Page 1 of 453 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: General Political Thread: News, Slander & Debate

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

General Political Thread: News, Slander & Debate

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com...oversialtopics

Are there any topics we can't discuss here like religion or politics?

Short answer — no. Real life politics/religious debates are generally mud-slinging contests as it is, so it would be disingenuous and slightly hypocritical of the Forum to bar you from discussing either for the very same reasons. Just please keep in mind that when discussing either topic, it can (and often will) get heated. If you are the type of person who is easily offended, simply avoid those topics outright and there will be no issue.
    --

While the line might be a little more vague here, you are still required to follow Forum rules when participating in this thread. That means that all the same conventional rules apply, including rules against Flaming/insulting other member, flooding, padding, etc. etc.

This section, in reality, should be NO DIFFERENT than any other on the forum. That means that regardless of the topic at hand, you shouldn't be taking things to a personal level no matter what is going on.
    Last edited by Phil in Absentia; 06-01-2012 at 10:21 AM.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Sighing Dutchman BSBH Prospect
    Just had provincial elections, kind of like elections for the "state parliaments" and they elect the members of the Senate. The outcome appears to be a minor victory for the liberals and left wing conservatives, thereby blocking our current (new) right wing conservative administration. Wonder what happens next, it'll be interesting and hopefully this is a chance to block some of the budget cuts on health care and education, which would both be monumental mistakes.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    Hidden Content

Raanta and Raving BSBH Prospect
    the only thread i will be the last active in

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

Armed guards save Dutch couple from Somali pirates

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/piracy

NAIROBI, Kenya – The head of a private security company says his guards retook a yacht from Somali pirates after the Dutch couple on board locked themselves in a safe room.

Thomas Jakobsson of Naval Guards said Thursday that six of his guards were accompanying the Capricorn yacht on a separate motorboat. Six armed pirates were able to get aboard the Capricorn but the Dutch couple barricaded themselves in the boat.

Jakobsson says his men had a brief exchange of fire with the pirates before retaking the Capricorn with no casualties on either side.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    No casualties? Why the F not?

I'd make those ass holes walk the plank with weights tied to their feet.
    Or as the Somali's do, drag their naked bodies behind a truck through the town.

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome Wasn't Built in a Day View Post
    All of these pirates should be shot on sight, maybe once its done a couple of times, they will think twice about trying to hijack another boat.

Senior Member Bantam Division Niagaraiceman's Avatar
    Pretty Interesting Article on the State of American Politics:

http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,...056610,00.html

Take From it what you will, but I think it is spot on.

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    I feel like I'm taking one of the more ridiculous classes ever. It's called Pluralism and Diversity in America (PDA). It's a speech class, and so far we've gone over Black English as it's own dialect because "it's understood between people" and this is just some of the most racist BS I've ever heard, and that's coming from a white guy. Now we're talking about Judaism, Hebrew, Yiddish and "Yinglish". I'm getting college credit for a class based on stupid stereotypes? It's also a required course for the Honors Program I'm in.

Banned Midget Division Greggy Gloom's Avatar
    Had an English professor my first semester in college who said anyone who opposed Obama's health care plan was evil. Guess what was on the list of topics to choose from for the next paper.

So much for not letting personal opinion cloud professional judgment.

In Vigneault, Veritas BSBH Prospect
    I took a class in which my professor adamantly blamed the Jews for the Arab-Israeli conflict on grounds that they had no claim to the land and should have created the Jewish homeland in Uganda.

After thoroughly counterpointing him in front of the entire class on the basis that the Jews didn't actually decide the location of their homeland (the British did), and that Uganda has absolutely zero significance in the religious history of the Jews, he promptly asked me to shut up. At this point, I asked him which university actually awarded a PhD to a man who has literally just tried to argue something utterly ridiculous and got summarily beaten in said argument by a mere underclassman.

Needless to say, I had to drop the class due to the fear that he would actually fail me on grounds that I didn't agree with him.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

I called out a professor last semester on the fact that we are a republic, not a democracy. Nothing major, but it put her in her place. She went on and on about how the founding fathers were "brilliant" and how they were revolutionaries for creating a democracy. Fool. The founding fathers put in the electoral college so that we would NEVER become a democracy. And thank God for that. The voting population of this country is too stupid to handle a direct election.

#1 Sidney Crosby Hater Mite Division Klions99's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greggy Gloom View Post
    I called out a professor last semester on the fact that we are a republic, not a democracy. Nothing major, but it put her in her place. She went on and on about how the founding fathers were "brilliant" and how they were revolutionaries for creating a democracy. Fool. The founding fathers put in the electoral college so that we would NEVER become a democracy. And thank God for that. The voting population of this country is too stupid to handle a direct election.
    I think that is as a direct result of our horrible education system which people still contend we do not spend enough on.

FAIL!
    LET'S GO RANGERS!!!

Completely agree about the general consensus of the voting population of this country. Far too many uninformed and/or ignorant people for us to directly choose our own leaders. That being said, it pains me that this government can never and will never get anything done. It's frustrating how it's a giant circle of bullshit where a bill passes and then there are bills to undo the recently passed bills. Honestly, lets just get a dictatorship so one man can make the decisions and we don't go back and forth forever about it

Quote Originally Posted by Rhommy View Post
    I took a class in which my professor adamantly blamed the Jews for the Arab-Israeli conflict on grounds that they had no claim to the land and should have created the Jewish homeland in Uganda.

After thoroughly counterpointing him in front of the entire class on the basis that the Jews didn't actually decide the location of their homeland (the British did), and that Uganda has absolutely zero significance in the religious history of the Jews, he promptly asked me to shut up. At this point, I asked him which university actually awarded a PhD to a man who has literally just tried to argue something utterly ridiculous and got summarily beaten in said argument by a mere underclassman.

Needless to say, I had to drop the class due to the fear that he would actually fail me on grounds that I didn't agree with him.
    Where was his PhD from? Curious

Also point of clarification: I actually really like the professor. He's a nice guy, openly shares his views but also takes input from the class about their views, ideas and beliefs.. He's not a dictator or arrogant or an egotistic bastard. He's a really chill guy, I just think that the grounds of the actual class are a bit absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Cash or Czech? View Post
    Completely agree about the general consensus of the voting population of this country. Far too many uninformed and/or ignorant people for us to directly choose our own leaders. That being said, it pains me that this government can never and will never get anything done. It's frustrating how it's a giant circle of bullshit where a bill passes and then there are bills to undo the recently passed bills. Honestly, lets just get a dictatorship so one man can make the decisions and we don't go back and forth forever about it
    I agree. Let's have one corrupt man ruin this country instead of hundreds. I'm not being sarcastic either.

I agree. Let's have one corrupt man ruin this country instead of hundreds. I'm not being sarcastic either.
    Well I guess you and I should start a campaign First thing to get done is it to create a catchy slogan

Well I guess you and I should start a campaign First thing to get done is it to create a catchy slogan
    We have to pick a dictator first. And let's call it a benevolent dictatorship so we don't scare the children.

We have to pick a dictator first. And let's call it a benevolent dictatorship so we don't scare the children.
    Hmm...I wonder who is available to run a country at this point in time. I hear this guy Mubarek is available after a nice 30-year run in Egypt. I'll call his agent and campaign manager.

Hmm...I wonder who is available to run a country at this point in time. I hear this guy Mubarek is available after a nice 30-year run in Egypt. I'll call his agent and campaign manager.
    How about Bin Laden? Oh wait, he's dead.

Page 1 of 453 1231151101 ... LastLast