Page 476 of 521 FirstFirst ... 376426466474475476477478486 ... LastLast
Results 9,501 to 9,520 of 10404

Thread: General Political Thread: News, Slander & Debate

  1. #9501
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,282
    Rep Power
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Thereís no market when it comes to big pharm.
    Yes I'm agreeing.

    They set the market at whatever they want.

    That's not govt.

    That's corruption driven by "capitalism".

    Just another word for greed.

  2. #9502
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    27,635
    Rep Power
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes I'm agreeing.

    They set the market at whatever they want.

    That's not govt.

    That's corruption driven by "capitalism".

    Just another word for greed.
    No, that’s not capitalism.

    There are too many regulations.
    There is no free market
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  3. #9503
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,282
    Rep Power
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    No, thatís not capitalism.

    There are too many regulations.
    There is no free market
    Hahahaha. No.

  4. #9504
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,592
    Rep Power
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    So this system is worse for the poor, worse for the rich, and worse for the working middle class.
    It would be better for the poor. Some people remain on government assistance because they can only earn slightly more working full time and have to pay for child care. Let's say someone with kids on welfare could get a job working for $9/hour over a 40 hour work week. That's going to pay them $18,720 per year if they miss no time. But then they have to pay, at mimimum, a few hundred a month in child care. If welfare pays them a similar wage, they have less incentive to work. Under UBI, that person would now make $38,720 if they work that same job.

    It is better for the middle class as well. Let's take a family of four. Lets say mom and dad earn $50,000 a year each, so $100,000 total. Now they're up to $140,000, and they have no out of pocket healthcare costs. Now, their taxes will go up, so some of that will be offset.

    What about small businesses? Yes, it helps small businesses. Small businesses benefit from having full time employees who are more invested in the business, but because they have to provide health care for those employees, the cost can be prohibitive. That cost is gone. Plus, people who don't have to worry about ever starving or not being able to see a doctor when they're really sick, that's a happier person. A happier employee.

    Now the rich. Yes, it will be worse for the rich for a little while, because they're going to have their taxes go up significantly to help offset these costs. But here's the thing, the rich are going to benefit hugely by the automation technology that will be displacing workers and making UBI even more important. The rich will also benefit because there will be less poor people. The people below the rich typically spend a high percentage of their income. And that money flows upwards. Plus, the rich have lived high on the hog, had more than their fair share of influence, for as long as this country has been around. It's time for them to give just a little something back.

    And if they don't like it, they can go elsewhere. However, if they want to exist in the developed world, I think they're going to find UBI as more of a standard. Because there will simply not be enough jobs when the machines and AI are doing a high percentage of menial physical and mental tasks. It's not just manufacturing that is getting replaced, it's transportation/trucking, food service, support staff in offices, janitorial staff, heck, probably even low level mental occupations like legal services which can be better performed by an AI asking leading questions. And medical will follow that, where computers can diagnose and treat at the highest standards of our medical knowledge.

    There will simply be programming jobs. Lots and lots of programming jobs. And research and development. And probably a boom in the mental health fields to assist those having trouble adapting.
    Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin

  5. #9505
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    27,635
    Rep Power
    331
    You already said I’d get nothing else.

    That shows a seriously lack of the current system, if you think your proposal is better, Dave.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  6. #9506
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    27,635
    Rep Power
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Hahahaha. No.
    Literally, yes.

    It’s a fact.

    Hahahahaha
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  7. #9507
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,282
    Rep Power
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    It would be better for the poor. Some people remain on government assistance because they can only earn slightly more working full time and have to pay for child care. Let's say someone with kids on welfare could get a job working for $9/hour over a 40 hour work week. That's going to pay them $18,720 per year if they miss no time. But then they have to pay, at mimimum, a few hundred a month in child care. If welfare pays them a similar wage, they have less incentive to work. Under UBI, that person would now make $38,720 if they work that same job.

    It is better for the middle class as well. Let's take a family of four. Lets say mom and dad earn $50,000 a year each, so $100,000 total. Now they're up to $140,000, and they have no out of pocket healthcare costs. Now, their taxes will go up, so some of that will be offset.

