Page 486 of 490 FirstFirst ... 386436476484485486487488 ... LastLast
Results 9,701 to 9,720 of 9792

Thread: General Political Thread: News, Slander & Debate

  1. #9701
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,418
    Rep Power
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Can’t overturn the military. They’re the biggest push behind most technology and innovation. I’m fine with taking that private, too.

    And isn’t pbs publically funded? That’s what their commercials say. (But again - fear)
    They're coming for you guns! See, your hypocrisy is rampant.

  2. #9702
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,375
    Rep Power
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    no one will ever overturn Roe vs Wade. not unless this country is going to be overrun by the likes of Pat Robertson, which will never happen. Democrats bring up Roe Vs Wage with every Republican being nominated to any civil post. Its fear mongering by the democrats.
    Maybe not, but they'll chip away at it at the State level, making it harder, if not practically impossible, to get services in states like Texas.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  3. #9703
    Banned Midget Division
    CCCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,169
    Rep Power
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Maybe not, but they'll chip away at it at the State level, making it harder, if not practically impossible, to get services in states like Texas.
    wouldn't that mean overturning Roe vs Wage if they were to give to states to decide? Roe vs Wade is a federal law

  4. #9704
    Member Mite Division RodrigueGabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    DC Area
    Posts
    96
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    wouldn't that mean overturning Roe vs Wage if they were to give to states to decide? Roe vs Wade is a federal law
    Texas, Mississippi and other states have been trying to kill Roe with 1000 cuts. These include requirements that providers have admitting privileges at local hospitals and other regulations that would essentially make it impossible for clinics to operate. These regs skirt the question of the right to a safe abortion but ultimately disable it if allowed to stand.

    Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

  5. #9705
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25,036
    Rep Power
    261
    just tell them it will lead to more minority voters in the future.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  6. #9706
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,418
    Rep Power
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    just tell them it will lead to more minority voters in the future.
    Isn't voter suppression your guy's specialty?

  7. #9707
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25,036
    Rep Power
    261
    only if you believe yahoo articles
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  8. #9708
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,418
    Rep Power
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    only if you believe yahoo articles
    Huffpost.

  9. #9709
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,375
    Rep Power
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    wouldn't that mean overturning Roe vs Wage if they were to give to states to decide? Roe vs Wade is a federal law
    Quote Originally Posted by RodrigueGabriel View Post
    Texas, Mississippi and other states have been trying to kill Roe with 1000 cuts. These include requirements that providers have admitting privileges at local hospitals and other regulations that would essentially make it impossible for clinics to operate. These regs skirt the question of the right to a safe abortion but ultimately disable it if allowed to stand.

    Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk
    TRAP laws, the requirement that patients undergoe an ultrasound in order to qualify for an abortion (an attempt designed to evoke an emotional response so the woman second guesses her choice), mandatory waiting periods in order to receive an abortion, and state-level bans once pregnancy has surpassed a specific number of weeks are all going to be part of the GOP's "Death by 1000 Cuts" approach. All of which would almost certainly be upheld by a 5-4 conservative Supreme Court should any cases get to them.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  10. #9710
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,194
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    TRAP laws, the requirement that patients undergoe an ultrasound in order to qualify for an abortion (an attempt designed to evoke an emotional response so the woman second guesses her choice), mandatory waiting periods in order to receive an abortion, and state-level bans once pregnancy has surpassed a specific number of weeks are all going to be part of the GOP's "Death by 1000 Cuts" approach. All of which would almost certainly be upheld by a 5-4 conservative Supreme Court should any cases get to them.
    Pro-choice folks, do you support partial birth abortions? Does the number of weeks matter?

  11. #9711
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,375
    Rep Power
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Pro-choice folks, do you support partial birth abortions? Does the number of weeks matter?
    First off, partial-birth is a political term, not a medical one. That's an important distinction to make. It's designed to humanize fetuses specifically for this reason.

    The answer to the question is not black and white. It's complicated and entirely dependent on the circumstances. If the fetus has developed specific conditions, like severe brain damage, major deformity, or has placed the mother at severe risk, then yes, probably. But as a general rule of thumb I defer to the 20-week rule.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  12. #9712
    Member Mite Division RodrigueGabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    DC Area
    Posts
    96
    Rep Power
    7
    This question should be between a woman and her doctor. Few would choose this route.

    Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

  13. #9713
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25,036
    Rep Power
    261
    only if medically necessary, IMO.

    also not worth the time, energy and money to fight it. Instead, tie em up while youre in there.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  14. #9714
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,194
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    First off, partial-birth is a political term, not a medical one. That's an important distinction to make. It's designed to humanize fetuses specifically for this reason.

    The answer to the question is not black and white. It's complicated and entirely dependent on the circumstances. If the fetus has developed specific conditions, like severe brain damage, major deformity, or has placed the mother at severe risk, then yes, probably. But as a general rule of thumb I defer to the 20-week rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    only if medically necessary, IMO.

    also not worth the time, energy and money to fight it. Instead, tie em up while youre in there.
    I agree with medical necessity, and rape cases.

    What's special about 20 weeks? Seems like an arbitrary number. Like having to be 18 to vote, when there are plenty of 16 year olds that could make more informed decisions than idiots in their mid 20's. So an abortion at 19 weeks and 6 days is ok today, but tomorrow its not? I don't agree with having a cut off date in terms of number of weeks.

    I think it would be far easier, for people making the choice to engage in actions that may produce a baby, to get an IUD. I think people should make good choice BEFORE the consequences of their actions happen. Make the choice to not have unprotected sex with random, untrustworthy people. If birth control needs to be more affordable and accessible I support that. What I can't wrap my head around is when you decide to get an abortion at 4 weeks you're just making a choice, but 9 months later you kill the 1 month old baby you don't want and throw it in a dumpster you're going to prison. To me that is the same life being killed.

  15. #9715
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,375
    Rep Power
    419
    The significance of 20 weeks is with regard to the development of the fetus. I wouldn't personally abort anything, unless medically required, or in the case of major deformity, that close. But from a medical perspective it's a fairly common "cutoff".
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  16. #9716
    Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,018
    Rep Power
    261
    You probably shouldn't watch a 12 week ultrasound, then.

  17. #9717
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,541
    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    The significance of 20 weeks is with regard to the development of the fetus. I wouldn't personally abort anything, unless medically required, or in the case of major deformity, that close. But from a medical perspective it's a fairly common "cutoff".
    20 weeks seems kind of late. You can deliver a premature baby at 23 weeks and it can still survive. Im prochoice, but even I wouldn't be fine with 20 weeks, thats too late into the pregnancy, IMO, unless its an extreme medical emergency.

  18. #9718
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,375
    Rep Power
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    You probably shouldn't watch a 12 week ultrasound, then.
    You must have missed the part when I said I wouldn't do it personally. Any abortion decision on my end, if I even made one at all, would likely happen almost immediately.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  19. #9719
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,418
    Rep Power
    489
    This is the great part about being pro-choice. What I would do doesn't matter, except when I'm making my own decisions, for me.

    Which would be never, because I'm not carrying a baby. But were my opinion from the mother be asked, I would share.

    I think the point most are missing here is that none of you have the right to tell a pregnant woman what to do. Your values, your morals, your thoughts, your beliefs don't matter if a woman in Oklahoma wants an abortion.

  20. #9720
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25,036
    Rep Power
    261
    I also don’t think one should have the right to kill a baby because he/she doesn’t understand the reproductive process.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •