/

I missed 2 questions... That I shouldn't have lol
    I did 20 questions and got a 90% — I missed two I shouldn't have, too.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

I am thinking I am going to give it to my World History Students for my own shits and giggles. See how they do

I did 20 and got just 14 right. That's good enough to pass, but I need some practice than.
    Hidden Content

The artist formerly known as Mr. Smith Junior Division
    Got one wrong, the senatorial term limit, out of 26. But this was in the print edition quiz.
    Hidden Content

Did everything just taste purple for a second?

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Woo I got a 100% Does that mean I'm an official American?

No, because you obviously cheated. No real American would know all the right answers!

Screw it I want to go to college in Canada anyway

Communist! Quick! Call fox news!

But apparently making $5000 is enough to warrant owing a little money to the government. Oh well, potholes around town need fixing

You actually have to pay? That is unreal... I hear ya though, if my wife wasn't in College, we would have to pay in too, and I make peanuts

I mean, it's $73 which is literally nothing. No big deal, since I like roads, firemen, some cops, national parks and the coast guard

- John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhommy View Post
    Great. Now, what if you trained to be a contract lawyer? Not interchangeable!

Plus, being a public defender requires public funding which, if you've been watching the news, is being SLASHED ALL OVER THE PLACE.

Public Clinics...ARE BEING SLASHED ALL OVER THE PLACE.

Those aren't realistic options.
    Again, we presented some options that might help, however let me be clear. Life is at your own risk. You decide to take a risk when you go to college. The risk is that after spending your time and money you will get a job in your chosen field. It's usually the higher the risk (more money and time) the higher the reward (better paying job). Like with any risk, there is a downside. That downside is that from when you start school to when you finish is going to be anywhere from 2 to 10 years. And in that amount of time, things can, and certainly do, change.
    Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Not Here View Post
    Again, we presented some options that might help, however let me be clear. Life is at your own risk. You decide to take a risk when you go to college. The risk is that after spending your time and money you will get a job in your chosen field. It's usually the higher the risk (more money and time) the higher the reward (better paying job). Like with any risk, there is a downside. That downside is that from when you start school to when you finish is going to be anywhere from 2 to 10 years. And in that amount of time, things can, and certainly do, change.
    It's because of people taking that risk, that our children are than better educated, that science progresses, that lawyers can help us, that our houses are better. We all gain from the risks others have to take and we lose of they don't, shouldn't that at least be a reason to offer them somewhat security or help after they graduate?
    Hidden Content

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    It's because of people taking that risk, that our children are than better educated, that science progresses, that lawyers can help us, that our houses are better. We all gain from the risks others have to take and we lose of they don't, shouldn't that at least be a reason to offer them somewhat security or help after they graduate?
    People will continue to take those risks precisely because of the rewards that they offer, which are numerous. No, I don't think we need additional safety nets for the college educated/under employed, because frankly, who's going to pay for that? We'd have to increase taxes to pay additional benefits beyond unemployement, welfare, etc and we already pay way too much in taxes already.

The American Dream is "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" not "Life, Liberty and the Guarantee of Happiness". The last thing we need is yet another way for people to avoid working in exchange for a free ride, in this case just because they can't find work that is on par with their education.

At it's base, though, the problem is that the more you try to avoid the pain of the downswings of a cylical economy without offsetting that by controlling the upswings, the more fragile that system becomes. It's human nature, I suppose to want the average economy to be the bottom and to still benefit from the upswings, but that human nature is called greed and it is unsustainable.
    Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    as much as i hate to admit that something on fox news was spot on... well it was. this is no longer a free country folks. you'd think more people would be upset.