Page 499 of 521 FirstFirst ... 399449489497498499500501509 ... LastLast
Results 9,961 to 9,980 of 10404

Thread: General Political Thread: News, Slander & Debate

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Chief View Post
    PMSNBC - "“Well unfortunately, the president just got up and walked out,” said Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.). “He asked Speaker Pelosi, “Will you agree to my wall?” She said no."

and it seems Trump DID try to deal -

"Trump himself tweeted: “Just left a meeting with Chuck and Nancy, a total waste of time. I asked what is going to happen in 30 days if I quickly open things up, are you going to approve Border Security which includes a Wall or Steel Barrier? Nancy said, NO. I said bye-bye, nothing else works!”
    So you think Trump is trying to make a deal by offering to re-open the government if he gets the money for the wall? Wasn't that his initial position? My four year old asks for ice cream for dinner. I say no. She then asks me again. And again. Is she trying to make a deal?
    Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    So you think Trump is trying to make a deal by offering to re-open the government if he gets the money for the wall? Wasn't that his initial position? My four year old asks for ice cream for dinner. I say no. She then asks me again. And again. Is she trying to make a deal?
    Yes.

She gets ice cream, you no longer have the headache.

DEAL

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Yes.

She gets ice cream, you no longer have the headache.

DEAL
    I don't negotiate with terrorists.
    Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin

Senior Member Squirt Division
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    I'm curious as to why you couldn't answer a simple question about your take on Trump without attacking the "other side". Do you realize that when you do that, you just make your message less appealing to those who might disagree? Or do you not care about that?
    Let's face it. In today's world no one is going to convince or persuade one to change their dug in opinion from one "side" to the other. And of course a message is taken less serious the more invective, etc is included.

But, I'm curious. Who am I attacking? Schumer? If so, yeah IMO he's IS a dirt bag slimy politician. It's not like Trump gets slammed 24/7

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    As much as I love to have my popcorn on this board, I think this thread needs a little cooling, it's gotten away from debating.

Wow, what has happened to me...
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Quote Originally Posted by NY Chief View Post
    Let's face it. In today's world no one is going to convince or persuade one to change their dug in opinion from one "side" to the other. And of course a message is taken less serious the more invective, etc is included.

But, I'm curious. Who am I attacking? Schumer? If so, yeah IMO he's IS a dirt bag slimy politician. It's not like Trump gets slammed 24/7
    I think that by the way you (and others) are participating here, it's a self fullfilling prophecy. So yes, if people on an internet forum want to play at politics rather than engage in thoughtful debate on current events, then what you'll get is name calling, dug in positions, and not much else.

However, I've had plenty of conversations here that have changed my opinion on topics. I've experienced others changing their opinions. Sometimes those opinion changes are just understanding that some things, like building a wall on the southern border, have both costs and benefits.

There's a way to have these discussions in a positive environment where everyone explains their positions, where they differ, and attempt in good faith to understand other's positions.

And then there's the monkey flinging shit at the zoo show that's been going on in this thread.

day-to-day Midget Division
    Washington power politics is above my pay grade. Hopefully all the federal employees will get to go back to work soon. The pawns, if you will. Because the pawns don't like to be used in political games, and don't like to think of themselves as pawns.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Lol good stuff, copy pasta:

Trump is asking for 5.7 Billion out of an annual budget of 4.407 Trillion.... In other words, Trump is asking for $57 out of a budget of $44,070... Think about that. Imagine your other half saying “ We’re not going back to work, the kids aren’t getting their allowances and no bills are being paid until you give up the idea of spending $57 to fence in our yard “. This is what Pelosi and Schumer have halted our government for. Puts things into perspective.
    All politics baby.

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Where is that quoted from? We need a link.

Regardless, that same analogy applies to Trump given he started it. Literally.

"The kids aren't getting their allowances and no bills are being paid because Trump is throwing a tantrum over his $57 fence — one he's claiming the family cannot function without because it's the only thing keeping them safe from thieves and burglars. Who, apparently, can't climb over one."
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Where is that quoted from? We need a link.

Regardless, that same analogy applies to Trump given he started it. Literally.