    What about small businesses? Yes, it helps small businesses. Small businesses benefit from having full time employees who are more invested in the business, but because they have to provide health care for those employees, the cost can be prohibitive. That cost is gone. Plus, people who don't have to worry about ever starving or not being able to see a doctor when they're really sick, that's a happier person. A happier employee.

    Now the rich. Yes, it will be worse for the rich for a little while, because they're going to have their taxes go up significantly to help offset these costs. But here's the thing, the rich are going to benefit hugely by the automation technology that will be displacing workers and making UBI even more important. The rich will also benefit because there will be less poor people. The people below the rich typically spend a high percentage of their income. And that money flows upwards. Plus, the rich have lived high on the hog, had more than their fair share of influence, for as long as this country has been around. It's time for them to give just a little something back.

    And if they don't like it, they can go elsewhere. However, if they want to exist in the developed world, I think they're going to find UBI as more of a standard. Because there will simply not be enough jobs when the machines and AI are doing a high percentage of menial physical and mental tasks. It's not just manufacturing that is getting replaced, it's transportation/trucking, food service, support staff in offices, janitorial staff, heck, probably even low level mental occupations like legal services which can be better performed by an AI asking leading questions. And medical will follow that, where computers can diagnose and treat at the highest standards of our medical knowledge.

    There will simply be programming jobs. Lots and lots of programming jobs. And research and development. And probably a boom in the mental health fields to assist those having trouble adapting.
    Love what you said about happier employees.

    Unfortunately the ruling class see us as cattle and don't really care about that.

  8. #9508
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    27,635
    Rep Power
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Love what you said about happier employees.

    Unfortunately the ruling class see us as cattle and don't really care about that.
    No, that’s just because you choose to work in a large corporation in a corrupt “capitalist” city

    You’re probably wearing pajamas with a logo right now
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  9. #9509
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    27,635
    Rep Power
    331
    I like capitalism because it allows me the chance.
    It enables me to try.
    It allows me to buy the best car, the best house, the best phone, the best education, and the nice close I can afford to buy.

    You complain about capitalism with your bigger salary, in your nicer city, in your bigger house, on your brand new phone, in your designer suit, wearing your expensive shoes...

    In the words of 300 million less privileged Americans, shut up.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  10. #9510
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,282
    Rep Power
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I like capitalism because it allows me the chance.
    It enables me to try.
    It allows me to buy the best car, the best house, the best phone, the best education, and the nice close I can afford to buy.

    You complain about capitalism with your bigger salary, in your nicer city, in your bigger house, on your brand new phone, in your designer suit, wearing your expensive shoes...

    In the words of 300 million less privileged Americans, shut up.
    I'm willing to bet your house is bigger than mine. Don't you have 2?

    My phone is 3 years old and company paid.

    I wear jeans and Chuck Taylor's to work (close to 80 hours a week, thanks capitalism and corporate greed!). Oh, btw my wife works around 50 so we can afford child care. Market sets the price! My kids preschool probably costs more than your mortgage, monthly.

    In the words of one person who you know nothing about...shut the fuck up. It's not privilege it's work. And I'd still put my hand in my pocket to help someone worse off...would you? Nah...people worse off than you are just lazy, amirite?

    (PS...even if I lived the life you envision, that's still not the life of the top 1% who have 90% of the wealth. It's a shame you can't wrap your head around THAT being the issue)
    Last edited by Pete; 08-03-2018 at 07:06 AM.

  11. #9511
    The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Morphinity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,411
    Rep Power
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I like capitalism because it allows me the chance.
    It enables me to try.
    It allows me to buy the best car, the best house, the best phone, the best education, and the nice close I can afford to buy.

    You complain about capitalism with your bigger salary, in your nicer city, in your bigger house, on your brand new phone, in your designer suit, wearing your expensive shoes...

    In the words of 300 million less privileged Americans, shut up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm willing to bet your house is bigger than mine. Don't you have 2?

    My phone is 3 years old and company paid.

    I wear jeans and Chuck Taylor's to work (close to 80 hours a week, thanks capitalism and corporate greed!). Oh, btw my wife works around 50 so we can afford child care. Market sets the price! My kids preschool probably costs more than your mortgage, monthly.