"The kids aren't getting their allowances and no bills are being paid because Trump is throwing a tantrum over his $57 fence — one he's claiming the family cannot function without because it's the only thing keeping them safe from thieves and burglars. Who, apparently, can't climb over one."
    Why does it matter where it's quoted from? It's just a simple analogy, but based off of real numbers and percentages. The 2019 budget is 4.407 trillion dollars (https://www.thebalance.com/u-s-feder...akdown-3305789).

I think it is obvious a physical structure is better than not having a physical structure. It's not all that's needed like Trump tries to sell (oversell), but it would help. It baffles me anyone can even argue that point.

On edit: The analogy doesn't really apply to Trump. Perhaps "throwing a tantrum". But he's not throwing a tantrum on the cost, so it's not really the same thing.
    Last edited by rmc51; 01-10-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Why does it matter where it's quoted from? It's just a simple analogy, but based off of real numbers and percentages. The 2019 budget is 4.407 trillion dollars (https://www.thebalance.com/u-s-feder...akdown-3305789).

I think it is obvious a physical structure is better than not having a physical structure. It's not all that's needed like Trump tries to sell (oversell), but it would help. It baffles me anyone can even argue that point.

On edit: The analogy doesn't really apply to Trump. Perhaps "throwing a tantrum". But he's not throwing a tantrum on the cost, so it's not really the same thing.
    Because you didn't write it. You need to credit where it is coming from, or provide a link if you're going to quote it. See our rules on plagiarism under 1. General Rules > H. Plagiarism & Copyrights

Second, I'm not sure anyone is actually arguing that border security doesn't matter. Please don't erect strawmen because they're easier to fight.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Banned BSBH Legend

How much would it help? There is already a barrier there. They're suggesting putting more barrier over areas people aren't coming in.

Again, most illegals come in legally, to start. Then they overstay.

This isn't a national emergency. If this is an emergency, what was 9/11? Katrina?

This is simply so Trump can save face to his base and the Dems have every right not to let him.

I'd imagine he also views it as a monument to his presidency given it was his biggest campaign promise. Seeing as he's effectively failed on all other promises, it's not difficult to see why he'd be so die-hard about this one. He doesn't have much left to hang his hat on.

At the risk of sounding terse, "the wall" is a fake solution to a fake problem.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Because you didn't write it. You need to credit where it is coming from, or provide a link if you're going to quote it. See our rules on plagiarism under 1. General Rules > H. Plagiarism & Copyrights

Second, I'm not sure anyone is actually arguing that border security doesn't matter. Please don't erect strawmen because they're easier to fight.
    It wasn't in an article. I saw it shared on Facebook. If it was out of an actual article I would reference it.

It wasn't in an article. I saw it shared on Facebook. If it was out of an actual article I would reference it.
    Alright. Well, in the future, try to source these things. It's not a big deal, but it's important that we don't get into the habit of posting other peoples' words without attribution. Hope you understand.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    How much would it help? There is already a barrier there. They're suggesting putting more barrier over areas people aren't coming in.
    Proof?

Again, most illegals come in legally, to start. Then they overstay.
    Separate problem.

This isn't a national emergency. If this is an emergency, what was 9/11? Katrina?
    Agreed.

This is simply so Trump can save face to his base
    Possibly, even most likely. Doesn't change the fact (to me) a wall is better than no wall. I don't care whether Trump meets his objectives or not. I only care if I think something helps solve a problem.

and the Dems have every right not to let him.
    That's politics. I don't buy any of their public reasoning.

Banned BSBH Legend
    Proof?

Separate problem.

Agreed.

Possibly, even most likely. Doesn't change the fact (to me) a wall is better than no wall. I don't care whether Trump meets his objectives or not. I only care if I think something helps solve a problem.

That's politics. I don't buy any of their public reasoning.
    Proof of what? That there is already fencing?

Proof of what? That there is already fencing?
    Yup, along everywhere that Trump wants to put a wall.

Banned BSBH Legend
    Yup, along everywhere that Trump wants to put a wall.
    Go back and read what I wrote.

Go back and read what I wrote.
    Ok. You said there is already a barrier there. Is that your proof?