    In the words of one person who you know nothing about...shut the fuck up. It's not privilege it's work. And I'd still put my hand in my pocket to help someone worse off...would you? Nah...people worse off than you are just lazy, amirite?

    (PS...even if I lived the life you envision, that's still not the life of the top 1% who have 90% of the wealth. It's a shame you can't wrap your head around THAT being the issue)
    Gonna need this to stop. You both know better. Thanks.

  12. #9512
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,592
    Rep Power
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Love what you said about happier employees.

    Unfortunately the ruling class see us as cattle and don't really care about that.
    I was speaking primarily about small businesses. From my experience many tend to care more about their employees than larger corporations. Although many large corporations are waking up to the data that shows some small expenditures can increase morale.
    Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin

  13. #9513
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,592
    Rep Power
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    You already said Iíd get nothing else.

    That shows a seriously lack of the current system, if you think your proposal is better, Dave.
    Not sure I follow what you're getting at here.
    Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin

  14. #9514
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    27,635
    Rep Power
    331
    What does downstate think of Cuomo?

    Well. What do knowledgeable minds in downstate. I know where stereotypical democrats stand
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  15. #9515
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,700
    Rep Power
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    What does downstate think of Cuomo?

    Well. What do knowledgeable minds in downstate. I know where stereotypical democrats stand
    I can't stand him and his lies. My taxes are sky high, yet all the money goes to NYC. They get free pre-k, while I have to pay for it. And his college program is a joke. Its free college for families that make a combined less than 100K. You can't live down here on that. He is just as bad as his father. Taxes have gone up, but the money doesn't come back to the area. The fear mongering in his political ads is so over the top as well.

  16. #9516
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    So Nashty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,744
    Rep Power
    56
    Cuomo and diblasio are both awful and I canít wait until theyíre both gone.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  17. #9517
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,700
    Rep Power
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    Cuomo and diblasio are both awful and I can’t wait until they’re both gone.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    This. And whats worse is that they both hate each other.

  18. #9518
    Senior Member Junior Division
    BlairBettsBlocksEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,315
    Rep Power
    82
    I'm pretty sure Cuomo is going to win. I don't think Cynthia Nixon should be governor. I already voted for her via absentee though. My rationale is that I don't want him winning by such a strong margin. If he wins 70-30 that's a democratic mandate. if he wins 54-46, that's a whole different story.

    Cuomo is corrupt, plain and simple.

    I am 100 percent convinced he is the reason for the Independent Democratic Conference in the state senate which splintered the Dems and kept Republicans in power. He did this so that when he inevitably runs for president, he would have signed fewer Dem bills and could paint himself as a middle of the road guy.
    __________________________________

  19. #9519
    Senior Member Junior Division
    BlairBettsBlocksEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,315
    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    I can't stand him and his lies. My taxes are sky high, yet all the money goes to NYC. They get free pre-k, while I have to pay for it. And his college program is a joke. Its free college for families that make a combined less than 100K. You can't live down here on that. He is just as bad as his father. Taxes have gone up, but the money doesn't come back to the area. The fear mongering in his political ads is so over the top as well.
    I see you're in LI. The property taxes out there are insane. The state did do a property tax cap that counties couldn't go over but it's ridiculous how much in local taxes you guys pay. I'm surprised that anyone who grew up there can ever actually stay there.
    __________________________________

  20. #9520
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Blue Heaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    10,398
    Rep Power
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    I can't stand him and his lies. My taxes are sky high, yet all the money goes to NYC. They get free pre-k, while I have to pay for it. And his college program is a joke. Its free college for families that make a combined less than 100K. You can't live down here on that. He is just as bad as his father. Taxes have gone up, but the money doesn't come back to the area. The fear mongering in his political ads is so over the top as well.
    I dont think your high LI taxes is b/c of Cuomo. You're taxes are sky high b/c of your suffolk county politicians, your LI taxes go to your schools, police, fire department, etc.....I would think the state tax that we pay does go back into infrastructure, state police, dreaded MTA, and other statewide projects (ie college program)....Does NYC get more state $$$, I would assume so since NYC counts for almost half of the NY state population.

    By the way, I cant stand Cuomo or DeBlasio either, however IMO I think Cynthia Nixon is clueless.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •